Author Topic: [FAQ] Bootleg40 Problems, Errors, Troubleshooting Pls READ THIS before posting  (Read 27080 times)

Template

• Life is a series of cats.
    • View Profile
Before posting a troubleshooting issue here or anywhere else, please look through these Frequently Asked Questions to make sure your issue isn't already known about with instructions for a fix. If you need to post about an issue, please provide your APP.log file (from your main ff7 install directory) in
Code: [Select]
tags to save space. Thanks for reading!

EQ2Alyza's Frequently Asked Questions REPOST

[NVIDIA graphics cards] Why is (insert problem) happening?

For most cards, the very most recent version, 320.49 should be fine.

If your card's current driver is not completely compatible with Aali's custom opengl, you could experience a variety of issues. 
64bit OS Geforce Driver 314.22WHQL works for FF7.
The 32X.XX series has mixed results.

[AMD ATI Radeon] My game is crashing, failing to load <OR> my screen looks like one of these:

Your AMD Catalyst drivers are most likely the issue. Uninstall your current drivers first (you can even do this with the new driver installer), restart your PC, then install the brand new AMD Catalyst 13.8 Beta drivers.

Will this work with Intel HD Graphics?

No, they don't support enough video RAM. There will be frequent crashing and/or freezing throughout the game.*
*It has been shown to be workable with the HD3000 and HD4000 procs, for at least the basic portions of bootleg. If you run into problems somewhere, that may be why, but I'm hearing more and more people say they can get bootleg running with many graphical mods on these 2 Intel integrated graphics processors. If there is a particular mod I would be suspicious of, it would be the big summon animations that come with TA Hi-Res.

I have a dedicated Nvidia GPU, but it will only launch the game with Intel HD Graphics.

Go into the Nvidia Control Panel and set a profile for ff7.exe. Then set the Nvidia GPU to run for that profile.

I don't like XYZ mod. Can I just run Bootleg again with something else selected?

No, you cannot. Many of the mods will alter the main files of the game, and uninstalling does not revert back to their original file structure. You will need to start over to change or try a new mod.
  • Uninstall FF7Music via Windows Control Panel.
  • Uninstall the game via Windows Control Panel.
  • Clean your registry using this tool: HERE
  • Delete the old installation folder completely. It will have junk files leftover from modding, and installing back into will cause a nightmare.
  • Install the game and start modding again.
When I click Play, a black command box appears briefly, and then closes. Nothing else happens after that.
  • Open FF7Config.exe.
  • Navigate to the Sound tab and choose a sound device. If it's left blank, the game won't launch.
When I run Bootleg, I get a message that says "Access Denied. Installation Aborted!".
  • Right click "My Computer" and select Properties.
  • Scroll down to "Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" and click on Change Settings.
  • In the Advanced tab, click on Environmental Variables.
  • Under "System variables" find the variable named Path, highlight it, and click Edit...
  • "Variable value" should have a long string of directories. Add %SystemRoot%\System32; as the first entry.

FF7Config.exe crashes when it tries to open.

This often happens with laptops featuring Nvidia Optimus.
  • Right-Click on your My Computer and select the "Manage" option.
  • Navigate to Event Viewer -> Windows Logs - > Application.
  • Find the Error that is associated with FF7Config.exe.
  • The "Faulting module path" shows which .dll created the error and where its located.
  • Google and download that .dll file and replace it in that same location.

If Windows is being a poo face and not giving permission to copy the file, then try this:
  • Right-click My Computer and select "Manage"
  • Navigate to "Local Users and Groups -> Users"
  • Right-click Administrator and select "Properties"
  • Type "Administrator" as the full name.
  • Check "Password never expires"
  • Uncheck "Account is disabled" and "User cannot change password"
  • Click "Apply", then "OK"
  • Right-click Administrator and select "Set Password"
  • Set the password as "Windows SUCKS" (kidding...pick your own :-P).
  • Log off and log back in as the Administrator, then try copying the file.
FF7.exe crashes when it tries to open.

