Author Topic: Awesome work and a request  (Read 4478 times)

gmac830

• View Profile
Awesome work and a request
« on: 2014-01-22 03:23:03 »
Hi everyone,

I've been snooping around here since before Christmas and decided to pick back up the game from Steam as I was traveling 11 hours on amtrak.  I must say I'm extremely impressed with everything done.  I have been 'quirking' around my game  :wink: and wanted to see if anyone could  assist me/direct me.

I wanted to see if it was possible to overwrite a character for battle in the party *cough* Cait Sith. I know that the back story would still remain though I've been working with the Makou Reactor for that, (among the subs I subbed Red 13 with Zack also in field models and field animations with text but not during battle) as well as the limits.

I'd like to incorporate a soldier 1st class skin:

onto a character and potentially modify the mechanics as well.  I wanted to also potentially make their current attacks (tornado, freeze, ect) as limits and use the systems battle movement data for all soldier (3rd, 2nd, and 1st) for general attacks and existing motions for magic, summon, enemy skill ect.). The movements can be shown here (http://youtu.be/eIVzb70gpBI?t=11s)

I have no problem putting in the work on my own but given Kimera wasn't working appropriately (keeps requesting me to DL the .DLL which I can't), I was wondering what options there are. Once I learn this get the editing down I will be trying to potentially drafting short story addition for a certain a new female soldier to replace the cat and marshmellow one:

PM me or let me know at your earliest and thanks again for all of your amazing work and should you be able to assist I'd greatly appreciate it.

-Gmac  :mrgreen:

Stay awesome!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
Re: Awesome work and a request
« Reply #1 on: 2014-01-22 10:07:52 »
Where is the difference to replace one bad character with another stupid character?
Anyway using a Soldier is a good idea, because at the beginning he could use Cloud's limits and storywise I think to have another Ex(?)-Soldier in the team would be very good, too.
But not these Japanese emo-girl! Cloud and Vincent are enough of those kinds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yFZZdYrVw

The game needs a funny and charming character, I would say a mixture between Zack and Irvine would fit or even better Xellos from Slayers.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-01-22 14:56:12 »
The movements can be shown here (http://youtu.be/eIVzb70gpBI?t=11s)

Dunno who uploaded that video, but I'll bet they're incredibly handsome.

I'm kinda with Kaldarasha on the Zack-Irvine cross; throw a bit of Laguna in there and you'll be up to your eyeballs in fan-fiction (mostly written by myself). For the Red XIII -> Zack replacement I've got a Zack enemy head lying around that I could bolt onto Cloud's model and then replace Red's battle model with it (limit breaks need to be changed in the kernel though, probably the name of the Comb weapons that Red uses too). Same thing could be done with this other character you're talking about, but it's sacrilege to replace such a vital ancillary character like Cait Sith. Who would handle the Slots-category speedruns if he was gone?

-Added-
Here's a patcher for the battle.lgp file that should add Zack in place of Red XIII. Apply it to the battle folder located inside the data folder so that the battle.lgp can be patched: http://www.mediafire.com/download/4v399n8qcby87qw/Zack%20Installer.exe

If applying to the Steam version, select the first battle folder inside the data folder (not the one tucked away in the ff7-en folder). Double-click the folder too so that the icon 'pops' open, just in case.

Bear in mind that for sanity's sake you'll need to adjust the weapon sounds for Red XIII's weapons to Cloud's swords and change his limit breaks (both can be done with WallMarket). Otherwise... http://youtu.be/ag7S1V9FOGs
« Last Edit: 2014-01-22 17:27:31 by Sega Chief »

gmac830

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-01-23 01:27:39 »
You sir are a saint! :-D

Update:   Any suggestions: Just WallMArket dl's the version and when I clicked the exe it keeps saying Wallstreet has encountered a problem and quickly shuts down.  This occurs within 5 seconds each time I try it.  Any suggestions are recommended
« Last Edit: 2014-01-23 02:53:45 by gmac830 »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-01-23 03:46:56 »
This is coming rough from memory; the threads for these tools had the fixes in them. Can be a bit of a trawl to get through so many pages but considering how useful the programs are it's well worth it:

WallMarket and Kimera operate on some old Visual Basic programs that have dependencies that are no longer supported in Microsoft's current version of VB (something to do with updating to .NET, I forget). In any case, you'll need to download and install packs related to Visual Basic 6 as well as some other dependencies, called DLLs. I'm fairly sure you can get a lot of them by downloading the service packs for Visual Basic 6 (I think service pack 6 is the one you want): http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa662927.aspx

On that link, you'll want to look at additional updates. Grab Service Pack 6, the Common Controls (that mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx seem to turn up a lot in error messages with these programs when getting it up and running so shove 'em in there), and maybe the cumulative update for Service Pack 6. Now I can't guarantee that'll work, kind of had to wing it back in the day when trying to get these programs up and running on my computer because I've no formal computing knowledge. I'm not even sure if anything of what I just said was a good idea. I'd go through the forum threads related to these tools at least one more time before trying any of this. But if memory serves you needed to install dependencies/DLL related to visual basic 6 to your computer so that the application can run.

gmac830

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-01-25 20:16:33 »
Update: Got it working :D thanks for all your help I'm guessing wall market is where I adjust the limits correct

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-01-27 04:05:02 »
Yeah, you can change which limit breaks a character will have/learn. You can even set an extra one for each regular level (wouldn't recommend doing this for the Lv4 but might be worth experimenting). You can also use spells (I think) as limit breaks but I've never tried it myself.

As for actual limit break editing, there's a program that could edit the 1998 .exe to change limit break effects. Might be worth looking into, but I don't think it'd be compatible with a Steam .exe (unless a new version was released).