Author Topic: New to FFVII modding, looking for some info on the PSX version.  (Read 1497 times)

Gnosmosis

I recently found Black Chocobo and Makou Reactor online and have been messing around with them. They are fantastic tools, and that got me thinking about some things I'd like to do to the PSX version if possible. I can do a lot of the stuff I want between those two tools, but there's a few things that they can't do that I'm interested in. I've looked online for this info but can't seem to find the answers. Below I'll state all the things I'm trying to accomplish so you guys will have more info to hopefully point me to where I need to go.

The things I'm hoping to do to my NTSC-U PSX version of FFVII are...

1. Match all the field battle encounter rates to the same values as the original NTSC-J version, to have the original difficulty of the game restored.
(Completed with Makou Reactor)

2. Match the world map encounter rate with that of the original NTSC-J version if they differ.
(No idea how to have that rate displayed to check, or if any programs out there let me change it if I need to)

3. Uncensor all the swears in the game script. *Glances accusingly at Barret*
(Not done yet, but I can also do this with Makou Reactor)

4. Add "Test 0" from the NTSC-J version to the Corel Prison well of the NTSC-U version.
(This is the most complicated thing I want to do, and the main reason for this post. To be able to do this I need access to the battle info of the game. I'm aware of editing scene.bin and I know some tools that can allow me to do it for the PSX version, but I have no idea how to get the scence.bin off the disk in the first place. All the tools simply say to load it, but don't tell me how to extract it from my PSX discs. What is the best tool or program to get the .bins from the PSX version? This is the major roadblock I'm at now.)

Any help or info you guys can share with me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.  : )