Author Topic: Can't even run Vanilla FF7 (Steam) through 7H  (Read 1981 times)

AznApple

• View Profile
Can't even run Vanilla FF7 (Steam) through 7H
« on: 2020-05-06 05:05:36 »
Hi all,

I am new to modding and this forum. After beating FF7 remake on PS4 and seeing the Steam sale (Golden Week), I decided to purchase the OG game for my PC (Runs NVIDIA 1080Ti). The Steam installation was not done through "Program Files" but through my D:// Drive.

After installing FF7 on Steam, I installed the latest version of 7H (v2.0.3.406). As a test to see that it runs, I attempted to launch an unmodded "vanilla" FF7 through 7H. There was a successful launch but it appears that the first "Square Enix" clip doesn't fully load. It does pop up....but takes a good 45 MINUTES for the entire logo to appear and the classic SE "beep" sound to play.

I guess that this is indication that there is a compatibility error or something with my computer and 7H...and definitely my dreams of subsequent modding are now in despair.

Any idea what is wrong?

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
Re: Can't even run Vanilla FF7 (Steam) through 7H
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-06 08:26:25 »
Try tinkering with your settings in 7H>Settings>Game Driver. Double-check your available drive space. Very low disk space causes extreme slowness issues and of course makes virtual memory useless.

If you press a button or key to get past the intro movies, does the game itself work OK, or is it just getting bogged down on the movies? (There are skip FMV mods out there, or as a test you can even rename your movies folder so they aren't accessible by the game--it'll still run, just with glitches). Also check your app.log in ff7 folder to see if anything is obviously wrong in there.

AznApple

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-06 13:34:52 »
Hi and thanks for the prompt response. Nothing wrong with my disk space as I have over 1.5 TB left. My Game Driver settings are unchanged from the default too...

No, I can't even get past the intro 'Square Enix' movie. Takes around 10-45 minutes to even see the 'Square Enix' displayed and to hear the 'ping' sound. After that, the game simply freezes.

I also tried launch the game through Steam and there were no issues whatsoever...

unab0mb

• 7th Heaven Crew
    • View Profile
    • 7th Heaven Web Site
« Reply #3 on: 2020-05-07 04:17:53 »
Make A/V or Windows' DEP is interfering? Try adding your ff7.exe to both whitelists. Beyond that, the game driver may not like your system for whatever reason, but this is the only known case of this problem happening AFAIK. You could try swapping out the game driver w/ FFNx. It's not officially integrated/supported by 7H yet, not until a future release.

AznApple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2020-05-08 16:18:05 »
Hi unab0mb, thanks for your suggestions. I tried the whitelist option, but that didn't work as well. I googled FFNx, and will try this later...but I really want to use 7H.

Ironically, the game runs fine and smooth if launching through Steam....