Check your APP.log and compare it to this one:
INITIALIZE DD/D3D START
DIRECT DRAW 2
TOTAL 1025966080 FREE 1017671680
DD MODE: W 640 H 480 P 640 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 720 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 720 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 800 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 1024 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1152 H 864 P 1152 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1176 H 664 P 1176 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1280 H 800 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1280 H 960 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 8
DD MODE: W 640 H 480 P 1280 RGB 1 BPP 16
DISPLAY MODE MATCH
DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 1440 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 1600 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 2048 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1152 H 864 P 2304 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1176 H 664 P 2352 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1280 H 800 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1280 H 960 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 16
DD MODE: W 640 H 480 P 2560 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 720 H 480 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 720 H 576 P 2880 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 800 H 600 P 3200 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1024 H 768 P 4096 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1152 H 864 P 4608 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1176 H 664 P 4704 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1280 H 720 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1280 H 768 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1280 H 800 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1280 H 960 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32
DD MODE: W 1280 H 1024 P 5120 RGB 1 BPP 32
Ramp Emulation
Microsoft Direct3D Mono(Ramp) Software Emulation
RGB Emulation
Microsoft Direct3D RGB Software Emulation
Direct3D HAL
Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
EXCLUSIVE MODE
16-BIT Z BUFFER CREATED IN HW
HAL
HEL
TEXTURE FORMATS:
PALETTE 0 BITS 16 RGBA 5:6:5:0
PALETTE 0 BITS 16 RGBA 5:5:5:0
PALETTE 0 BITS 16 RGBA 5:5:5:1
PALETTE 0 BITS 16 RGBA 4:4:4:4
PALETTE 0 BITS 32 RGBA 8:8:8:0
PALETTE 0 BITS 32 RGBA 8:8:8:8
INITIALIZE D3D 2
VIEWPORT INITIALIZE
VIEWPORT 2 INITIALIZE
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
ERROR: COULD NOT OPEN FILE C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\ff7input.cfg
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
INITIALIZING MIDI...
selecting device 0:Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth, mid=1, pid=27,
midi data type: GENERAL MIDI
using midi data file: C:\Steam\SteamApps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\Data\midi\midi.lgp
midiOutGetVolume returned: ffffffff
MIDI INITIALIZED
TEXTURE LOADED INTO VIDEO MEMORY
set music volume: 127
MIDI set volume: 127
10036743060f 127 = 127
MIDI set master volume: 100
MIDI set volume: 127
10036743060f 127 = 127
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!

If it's identical, then Aali's Custom Driver needs to be set.
  • Open FF7Config.exe.
  • Click on the "Graphics" tab and a message may appear saying "Self-test passed!"
  • If the message does not appear, set the Renderer as "Custom driver" and hit OK to close out.
  • Open FF7Config.exe again and click on the "Graphics" tab. The message will appear this time.
  • Hit OK to close out and launch the game from FF7 Bootloader to play.
I installed FF7 Game Converter from STEP 0, and the music doesn't seem to work correctly.
  • Download DLPB_Tools.zip.
  • Extract the "DLL_in" folder and "Mult.dll" to your game folder.
  • Copy all the .dll files out of the "LOADR" folder and paste them into the "DLL_in" folder.
  • Check for the line  load_library = Multi.dll  in ff7_opengl.cfg.

Why is my game doing strange things if I try to use MODE SWITCHING?
No idea, It's not advisable to use at all, it doesn't work for very many people. If you are having issues and you have mode switching on, this could be why.

Why doesn't ff7music install correctly during bootleg using the torrent?

The version of ff7music included with Tifa's Bootleg is the most current, and for most systems it works fine. If you experience any difficulties with ff7music, uninstall it from Windows control panel and reinstall this version: ff7music_install_15112.exe.

