Author Topic: Shinra Technologies - Square Enix's answer to PS Now  (Read 4532 times)

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
Why are they doing this. They don't have a good history with online services (FF7's launcher really stands out here).

cmh175

• View Profile
    • Chris Hendrickson's Artstation
Re: Shinra Technologies - Square Enix's answer to PS Now
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-19 04:03:45 »
Honestly I don't see cloud gaming becoming a real thing, not in two years at least. More like 5-10. I actually built a 3d Cloud Server for testing with my company using the Nvidia Grid K1 card. Pass through from the hardware to the virtual desktops works well enough, I was able to run Maya 2015 pretty well. When trying to play Portal 1 though it crashes within five minutes. There's two issues with this concept. The first is shared hardware. Unless they're planning to dedicate a single gpu per vdi you're going to be sharing a multi core gpu with other users, likely 4-5 at most. If you're using basic 3d applications (like Mine Sweeper or Windows Aero) you're ok, but if you launch something like Borderlands performance will tank to single digit frame rates before it eventually crashes. The hardware just isn't anywhere near where it needs to be to pull this off, and when it is it'll make a GTX Titan look like a bargain priced novice card. Adding the price for a single server capable of handling this (mine was roughly $5k-$7k, not sure I don't handle billing lol) you're looking at nearly $10k in hardware alone, not to mention vmware licensing and paying someone to actually assemble this (mine took roughly 30 hours total for it to actually work without using a virtualized video driver, and using pass through with the Nvidia driver). The real issue is internet speeds. 3d Cloud Server or just remote access to a gaming rig either way an SSL VPN connection has to cross over the internet. My server at our data center has a 1 gbps connection, I forget the speed at my office but it's certainly faster than anything you'll find at the average home. Performance still lags, so even when the gpu was clocking 60fps I was only actually seeing like 5. Playing Super Street Fighter 4 it seemed liked the characters just teleported everywhere lol. It's a cool idea but I say it's a gimmick, it's not likely to be both profitable and cost effective for business or gamers.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-19 05:19:19 »
Shinra Tech
Avalanche studio
CLOUD gaming

is it the 1st april already?

LeonhartGR

• ~Whatever...~ Enjoy life!
    • View Profile
    • LeonhartGR Productions
« Reply #3 on: 2014-09-19 10:41:19 »
Hahahahahaha!

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2014-09-20 05:47:35 »
Half life 3 .... er FF7 Remake confirmed!

Vgr

• Global moderator
  • If it quacks like a duck, it must be a duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2014-09-20 11:08:41 »
Half-Life 5 would come out before Square makes a FF7 remake :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2014-09-20 21:23:50 »
Dear Consumer,

We are disabling services and support for FF7 Steam as part of our new and revolutionary Cloud platform which is totally ready for widespread commercial use without any technical issues that we care to listen to. FF7 can now be purchased from our new and revolutionary Cloud platform for $29.99 and in an act of generosity yet to be matched on this Earth, we will extend the same deal given during our abortion of FF7's 2012 Re-Release and offer you, our consumer, a 10%- no, 5% discount on this title if you purchase it from our new and revolutionary Cloud platform within the next 3 days, which funnily enough is the average amount of time needed to load battles when playing FF7 from our new and revolutionary Cloud platform.

Sincerely,
-Shinra Corp.

Tenko Kuugen

• Public Enemy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 2014-09-21 14:32:52 »
Not enough money grubbing

dkma841

• delete
    • View Profile