Author Topic: System overhaul and save files  (Read 4077 times)

tacorice

• View Profile
System overhaul and save files
« on: 2016-04-02 05:49:11 »
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my post. I have a few questions about how to properly restore game saves before I proceed with a system overhaul.

Game used: FFVII Steam PC installation patched with FF7_GameConverter_7H.exe and modded exclusively with 7th Heaven mods using the tutorial @ http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=15520.0

Question 1. The C:\user\Documents\Square Enix\FINAL FANTASY VII Steam\user_12345678 directory only contains two files: achievement.dat and metadata.xml. The F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VII\save directory contains save**.ff7 files exclusively. Should both of these files locations be backed up and restored before launching the modded game for the first time?

Question 2. I will re-install the game from Steam and re-patch and mod it as I did before. Is there any part of the re-installation process that needs to be done a certain way to make sure the saves from the previous installation function correctly?

I have looked around for a thread discussing this here and elsewhere but I have not been able to work these things out. If I am in the wrong place or I have missed something then please accept my apologies and if you might point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
« Last Edit: 2016-04-02 06:10:55 by tacorice »

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: System overhaul and save files
« Reply #1 on: 2016-04-02 12:41:05 »
normally the steam version saves in the folder with metadata.xml . the New path maybe from your patch since the old (97pc) version saves in <installdir>/save . it will not hurt to save both folders but if you are not going to run the steam version untill you convert it to the old pc version the metadata.xml and achievement.dat dont' need to be saved. If you find that you needed them you can just make new ones using black chocobo.

tacorice

• View Profile
Re: System overhaul and save files
« Reply #2 on: 2016-04-06 12:00:00 »
Thanks for the great answer! That cleared up everything.  :D