Why does almost everything look white?
FIX :  Everything is made of light  (FF7 + FF8)

ff7_opengl.cfg :  use_shaders = yes

Download these files and copy them to .\shaders\nolightmain.frag   main.vert
(overwrite? => YES)
If this doesn't work your ONLY option is to set shaders = no in ff7_opengl.cfg or uncheck shaders from the main tab of bootloader's configuration.

[WINDOWS XP] I installed FF7 Game Converter from STEP 0, and the FacePalmer field textures don't appear to be working.
  • Download Omzy's FF7 Field Textures.
  • Extract the "field" folder into the ...\mods\Bootleg folder.
  • Edit "Run FFVII-Bootleg.bat" and remove all /AFFINITY F. Save before closing.
When I'm in battle, the text for HP/MP/Limit bars is congested and misaligned

This is because you have installed the "9999 Break" in Bootleg AND checked "Break Limit 9999" in Bootloader Configure.
  • Open Bootloader Configure.
  • Uncheck "Break Limit 9999"
  • Click "Write CFG" to save.

I can't see the counters for the Shinra Mansion Safe, Junon Parade, Gaea's Cliff, Rocket Launch Countdown, etc.
  • Make a backup of your ...\mods\Bootleg folder.
  • Re-install Menu Overhaul with ReTranslation checked.
  • Go to your FF7 folder and find the \mods\DK folder. Copy everything inside the DK folder to your \mods\Bootleg folder. Overwrite everything when asked.
  • Open up Bootloader Configure and change the Mod Path to "Bootleg" OR open ff7_opengl.cfg with Notepad and change mod_path = Bootleg. Be sure to save the file.
  • Play past the counter and save right after.
  • If you don't like the new text, repeat steps 2-4 with ReTranslation unchecked.
I selected ReTranslation + Canon Names/Items, but the names/items are still ReTranslated (e.g. Reno=Leno or Phoenix Down=Phoenix Tail).
  • Make a backup of your ...\mods\Bootleg folder.
  • Re-install Menu Overhaul with ReTranslation and Canon Names/Items checked.
  • Go to your FF7 folder and find the \mods\DK folder. Copy everything inside the DK folder to your \mods\Bootleg folder. Overwrite everything when asked.
  • Open up Bootloader Configure and change the Mod Path to "Bootleg" OR open ff7_opengl.cfg with Notepad and edit mod_path = Bootleg. Be sure to save the file.
The game crashes after opening the last chest on the 65th Floor of Shinra HQ.
  • Download this file: HERE
  • Download this tool: HERE
  • Open the UNLGP+LGP tool, point it to the FF7 data folder, and check the box for "Unlgp flevel.lgp"
  • A new folder will have opened. Put the file from step 1 into the folder and overwrite. I suggest making a backup of the file first before overwriting.
  • Repeat step 3, but this time instead, check the box for "Rebuild flevel.lpg"
  • Play FF7.
I try to launch the game, but it says "...MountFF7DISC1.bat is missing."

Rename a Hard Drive or Flash Drive to "FF7DISC1" and assign it's drive letter as the Data Drive within Bootloader Configure.

I try to launch the game, but it says "Please insert FF7 Game Disc 1, 2, or 3 and try again."

You need to pass the CD Check at the game's launch. Any one may be used:
  • Open FF7 Bootloader Configure and assure that Auto Mount is checked before starting the game.
  • Open FF7 Bootloader Configure and click the "Mount" button.
    A cmd prompt will appear and assign a new virtual drive labeled FF7DISC1.
    In Bootloader Configure, assign that virtual drive letter as the Data Drive.
    To get rid of this virtual drive, click "Unmount" or restart your computer.
  • Rename an HDD or Flash Drive to "FF7DISC1" and assign it as the Data Drive.
I've completed Disc 1, but it keeps asking me to insert Disc 2 to continue.
  • Download DLPB_Tools.zip
  • Extract the "DLL_in" folder and "Mult.dll" to your game folder.
  • Download FF7anyCDv2.dll.
  • Place "FF7anyCDv2.dll" into the "DLL_in" folder.
  • Add the line  load_library = Multi.dll  to ff7_opengl.cfg.
Barret is using melee attack animations, even with ranged weapons.

