Author Topic: Wine, Linux and FFVII  (Read 3769 times)

Renderguy

• View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« on: 2003-11-22 18:27:32 »
I've been trying to get FFVII to work under Linux with Wine (A building of standard Windows APIs for Unix). It installed perfectly, but when I try to run it, I get the "Please insert Disk 1,2 or 3" message.  I remember there is a registry entry you can change to get FFVII to read FMVs of the hard disk, but does anyone remember what you change?  I am fairly sure it just won't read /mnt/cdrom, so finding a way for it to run without the cdrom would be wonderful.

Jedimark

• View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« Reply #1 on: 2003-11-23 11:11:04 »
I havent got FFVII installed at the moment so I can't be 100% sure on this but look in the registry for Final Fantasy VII and there should be keys like DataPath or MoviePath which <under windows> read along the lines of d: I guess you could fiddle around with them.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« Reply #2 on: 2003-11-24 08:35:49 »
yea fire up REGEDIT or create a registry file and run it
i dont know how registry works in Wine
heres the path u want
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Square Soft, Inc.\Final Fantasy VII
change the following keys:
DataDrive
&
MoviePath
both point to your cd drive
remember to post some screen shots OK :)

Rubicant

• View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« Reply #3 on: 2003-11-24 10:02:14 »
Here, I'll feel guilty if I don't help you out. Try using this tidbit of ff7 registry I use whenever I reinstall windows. Since my installation disc was destroyed by a dog(no seriously, haha), I've had to rely on this registry file for some time. The only difference/flaw it contains is that the movies will be placed in the "movies" directory, inside the ff7 root directory. Sorry I couldn't be much more help.

You can get the registry here.

Renderguy

• View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« Reply #4 on: 2003-11-27 17:07:42 »
Thanks for the help everyone! Skillster, wine creates files in ~/.wine/ called "user.reg" and "system.reg". Sice I don't have a easy copy of reegit available on linux I'll just grep for the string.  As for the screenshots, I really don't have anywhere top put any, though I'd be happy to email you some.

EDIT: I mounted my windows partition, used regedit and found to my surprise that the key was "Z:/" and "Z:/FF7/Movies".  Considering that in wine, my "D:" drive is set to be the cdrom and "Z:" my Linux partition, I can understand it's problems.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Wine, Linux and FFVII
« Reply #5 on: 2003-11-28 14:11:07 »
please email them to
[email protected]
thanks ill put them up online and post a link here