Author Topic: The Great FF7 FAQ (now outdated)  (Read 369029 times)

RW_66

• View Profile
The Great FF7 FAQ (read before posting for FF7 support!)
« Reply #225 on: 2006-02-04 07:06:43 »
Suddenly my game is crashing the computer. It happens at random, though it tends to happen when the computer or the game has been running for a while. The system shuts down and the screen turns black, the music continuing for a while before it loops like a record and then stops. Any idea what's going on?

Yeah  :-? .. Unfortunately, FF7 was originally programmed for Win 95 systems. Basically it was used to emulate a PSX program, due to the loss of the original PSX programmer notes and files. In trying to update the program to run on machines and OSes that it never designed for, some small tasks don't execute exactly the way they were designed to. Certain tasks are started but never really finished, some data get mis-directed etc., etc. These are usually known as memory leaks. Unfortunately, these problems can't be resolved without re-writing the source code of the game, which is illegal (even for free) unless you have permission from the company (like id did with the original Doom game in '99).

So, save often.. and just remember that your playing a game that really wasn't designed for the PC, on a system that didn't exist when it came out.

Shaher

• View Profile
    • http://www.finalcraft.com
« Reply #226 on: 2006-02-04 12:52:48 »
Short question:

The screen of the game doesn't fit in the monitor...
(About 5% of the screen on the very left site doesn't fit)
Is there a way to fix this problem ?
(Without scaling the monitor in the setup, cuz doing this means doing it twice, each time you want to play)

wilddrew

« Reply #227 on: 2006-02-26 20:23:33 »
Quote from: Shaher
Short question:

The screen of the game doesn't fit in the monitor...
(About 5% of the screen on the very left site doesn't fit)
Is there a way to fix this problem ?
(Without scaling the monitor in the setup, cuz doing this means doing it twice, each time you want to play)

You should scale the monitor, because it push left the screen in this resolution mode.

I have a question - i have read previously about the pixelation of the background, and I accepted that I cant fix it, but I tried out a ps version under an emulator, and it uses some kind of blur, and it looks grate on my monitor - but the characters are shity compared to the highres-reunion pc version...

Is there any way to make blur effect to FF7, or for the whole xp screen?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #228 on: 2006-02-27 04:41:01 »
Not at the moment, that would be hard to implement.

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #229 on: 2006-03-16 11:30:19 »
I have Installed the game after I found it on the attic wich it has been lying now for quite a while :p tougth it would be fun to replay it. Anyways, I have installed the game found all the updates this laptop even support the 8 bit palleted textures. But when I run the game I Hear the Eidos Logo Screen is all black and then it locks up. I have tried Running it in 98 compatibility mode   tried pretty much anything. So if you have any hints as to why it does not work I would appriciate it :)

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: 2006-03-16 15:57:37 »
I would suspect the issue the edios video itself, check to see that it's there, and if it is, can you play it.

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #231 on: 2006-03-16 17:19:49 »
Its there and its playable nice suggestion but sadly not the issue :(

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: 2006-03-16 17:31:02 »
When you play it outside of the game do you see the actual edios label?

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #233 on: 2006-03-16 17:56:47 »
Yep, nothing wrong with the movie file.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #234 on: 2006-03-16 18:52:21 »
First of all:
  1) Install DirectShow filter from Install CD
If it doesn't help
  2) Install upside-down movie patch (from The Great FF7 F.A.Q.)
I. I. D. H.
  3) Uninstall ALL your codecs (you can install them later) and install TrueMotion2.0 once again
I. I. D. H.
  4) Press Enter on the NumPad when you hear the Eidos Logo, it should get you into main menu
I. I. D. H.
  5) Revert to step 1...

dziugo

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #235 on: 2006-03-16 20:00:05 »
seems it was my codec pack that did it. Thanks for the help :)

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
« Reply #236 on: 2006-03-16 20:05:51 »
I. I. D. H.?? what does it mean?