There is an animation bug associated with the Timu+Kleyon+Asmodean battle model.
  • Download the animation fix: HERE
  • Download this tool: HERE
  • Open the UNLGP+LGP tool, point it to the FF7 data folder, and check the box for "Unlgp battle.lgp"
  • A new folder will have opened. Extract all the files from step 1 into the folder and overwrite.
  • Repeat step 3, but this time instead, check the box for "Rebuild battle.lpg"
This process will make a backup called battle.lpg.bak inside the ...\data\battle folder. You can always revert back to your previous battle models by renaming it to battle.lpg.

Why won't the create ff7 install image function WORK?

You may need this version of 7zip.exe in the folder along with BFE and all the mods.

Why does AC Tifa's Battle Model have white squares on her face? <OR> Why is AC Yuffie crashing my game? Do I have to reinstall everything?

Download this AC Tifa model and install it in your game's "direct" folder. It's good for testing out models individually. Inside the "direct" folder are more folders for every kind of mod type. Simply place the modded files into the correct direct folder to test them quickly. If they don't work, simply remove them again to clean up.
Here's what it will look like doing the process:

notice the field folder files need to go to the direct\char\ folder. The others are named the same. All the files from world go to direct\world\ etc.
Once you've done that, you just need to activate direct mode in bootloader and run the game to see if the mod worked. About Yuffie: You may find yourself having to do the same process but with WhitEraven's Repaired AC Yuffie model from this thread.

Why are there two movie folders? <OR> Why is my movie folder empty? <OR> Why is my game crashing on the opening movie?

GameConverter purposely does not alter the original movie folder in any way. By default bootleg uses the movies folder located in the main FFVII install directory (like the original PC release). If you wish to use the new release videos simply change the movie path in the Bootloader config, as illustrated here:
©Kompass63
This step should be taken if there are any crashes related to using the default bootleg movies folder. 
If you wish to save space, you can do that, be careful about which movies you want to keep and which you delete, then same as above set the movie path as desired. You can move them to another drive completely, if you like.     

About Steam Reinstalls:
Reinstall completely (make sure everything is deleted from the game install folder) and use Kompass63's Registry tool before reinstalling ff7 and then using Kompass63 Game Converter.9b, Start the game to test it once after the Game Converter. Then install bootleg.

GameConverter.9b is specifically made to be compatible with STEAM ff7 and bootleg (It works on Windows XP, 7&8 ).

This is almost 100% ripped from the first page of the Tifa's Bootleg Thread. Sorry to do that, but these issues are being posted about over and over and over again on the Bootleg threads and it's just getting old. I personally am gonna try to stop responding to these questions since they are so clearly documented and they just eat up too much time constantly explaining. If you've read this and you still can't resolve your issue, either because it isn't listed here or because you tried the suggestion and were unsuccessful, then I will be happy to help (if I even can). I will do my best to take care of this top post and keep it up to date with info. Eventually I may start replacing some of the instructions and photos ripped from the Tifa's Bootleg Thread. Thank you for reading.
« Last Edit: 2013-08-16 00:37:02 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
I just took the time to really look through all of this and I think you covered every single problem I've ever had. These solutions are available but you have to hunt through the forum to find them, which isn't easy if the search function isn't working, and new members usually take about a week and ten posts asking for help before they notice it lol.

