0 (0%)
Resolution: 1024x768
0 (0%)
Resolution: 1024x768 < 1920x1080
10 (16.7%)
Resolution: 1920x1080 or higher
18 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Bootleg Configurator UI  (Read 25273 times)

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
Bootleg Configurator UI
« on: 2014-07-23 17:15:36 »
Hello everyone,

since i am working on the new user interface ( UI ), i am interested in your current pc specs, to be precise your current operating system where you are playing ff7 on and what resolution are you using. In the end, everyone shall be able to use the interface to its full limits.
You have two options, one for the operating system and the other one is about the resolution.

The configurator is mainly done for windows users so far. There is no intention about doing a direct port to different operating systems (for now).

To give you a current state about the UI, i'd say it is done by 30%. All that's missing is logic and fine tuning. There is still quite a lot to do.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you for your patience regarding everyone who is working on that great tool.

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Re: Bootleg Configurator UI
« Reply #1 on: 2014-07-23 17:19:07 »
I added Vista to the 7/8 option. Should be functionally identical for these purposes, and probably almost nobody is using it, but completeness is always a good thing :P

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-07-23 18:28:49 »
Thank you. You're right, I have forgotten to add it. :) Vista is just crap ^^

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
« Reply #3 on: 2014-07-23 18:59:36 »
I added Vista to the 7/8 option. Should be functionally identical for these purposes, and probably almost nobody is using it, but completeness is always a good thing :P

Win8.1 may need to be it's own option. I'm not familar with Windows 8 much at all, but apparently somethings work differently and may not be compatible. So that maybe worth noting.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #4 on: 2014-07-23 19:06:03 »
I play on Linux in wine 1.7 currently ..
my resolution depends on what display im using.  its at least 1680x1050

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-07-23 19:16:20 »
Win8.1 may need to be it's own option. I'm not familar with Windows 8 much at all, but apparently somethings work differently and may not be compatible. So that maybe worth noting.

Nah, that is okay, since the operating system will influence for example the usage of the framework version i use. everything above xp is great, because i can use the latest one ;)
And i don't know much about 8 as well, but we will test the tool on various platforms to ensure that it is working fine.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #6 on: 2014-07-23 19:25:59 »
Nah, that is okay, since the operating system will influence for example the usage of the framework version i use. everything

why not just use Qt for the GUI . it works everywhere. (trust me i know)

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2014-07-23 19:29:27 »
I am developing the next app in C#.To be honest, i won't start from scratch and learn a new language. I am much faster in a language i know and which i am using nearly everyday, so thats why to be exact. After we copied the functionality into the new UI, the next step is to merge the Configurator with the actual Bootleg.exe, but thats still a bit far away ^^

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #8 on: 2014-07-24 06:09:09 »
I am developing the next app in C#.To be honest, i won't start from scratch and learn a new language.

thats cool Qt is not a language its a toolkit.Its native language is C++ but it has binding for many languages not sure if its still useable but one of them was for C#.  the nice thing about Qt is you code once you can almost always just recompile for another os with no code changes (even most platform specific stuff happens automagicly). althought with C# you will prolly need to use mono on non windows.  you may even be able to use mono to build your application already for linux/ mac os (althought i think its only .net3.0 or lower still)

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2014-07-24 06:22:56 »
I see. I am gonna check it out, when we have merged successfully UI  with bootleg. Doing it before creates too much overhead. It is better to touch the complete solution,  not something half baked. It will be a long time until it may be compatible with other OS. Cannot say for now if it will ever happen, but as I have said, I will take a look later on.

KnifeTheSky77

• Somnambulistic Paraphile
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2014-07-24 06:27:38 »
Ewww C#  :evil:
Depending on my mood I'm using either latest ubuntu and latest wine or win 8.1 with scaling OFF.
I'll test it out in wine when you get it all together... who knows what could happen lol

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2014-07-25 05:30:20 »
I'm not quite sure, but is C++ not the modern version of C# ?

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2014-07-25 10:33:15 »
If you put it this way, yes. You can do pretty much everything with C++, not with C# though. C# is convenient and easy to use. Especially useful if you don't want to create drivers, related stuff for operating systems.

When i am not mistaken you have to do extra work in C++ like cleaning up your code, being careful about memory leaks and so on. I really don't know C++ very well, but for this kind of application, C# is sufficient.

sithlord48

• View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #13 on: 2014-07-25 13:26:40 »
When i am not mistaken you have to do extra work in C++ like cleaning up your code, being careful about memory leaks and so on.
The Programmer's goal should always be clean working code.  Memory leaks they can happen when you write bad code in just about any language. here an example leak that can happen using C#'s event system. It looks like an easy trap to fall in also..

