Author Topic: Nvidia 700 series  (Read 2621 times)

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Nvidia 700 series
« on: 2013-05-23 23:48:23 »
SLI gtx 780's. Yes or yes? I will be getting EVGA ones because I prefer the EVGA chips over MSI or any other nonsense. I was gonna get 760's but they aren't as good as 670's. 780's on the other hand are better than 690's. The new series is weird like that.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
Re: Nvidia 700 series
« Reply #1 on: 2013-05-24 03:55:25 »
nvidia has betrayed me a lot of times in the near past... especially with the new Tomb Raider and the driver configuration for the tressfx hair. Unfortunately I do not trust ATI for backwards compatibility and modding older games... so what about the Titan series...? Personally I have programmed my next pc upgrade for  the next year's Christmas or when the hasswell processors have been tested and most issues have been solved with the new generation. I will definitely need a new motherboard and power supply by then!
« Last Edit: 2013-05-25 02:28:44 by LeonhartGR »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2013-05-24 15:27:04 »
I could've sworn I already replied to this. I may have responded to the wrong thread, but I can't find it if I did (stupid "show member's posts" feature still doesn't work). Anyway, here's my thoughts on the matter.

The 700 series looks like a reasonable bump, but not enough to warrant upgrading from 600-series cards, IMO. The architecture doesn't appear to have changed at all, which IMO makes the 780 more of a 685 than anything else (right between 680 and Titan).

At any rate, I won't be upgrading. My 660 Ti is more than enough to drive all my games at 60fps (a few of them with slightly reduced settings, but nothing noticeable). I think the series might make great cards for people who need new ones anyway (computer builders, people whose cards died), but for folks who already have 600 series cards it's probably a generation worth skipping. It's a safe bet that the 800-series will have a newer architecture that I'm sure will mean better-than-700-series oomph with lower prices, lower power consumption, and probably new features.

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2013-05-24 18:31:52 »
Well, I currently have SLI 2gb EVGA 640's and they run Metro Last Light (amazing game btw) at full specs and that is a beautiful game. I mostly want to upgrade for the future. Two 2gb 780's in SLI will be sufficient for a long time.