I think the only error I've gotten that I don't see is the "GL: out of memory". The game occasionally crashes from time to time and that's the error I get in the app log. It doesn't happen much anymore, but still comes up sometimes. It was mentioned in troubleshooting, but it was never answered. I'd guess memory would refer to RAM, but my gaming rig has 32gb of ddr3 so I'm sure I have more than enough memory. Thought I'd mention that encase this error comes up more.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 02:42:51 by cmh175 »

Template

• View Profile
I think the only error I've gotten that I don't see is the "GL: out of memory". The game occasionally crashes from time to time and that's the error I get in the app log. It doesn't happen much anymore, but still comes up sometimes. It was mentioned in troubleshooting, but it was never answered. I'd guess memory would refer to RAM, but my gaming rig has 32gb of ddr3 so I'm sure I have more than enough memory. Thought I'd mention that encase this error comes up more.
There is a known memory leak with Aalis driver (I think that's where it comes from) and AFAIK there is no solution at this time. Thats a lot of RAM! Generally, you'd have to play for quite a while to see it happen.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 03:01:31 by Covarr the Proud Fanboy »

cmh175

• View Profile
There is a known memory leak with Aalis driver (I think that's where it comes from) and AFAIK there is no solution at this time. Thats a lot of RAM! Generally, you'd have to play for quite a while to see it happen.

Damn you got that down too. I spent over an hour or to looking it up here and on google and found nothing. I figured it was something like that. Yeah it's not something I see often, usually when I sit down to relax and play awhile, not just testing stuff real quick.

I work in IT and get deals on parts so I just maxed out the memory. It just seemed like the thing to do.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 03:03:32 by cmh175 »

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel

I believe the memory leak refers more to vRAM rather than system RAM. I have never run into the memory leak before, even when playing for hours and leaving it paused over night. I've played with two setups: GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI (I don't believe SLI even benefits?) and GTX 670 FTW 2GB.

cmh175

• View Profile
I believe the memory leak refers more to vRAM rather than system RAM. I have never run into the memory leak before, even when playing for hours and leaving it paused over night. I've played with two setups: GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI (I don't believe SLI even benefits?) and GTX 670 FTW 2GB.

That seems odd, too. I have an EVGA GeForce GTX 660Ti superclocked 2gb. This sucker played Bioshock Infinite on extreme settings. It's basically the same as yours with a little over clocking.

SLI has a few options but it's worth using either way. I forget the names but the best option is where you split the frames so each card handles every other frame, or even and odd I guess. It reduces the amount of work by half giving you more fps.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 03:18:28 by cmh175 »

Traffy

• View Profile
So I installed the Bootleg mods on a Steam install of FF7, and the installation was fine, but when I launched FF7 through the Bootloader, it immediately says that "FF7.exe is not responding" and closes. I got the image file mounted and everything.

Could it be a problem with the installation that is causing it to not respond or something else?

I tried booting FF7 through the FF7music launcher, and it launched without not responding, but it also skipped intro movies (Eidos and Squeenix logos) and went straight to the New Game/Continue menu. It allowed me to start the game, but upon starting the screen remains black, and the only thing visible is the Dialogue Bubbles from Barret and notifications. I can tell I can move around, since I was able to pick up a Potion from one of the dead guards. This continues for around a minute before the visibility returns, but there is a minor lag, and no music until leaving a battle ends, yet no 'pinging' noises from the menus. Progress halts when it reaches the name selection menu for Cloud because no controls can be used to finalize the name, due to being run on a laptop.

I'm guessing something is wrong with how some mods are loading, causing it not to boot correctly at all.

