Author Topic: NES cartridge configurations: I want FF2!  (Read 3157 times)

macksting

• View Profile
NES cartridge configurations: I want FF2!
« on: 2003-12-28 00:55:11 »
Okay, so supposing you can burn EPROM's via some means, a means I'm not personally familiar with.
Supposing you can, theoretically, place those EPROM's upon a board and make an NES game.
Supposing those boards have different configurations depending on which game company and what their requirements may be... and I want a game which only exists on the Famicom.

What would it take, again theoretically, to put Final Fantasy 2 on a cartridge for my NES?

Smurgen

• View Profile
    • Http://smurgen.kj-soft.com
« Reply #1 on: 2003-12-28 04:43:31 »
you can...just look on some sites for a NES flash cart..they exist so you don't even have to build them.
Dunno how the savestes would be handled though

macksting

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2003-12-28 13:21:05 »
Ooooooh...
More details?

Are they just as good and durable?

ACK! They sound expensive! Okay, I'll continue looking into that, but so far all I've found is GBA flash carts and NES emulation for it. If you find something I don't, give me a link, please.
But also, I do want to know the particulars of making a genuine cartridge, in case they last longer. Flash carts have the advantage of being able to overwrite them when you're bored with them, but some things just don't get boring.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #3 on: 2003-12-28 13:41:18 »
I think it'd be very hard to make a "real" NES cart.  A flash cart would be your best bet.  I don't think there'll be a problem with your flash cart not lasting, but you'd have to check and see if you can actually save the game (progress) onto it (i.e. battery backup save), I dunno if all flash carts would support this.

macksting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2003-12-28 13:57:31 »
*quirks jaw*
I was told that, except for the differences in configurations from one cartridge to another (and there was some 16 normal board types), the process wasn't too tough. Just take a board of the right type (that being sometimes difficult; I understand some of the types can get a little rare, and finding a cartridge you don't mind destroying can be hard among those board types or whatever...) and unsolder the EPROM's.
The hardest part, so I was told, was making an EPROM writer to connect to your computer. Friend of mine had an EPROM writer, he says, but he also says it bwoke, and he'd have to make another, just for his own purposes.

So, tell me about the proveness of Flash roms...