Author Topic: What Facebook's Oculus Rift buy means for PC gamers  (Read 3685 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: What Facebook's Oculus Rift buy means for PC gamers
« Reply #1 on: 2014-04-01 00:00:49 »
Historically, Facebook has made two types of purchases:
  • They never wanted the company to begin with, they just wanted the talent or technology to put to use in some other capacity. These companies are almost always shut down within two years of the acquisition. This represents the vast majority of their purchases, but doesn't seem to be the case here.
  • They wanted a stake in what that company was doing. This category is for acquisitions such as Instagram and WhatsApp, where Facebook doesn't necessarily want their tech, but the company itself. They see a valuable pie, and they want a slice of it. This is far closer to where Oculus VR stands.
Here's the thing: For companies in that second category, they have been pretty good about leaving them alone, letting them do their thing. They give the company money and help where needed, and they reap the profits, but that's about it. To them, purchases made in this category aren't about the core Facebook product. They're essentially Facebook playing investor on a large scale. Based on their history for companies they didn't dissolve entirely, and assuming they won't dissolve Oculus VR (because that would be a seriously stupid business move and they know it), I am inclined to believe their claims that Oculus will be left alone.

The real question is, what's in it for Facebook? Most people are jumping to ads and data harvesting as answers. I don't think that's it, though. As I see it, Facebook has money to be made in three different ways:
  • Oculus VR's profit is Facebook's profit. If the Oculus Rift is a commercial success, Facebook stands to profit. They don't need to assert any control over Oculus VR, they don't need to interfere with their business practices, or even offer any financial assistance for this to be the case. Considering the amount of hype for the thing, it's a VERY wise place to invest money.
  • Facebook already operates a perfectly viable gaming platform. While they may not directly develop any of the barrage of casual games that send constant annoying notifications, I guarantee you that they're making a ton of money from the upgrades and bonuses people are buying in Zynga games. I'm sure Facebook is hoping to be at the forefront of a new wave of casual VR games, and get a chunk of the associated microtransaction sales.
  • This tech is still young. Facebook (and anyone else) only has a vague idea where it might lead. But wherever it goes, they want first access to it. They might be thinking about VR enhancements for their own core product, such as virtual chatrooms, or they might be hedging their bets that Oculus VR succeeds as Facebook itself gradually loses relevance, so they can remain profitable ten years from now when they're no longer the leading social network. Getting into a big player quickly like this is a wise move.
I guess my point in all this is that Facebook has a ton of opportunity to gain from this deal without having to resort to scummy or anticonsumer practices. They are well aware of the pitfalls of pissing off consumers, especially with other contenders to the throne like Morpheus right on the horizon, so not only don't they need to screw us over, it's not even a little bit in their best interests, and they know it.

I know it's easy to think of a big faceless corporation as evil, especially one like Facebook that has a history of privacy invasion and excessive advertising. But I truly believe that they won't push that on us with the Oculus Rift. Not necessarily because they've turned over a new leaf, but because they will make more money by letting Oculus VR do its thing. As such, I'm not worried in the slightest.

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #2 on: 2014-04-01 00:55:40 »
Brilliant article Covarr! I was a little skeptical about FB as well at first glance!

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-04-02 16:16:57 »
Best bit is that in 2012 the guy running OculusVR said they did the Kickstarter so that wouldn't have to sell out to the big bucks companies.

I guess a payout to the tune of $240M plus stocks and shares is enough to make a liar out of anyone.

But then I see history repeating and VR once again being a fad for maybe a couple of years like it was the first time round, it'll have some good uses but as an optional gaming peripheral the cost versus novelty factor could well kill it in the end, I have no interest in it, I'd like to give it a try but could never justify the price (currently $350) for something that is little more than fancy 3D, I don't even use the 3D on my 3DS anymore except for the first 20 minutes of a new game just to see how it looks.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-04-02 20:47:18 »
VR once again being a fad for maybe a couple of years like it was the first time round, it'll have some good uses but as an optional gaming peripheral the cost versus novelty factor could well kill it in the end
I dunno, there's some pretty big differences from this and previous attempts at VR. Among other things, the use of headtracking makes it feel far more real, helps achieve "presence" far better than the 3D effect alone ever could. TVs and monitors and 3DS already have 3D, and pretty much nobody cares, because it doesn't make you feel like you're there. It looks cool, but that's about it. Headtracking, on the other hand, allows for actual gameplay innovations that were literally impossible before. It might not seem it, but the ability to face one way and look another is quite game-changing. The ability to glance in a rear-view mirror or turn all the way around to see the road behind you in a racing game makes it feel genuine. The simple fact that your display effectively surrounds you is a huge difference; you get features such as peripheral vision, to an extent that even a tri-monitor setup on PC couldn't achieve.

Perhaps more importantly, research is actually being done this time into how to design the games themselves for VR. Look at past VR attempts. We got games like Virtual Boy Wario Land. Sure, it was a good game. But it was inherently not a VR game, and aside from a semi-nifty 3D effect, was mostly detracted from because of being on a VR platform. Today you've got games like EVE: Valkyrie, which can't even be done properly without VR. This is the sort of experience most devs are aiming for. Nobody wants a repeat of the '90s here.

The thing is, the only games that will ever be great on any VR platform are games designed from the ground up specifically for VR. These games, by their very nature, don't just take advantage of the tech, but flat out require it. At that point, devices such as the Oculus Rift stop being optional peripherals, and start being mandatory, at least if you're interested in the games themselves.

But if you must look at it as a peripheral, compare it to Guitar Hero and Rock Band. Those games have peripherals that are only usable with that single genre, cost a TON, and still sell quite well. Oculus Rift is not going to cost more than a full Rock Band bundle, and will have a much wider variety of potential uses, and by extension, a much wider potential audience.

Sure, it won't be for everyone. Some people won't like it, and others won't care. But there's no way it'll be a passing fad, any more than polygonal 3D rendering was in the '90s.

As an aside, I doubt the consumer version will cost $350. That's the price of the current devkit, which includes a built-in latency tester that consumers will not need (easily chop off $25 minimum by removing it), and doesn't yet have the benefit of Facebook's cheaper manufacturing and lower required profit margin to further bump the price down. I fully expect the consumer version to release for no more than $275 USD.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 2014-04-02 21:21:28 »
People buying games and periphereals at launch?
Oh how silly they are.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-04-02 22:50:17 »
I think VR is very interesting for Facebook. Try to imagine:
You sit in a lounge and read a book, and suddenly a stranger is talking to you "Hi, how do you do?"
 Normally you would close up and asked the person to leave. But in VR you will start a talk with the person and say, "Great, and you?"
And that's it. Games are only the bait, the whole importance lies in a new way to get social contacts and this will be lucrative as hell (if it's done right).
VR-Dating, the whole commercial stuff, looking a movie in a complete cinema like feeling, VR outdoor games like Golf or Tennis... I really have plenty ideas for it.
If you are the first, who brings on a working VR system with a huge network, you have done it and are the ruler of this world.
All what we have to chose then is, if we want to take the red or blue pill...  :|