Specs:
Windows 7 Proffesional 64-Bit
4GB Ram
Dual Core 2.40GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M

Template

• View Profile
Specs:
Windows 7 Proffesional 64-Bit
4GB Ram
Dual Core 2.40GHz
NVIDIA Quadro FX 570M
Hiya, I looked up that graphics card because I wasn't familiar with it. The specs I found said max video memory of 256MB. That's really pushing it to the limit. I am unclear if that's what is causing bootloader's play ff7 batch process to crash but it's interesting that ff7music launcher works partially.
I really would like to take a look at your APP.log file, if you could post the contents in code tags. It is a text file located in your ff7 main directory.
Since it's a Steam install I'll just verify you've read the end of the FAQ up there about STEAM installs? Did you just run bootleg on it or did you use GameConverter.8 first?
You might end up having to deal without some of the mods or graphics effects but you should be able to play the game without it looking weird. Running a full bootleg install on a laptop isn't always possible. There will be some trial and error involved, starting with unchecking shaders, postprocessing, turning off the internal resolution, VBO, and PBO in bootloader.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 08:55:57 by Template »

Traffy

• View Profile
I did use the GameConverter before hand.

This is what my APP.log looks like.
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
ERROR: failed to set fullscreen mode
I tried a completely identical install on my desktop computer, same mods and all, and the exact same thing is happening, including ff7music partially working. The only difference was the install was faster.

Update as to how well it performed in ff7music:
It worked fine thereafter, no graphical problems, but the frame rate seemed to be about 45fps like before, and still only background music. I was able to bypass the name selection by using a USB keyboard with a numpad, but that was expected. All mods seem present, it just seems it doesn't boot correctly.

The desktop specs:
Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
4GB ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 09:50:31 by Traffy »

Traffy

• View Profile
There was a seperate APP.log in the ff7music folder if that helps any.
INFO: FF7/FF8 OpenGL driver version 0.7.11b
INFO: Auto-detected version: FF7 1.02 US English
INFO: NVIDIA Corporation Quadro FX 570M/PCI/SSE2 3.0.0
INFO: Using PBO
INFO: Found swap_control extension
INFO: Max texture size: 8192x8192
INFO: Number of texture units: 4
INFO: Original resolution 640x480, window size 1280x960, output resolution 1280x960, internal resolution 1280x960
INFO: FFMpeg movie player plugin loaded
INFO: FFMpeg version SVN-r25886, Copyright (c) 2000-2010 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
INFO: No shaders, codecs with YUV output will be slow.
INFO: FF7Music helper plugin loaded
INFO: Loading external library Kranmer.dll
LOCK UNLOCK TEST
MATRIX INITIALIZE
INITIALIZE DD/D3D END
initializing sound...
creating dsound primary buffer
reading audio file
loading static sounds
sound initialized
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF CREDITS!!!
ERROR: couldn't open movie file: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\eidoslogo.avi
ERROR: couldn't open movie file: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\sqlogo.avi
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=60
END OF CREDITS!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
ERROR: couldn't open movie file: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\opening.avi
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 300
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
pause_sound
resume_sound ()
pause_sound
resume_sound ()
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
ERROR: couldn't open movie file: C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\movies\mkup.avi
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
Field Quit
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE SWIRL
Swirl sound_effect1
stop_sound
End of Swirl sound_effect1
Entering FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Exitting FRAME_QUIT SWIRL
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Scene# 307
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_INITIALIZE
[BATTLE] Begin main battle loop
[BATTLE] End of current battle
[BATTLE] Begin end battle stuff
stop_sound
[BATTLE] Entering FRAME_QUIT
[BATTLE] endof battle.
[BATTLE] Exitting FRAME_QUIT
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
START OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
END OF MENU SYSTEM!!!
Entering MAIN
Exiting MAIN
Field Start
cross play music: 0
set music volume trans: 127->0, step=4
WM_CLOSE
Field Quit
UNINITIALIZE DD
END UNINITIALIZE DD

Template

• View Profile
OK! I think it's just the movie directory is set wrong in the registry. Here's the fix:
Edit: If this had been the problem... It would have been about 100x times simpler to just copy the movies folder over, like cmh175 suggests... I ran into this problem yesterday so that's where I went. As for fixing it by installing winamp... that's pretty interesting. Nice work!
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 15:45:03 by Template »

cmh175

• View Profile
OK! I think it's just the movie directory is set wrong in the registry. Here's the fix:

1. Open regedit from the start menu search or command prompt.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII in the registry tree for a 32-bit operating system or
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII for 64-bit
3. Locate the key entry titled "Movie Path" and double-click to open a box labeled "Edit String"
4. Replace the filepath with the correct movie path, which will be the movies folder located inside your game install's data directory, not the one in the game directory itself.