I'm not quite sure, but is C++ not the modern version of C# ?
C# is the Microsoft version of C++ Heavly influenced by java. Because its a microsoft language the target platform is windows and everyother is an after thought or has to be created by 3rd partys (mono) and as a result can easily be stoped by microsoft they only promise to not. and will never be feature parity with .net . There are also parts of .Net that are not covered by the promise preventing some things from even being used on other platforms.

The modern verions of C++ is called C++11 (and next will be C++14). Unlike the properitary languages of .Net when you learn c++ you can use it anywhere on anything with a c++ compiler And since C++ is the best language ever the first compiler usually built for a new os  or hardware is for C++. The other benifit to C++ is that usually you can just recompile your code to a new platform with little to no porting woes.
« Last Edit: 2014-07-26 01:07:29 by sithlord48 »

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2014-07-25 21:43:28 »
thank you for your enlightment. i never cared so much about other languages nor do i have the need to look on others (as of now). c++ is still interesting though, but i am just too lazy to get the hang of other languages as long it is not needed... ^^"

and yes, you are absolutely right about the "clean working code" part.

Kompass63

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2014-07-26 05:25:16 »
I only had therefore demand, because I've already tried to learn c++ (the accentuation is on tried).
But I have found that it requires a large amount of concentration and endurance, especially for someone who has previously learned nothing comparable.

It would sure be nice if we could write Bootleg entirely in a high level language, batch has in many places some restrictions ...

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2014-07-26 08:29:44 »
Yep, batch is no option on the longterm. We will integrate bootleg later on in the UI. You can do more with C# as of now . C++ is tough and after you read my previous posts, I am quiet lazy....  ^^" haven't looked at the bootleg source files. Will do after 0.41 (new UI).

Insight

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2014-08-07 20:43:57 »
*Update*
Just wanted to mention that we are making good progress. The UI is about 70% or so done. For the UI, there is still to do some stuff:

- Applying new content (mods). Updating the mods to a newer version and add new mods. Also removing mods which are not being supported anymore.
- The modlist. The list itself must be created first, then it will be linked to the content of the UI.
- Logic for selecting mods. Think about selecting the nightmare mod in the old UI, you couldn't apply some options after that. Something like that is missing.
- Filling the credits and help sections with information ;-)
- Some routines for first time initializing. There is some plain logic as of now, needs to be improved.
- Assigning the configuration of the UI to the bootleg process.

This will be version 0.50. New additions or changes to the mods will be updated regurlarly in the bootleg configurator.
Next goal is 0.60, to integrate the bootleg itself into the UI. Don't know when we will be at that point, but it needs to be done later on.

Yeah, thats it. After completing the new UI, it can be tested.

Stay tuned!

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2014-08-08 00:49:34 »
Will 7th Heaven be part of the new Bootleg or not?  ???

Sora123masta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2014-08-08 01:23:15 »
God, I can not wait to view the release of the new Bootleg.  The update listings are just so Adrenaline rushed they drive me nuts. Keep up the good work. :O

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 2014-08-08 03:38:18 »
Will 7th Heaven be part of the new Bootleg or not?  ???

We are working towards this goal.

God, I can not wait to view the release of the new Bootleg.  The update listings are just so Adrenaline rushed they drive me nuts. Keep up the good work. :O

Here's some teaser for ya.

The Overhaul tab is literally just a bunch of checkboxes; not worth showcasing, at least for now.

1 = .
2 = -

This is not ready for release, and we cannot give out a release date.

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2014-08-08 03:49:28 »
Oh my, I was not expecting something this clean, easy to follow and good looking. Very Microsoft Office 2013-I like it a lot.
As far as the model preview's work from within the app, are they just screen shots or are you actually loading ff7 data/have the intent to do so in the future?

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2014-08-08 03:56:38 »
They're the exact same screenshots used in 040, for now (they were slightly changed to remove the purple background, though). This may probably change in the future.

Glad you're enjoying it. Insight did it all.

Kaldarasha

• Prince of Model Editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2014-08-08 04:43:42 »
Only to make it clear, like it looks now it looks for me like double work. Why not letting 7th Heaven handle all the mods? Otherwise will this only ends in compatibility issues.
Let say someone has installed APZ Cloud, but want to use my model overhaul. Then these person will report that he does not have the APZ Cloud model, because my model overhaul has overwritten it. This will happen even if you would explain the logic between the way Bootleg and 7th Heaven installs a mod in the manual.
The only possible way would be that Bootleg will create 7th Heaven mods or makes the edits for them, but even this looks for me like more work as needed. I don't want to be that negative, but it is better to say it now before it is too late, if you use 7th Heaven then all mods needs to be loaded through it or else we will get one bug report after another. Take this in account when you plan how the new Bootleg shall work.

KnifeTheSky77

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2014-08-08 04:54:02 »
Under the hood, 7th heaven is probably the better route to go as far as applying mods, but this looks way better

Way way way better
« Last Edit: 2014-08-08 04:55:44 by KnifeTheSky77 »