Author Topic: No sound/Game won't launch with sound set to headphones  (Read 6327 times)

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
Hello everyone!  I am having the strangest issue with my FFVII build.  When i try to change my system sound output to my USB headphones I can't get FFVII music to launch....  It just says that there is no audio driver available.  I would really like to cast my beautifully modded FFVII but I can't cast it unless I can get the sounds to work though my headphones.  FFVII music works fine if I have my system sound set to speakers and not my headphones.... Please if anyone has any information on how to get FFVII working with headphones please let me know so I can cast this immediately!  Thank you in advance for all your help guys!  sorry if this has been solved prior, but I searched the troubleshooting section and did not see anyone else talking about this same issue so maybe it's a Vista issue or something....  Thanks again everyone!

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Re: No sound/Game won't launch with sound set to headphones
« Reply #1 on: 2012-03-01 21:36:43 »
You have to change the sound driver using the FF7 Configuration link.
You can also launch FF7Config.exe directly from the game folder.
MAKE SURE TO LAUNCH THE APPLICATION AS ADMINISTRATOR!
Go to the SOUND tab and in the SOUND DRIVER drop down list select your USB Headphones.
Now click OK.
You should have sound and music from your headphones now.

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2012-03-07 18:52:05 »
Thanks PitBrat...  that did the trick, and thanks you very very much for the timely response.   My current issue I am having is when I start up the game from FF7 Music and try to move the launched game window it skips all the opening FMV's and goes straight to the "New Game, Continue" screen.  I have been bashing my head against the wall trying to overcome this little annoying feature.  I also need it to not skip the FMV's or at least pause them while I change the game's affinity in the task manager.(default settings for some reason is to run using only one processor and I have to change it to all four if I want smooth performance)  Is there anything I can adjust or set to have it NOT skip the opening FMV upon a button push or window adjustment?  This is a very frustrating problem when trying to cast this because the window NEVER launches in the same place twice so you have to recapture the game window everytime.... and when you do that it skips the FMV's at the beginning....  If there is no solution to this for now that is ok I will survive but my audience is being robbed of the opening FMV's including JordieBo's awesome title screen...  Any help would be greatly appreciated as always! :)

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2012-03-07 20:34:12 »
@Vegadawg2:
  • Open any text editor (Notepad, ...) and put these commands into it
Code: [Select]
start /min               /D "D:\Games\Final Fantasy 7\FF7Music" FF7Music.exe

start /wait /affinity F  /D "D:\Games\Final Fantasy 7"          ff7.exe

taskkill /im FF7Music.exe

• Then save the file using the .bat extension (e.g. FF7-Start.bat)

• Now execute this file   ;)

Vegadawg2

• Admitted Fanboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2012-03-07 20:39:50 »
*Update*  Ok... so not changing the /D did the trick.  It now launches but the sound still falls behind and has to catch up and then pops... probably just an issue with Aali's graphics driver.  I am using .11  You are an awesome individual UGerstl and I thank you for your help.  Also is there a code you could make to make the game launch in the EXACT same place every time. It seems every time I launch it, it opens with a part of the video below my task bar area.  Maybe these intro fmv's weren't meant to be streamed... and if I click anywhere off of the game window it still skips to the "New Game, Continue" screen...  my stuggles can be found at:  www.twitch.tv/vegadawg2
« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 21:15:10 by Vegadawg2 »

UGerstl

• Analyst and Backup-Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2012-03-07 20:48:55 »
You have to change this D:\Games\Final Fantasy 7
accordingly to your FF7 folder.

Don't change the /D parameter !  ( D = Directory )

Code: [Select]
start /min               /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII\FF7Music" FF7Music.exe

start /wait /affinity F  /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Square Soft, Inc\Final Fantasy VII"          ff7.exe

taskkill /im FF7Music.exe

Only execute this file, don't click any other FF7 start icon you normally use.
(FF7.exe , FF7Music.exe , ...)

If you want that the window is every time at the same place, you should
try this little free software AutoSizer.

AutoSizer automatically resizes programs for you, keeping them at a specific size or keeping them maximized. One popular use is to keep Internet Explorer maximized when you go on the web. It works with most software programs, and supports maximizing to specific monitors on multi-monitor computers. Use the handy Always On Top system tray menu to quickly position specific programs above all others.

« Last Edit: 2012-03-07 22:23:35 by UGerstl »

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2012-03-10 20:39:58 »
Not taking any party or wanting to harass people. I'll just state what most people seem to have trouble believing and/or admitting.

The game allows multiple cores. It will allow a great amount of them. The thing is this : The basic FF7 engine does NOT work on multiple cores. What you see is, in fact, the different mods (that are being run, for the most part, by Aali's driver) can run on a different core through Aali's driver. However, if you run an unmodded FF7 on multiple cores it will never be *smoother*. The game itself can *NOT* run on multiple cores. The smoothing you get is what you'd get without mods. And not all mods run will allow use of different cores.

Nota Bene : FF7Music is a completely different program than FF7. It can run on another core without problem.

Note to more knowledgable people that me (mainly Aali and Bosola) : The information above may not be true in part (or at all) because it is partly based off an estimation. That's what I could get with the facts I was able to gather.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2012-03-10 23:52:57 »
FF7 is not multithreaded, at all. It will have no perceivable benefit from running on multiple cores, and in fact could potentially run worse (Windows attempts to split tasks into separate cores for a performance boost, but it's not always good at it). Honestly, since this game is so limited in requirements anyway, the performance "boost" of multiple cores isn't really worth it.

However, as Vgr said, FF7Music (or any mod which runs a separate application or process) could benefit from properly set affinities. But not really, because FF7 + Aali's Driver + FF7Music still has really low requirements (my 1.7GHz pentium 4 laptop from 2005 can run it just fine with these mods, for example).