Are you sure? That maybe backwards. After running bootleg I found updated fmvs in the movie file in the games install file and the 2012 re-releases original videos in the data\movies file. That's actually where I copied them from so I could remaster them. When I copy the completed fmv pack into a fresh install I put it into the ff7\movies file and it's always worked. Is that the way it should be or am I an anomaly?

Traffy

• View Profile
I tried the method with regedit, but the game still crashes when launched via Bootloader, and still operates as usual through ff7music.
There's nothing different with the APP.log for FF7music or the one in the normal directory, so I don't think it changed anything.

Could it be that I have to copy over some files for it to work, kinda like what cmh175 said?
Not really sure how it could make the Bootloader launch it correctly.

I am gonna try reinstalling FF7 via steam, make a copy so I dont have to redownload, and reinstall Bootleg with a few mods turned off. There may be a few conflicting, but I am going to look and see if any mods I chose to install were conflicting.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 14:29:36 by Traffy »

cmh175

• View Profile
My suggestion is just for the movie file. That's how mine works at least. Otherwise modding the Steam version is over my head, I have the Square re-release. All I know is it's a new process so it'll have a few kinks. I don't think movies should effect the game crashing though would it? Either way both movie files should have fmvs in them so that shouldn't be a problem, the difference is just which has the modded version. I know there's a prompt in bootloader asking for the directory of the movies, make sure that's correct. I suggest ff7\movies, but if that doesn't work try Templates ff7\data\movies.

Progress halts when it reaches the name selection menu for Cloud because no controls can be used to finalize the name, due to being run on a laptop.

By the way there's an option in bootleg to change the controls for laptops. Try rerunning it again with that option.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 14:35:02 by cmh175 »

Traffy

• View Profile
I went into the Compatibility tab of the new ff7.exe, and changed it so ran in compatibility for Windows XP (SP3) and it started working. However, it operates just like it does in FF7music, but with no lag, sound effects are present, but background music cuts out at random times. Also, movies don't play.

The lack of background music may be because I don't have Winamp installed. I will try that and see if it fixes that.

EDIT: I installed Winamp, and that fixed the music problem. It seems the problem from the start is that Bootleg put it into the wrong compatibility mode, probably because the Steam release was a bit different from how it installs otherwise.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 15:33:33 by Traffy »

cmh175

• View Profile
I went into the Compatibility tab of the new ff7.exe, and changed it so ran in compatibility for Windows XP (SP3) and it started working. However, it operates just like it does in FF7music, but with no lag, sound effects are present, but background music cuts out at random times. Also, movies don't play.

The lack of background music may be because I don't have Winamp installed. I will try that and see if it fixes that.

EDIT: I installed Winamp, and that fixed the music problem. It seems the problem from the start is that Bootleg put it into the wrong compatibility mode, probably because the Steam release was a bit different from how it installs otherwise.

I don't recalling having to change compatibility mode, granted you have a different version of the game. As long as it works though I guess that's what matters.

Traffy

• View Profile
About the movies, turns out Bootleg didn't install any, and still defaulted to the folder where said movies WOULD be. I just had to change the file path in Bootloader Config like Template suggested.

Didn't think this problem was going to be that easy to solve. But thanks for the help anyway.

cmh175

• View Profile
About the movies, turns out Bootleg didn't install any, and still defaulted to the folder where said movies WOULD be. I just had to change the file path in Bootloader Config like Template suggested.

Didn't think this problem was going to be that easy to solve. But thanks for the help anyway.

If you point bootloader to either movie file it should work regardless. It just needs to know where to pull them from. Odd it didn't put any movies in the ff7\movie file. The data\movie file will be the unaltered originals that come with the game. Check these out: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0  I remastered the fmvs that came with the 2012 re-release and replaced the audio from the psx videos. There are also other options for resolution on the ending videos and a new HD Ending3 video. There are other fmv mods you can try too, either way you'll see a noticeable difference.

Template

• View Profile
If you point bootloader to either movie file it should work regardless. It just needs to know where to pull them from. Odd it didn't put any movies in the ff7\movie file. The data\movie file will be the unaltered originals that come with the game. Check these out: http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14249.0  I remastered the fmvs that came with the 2012 re-release and replaced the audio from the psx videos. There are also other options for resolution on the ending videos and a new HD Ending3 video. There are other fmv mods you can try too, either way you'll see a noticeable difference.
I think this happened because he chose "no change" to the movie options in bootleg install. It's an issue I have been able to recreate and it is specific to GC + either rerelease + bootleg. The 2012 rerelease FMVs are pretty good quality movies mostly, so I was wanting to just have bootleg keep them and save me the time of installing any others... ended up with no movies in bootleg default movie folder, and find them in the data/movies folder instead. Easy enough to move.

Edit: @Kompass63 So I'm guessing GC installs with bootleg that use say, DLPBs FMV mod, will end up with 2 sets of movies on their HDD. I'll run another install test to verify. Oh... manual entry of path would save some headaches maybe with Steam Mover. I like that idea definitely.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-26 23:30:50 by Template »

Kompass63

• View Profile
My GC automatically sets the video path on the rerelease videos.
Furthermore, the two country specific videos from the "lang-xx" folder are copied.
In the "FF7_GC.log" file are many variables that GC has determined are listed, also the moviepath.

There are problems, if GC does not find the desired path.
My GC reads the path from the registry, that is the path where the Steam version was first installed.
When you move or copy this folder, the registry keys are not changed obviously.

I could of course remove the query for the registry and install a manual entry of the FF7-Path...

Template

• View Profile
Added info for Kompass63's GameConverter.9b.
Some things to note:

This is now completely compatible with Steam Mover. You can also just cut and paste the entire FFVII game folder and move it where you want from the STEAM directory. The Game Converter will detect your installation type. It will ask you to type your game path manually if you have moved your STEAM FF7 install or if it can't find one. If you haven't moved your STEAM FF7 install, you can just hit enter and it will do its thing. It is still necessary to move your FFVII install outside of the Program Files(system) area. It is fully compatible with Steam FF7 in all 4 languages. You can change your language in FF7 STEAM by right clicking on the Final Fantasy VII entry in your Library, and choosing the bottom selection, properties. Then select language and there is a dropdown box. You must do this before using Kompass63's GameConverter.

GameConverter will ask for you what language you would like to use if you are using the 2012 version, E S F G
Game Converter is now compatible with 1998 PC version for backwards compatibility and future uninstall functionality.
« Last Edit: 2013-07-31 06:01:50 by Template »

Template

• View Profile
New AMD Catalyst driver version 13.8beta works with Aali's driver and shaders! Maybe they actually listened to the people about backwards compatibility! :wink:

(This may solve problems for you if you are using a Radeon video card)

DeathMetroll

• View Profile
Hi all!

Thanks for the modders for this GREEEEAT job !!!!!

But (yes there's a "but" :)  ) I installed everything and set it up right, when I launch the game the "EIDOS" logo doesn't appear (but I have its music) after that the "SQUARE" logo appears and after that nothing but the music. No image, no start menu, nothing, the screen remains dark !!!

I don't get it :/

Please help I really want to re-re-re-re play that game again. (sixth times actually ;)  )

thank you very much guys !!!

Rundas

• What do you even do?
    • View Profile
Post your app.log please.

DeathMetroll

• View Profile
Hi!

How do I get the app.log ?  :-[

Thank you.