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #237 on: 2006-03-16 20:41:17 »
all looked good until I got out of the elevator in the first reactor, met those laser shooters and attacked and blue screened ~~

these are the files that caused the blue screen...
C:\DOCUME~1\Espen\LOKALE~1\Temp\WER0121.dir00\Mini031606-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Espen\LOKALE~1\Temp\WER0121.dir00\sysdata.xml

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #238 on: 2006-03-16 21:33:19 »
Quote from: Grisu
"If it doesn't help"
Quote from: VallhallaFTZ
These are actually:
 - "small dump" of memory when the BSOD appeared and...
 - info about the problem
And BSODs aren't caused by FF7 directly.

dziugo

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #239 on: 2006-03-16 21:41:42 »
Quote from: dziugo
Quote from: Grisu
"If it doesn't help"
Quote from: VallhallaFTZ
These are actually:
 - "small dump" of memory when the BSOD appeared and...
 - info about the problem
And BSODs aren't caused by FF7 directly.

dziugo

and how do I fix this dump of memory so I can play the whole game and not just the first 3 minutes?  -_-

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #240 on: 2006-03-16 21:46:19 »
You don't. Dump is just an info, and BSODs can be caused by bad drivers, corrupted files (because of the power down), the UFO, etc. Check what is causing it, and we'll try to help...

dziugo

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #241 on: 2006-03-16 22:18:25 »
16. mars 2006 Applicatio n Error Feilende program ff7.exe, versjon 0.0.0.0, feilende modul ddraw.dll, versjon 5.3.2600.2180, feiladresse 0x0001cebd.

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #242 on: 2006-03-17 05:55:12 »
All I can say: Update your graphics drivers and DirectX.

dziugo

VallhallaFTZ

« Reply #243 on: 2006-03-18 13:15:50 »
driver is updated and I use directx 9.0c or whatever it is called.

still same dump -_-

Contamination

« Reply #244 on: 2006-04-10 00:01:42 »
Couldn't find an answer for this so here goes.
First off here are my specs;

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual-Core 3800+ (2.35 OC)
GigaByte 3dRocket 4000RPM CPU Cooler
DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLi-DR Expert
OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 1024MB Gold GX XTC (x2=2GB)
MSI GeForce NX7800GTX PCI-e 256MB (x2=SLi)
WD 200GB & 300GB HD (IDE)
OCZ PowerStream 520watt PSU SLi Ready Adjustable
SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1
Samsung SyncMaster 960BF 19" LCD (4ms)

I have the newest ForceWare drivers installed obviously. :P I installed the game, patched it, and installed the hand patch, that's it. I have tried the tutorial on page one using RiveTuner to change my AA settings, but when I go into the Tuner I don't even have a tab called AA I looked everywhere. Now, I can change these setings within my ForceWare software itself. Should I be dissabling the RIVA FIX and then apply the AA or what? I can't even get 2xAA to run without nast lines and artifacts yet I can run F.E.A.R. @ 1024x768 everything on max including FSAA and AF and run it smooth at NO LOWER than 67 FPS, so I know it's not my hardware. Please help, it's so annoying looking at Jaggies, reminds me of the first crop of PS2 games back in the day. lol Thanks in advance for any help you give me on this subject. Cheers.

Sad Jari

« Reply #245 on: 2006-04-10 00:23:10 »
Quote from: Contamination
SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1

I bet that listing that made you feel so good. :roll:

I can't even get 2xAA to run without nast lines and artifacts yet I can run F.E.A.R. @ 1024x768 everything on max including FSAA and AF and run it smooth at NO LOWER than 67 FPS, so I know it's not my hardware.

Life's a bitch and...

No, seriously. I'm sorry if this offends someone, but listing your CPU cooler? Come on, this is just some kid wanking off to his new hardware.

Contamination

« Reply #246 on: 2006-04-10 01:19:28 »
Quote from: Sad Jari
SoundBlaster Audigy 5.1

I bet that listing that made you feel so good. :roll:

I can't even get 2xAA to run without nast lines and artifacts yet I can run F.E.A.R. @ 1024x768 everything on max including FSAA and AF and run it smooth at NO LOWER than 67 FPS, so I know it's not my hardware.

Life's a b*tch and...

No, seriously. I'm sorry if this offends someone, but listing your CPU cooler? Come on, this is just some kid wanking off to his new hardware.

First of all, I'm not a kid, married turning 29 and I have a 10 year old son who is the one that really needs this answered more than me, oh did I mention I work for the RCMP, so unless we're in the habit of recruiting 'kids' your comment is juvenile in itself. So please, enough of the flamming, it was stated to list my EXACT set-up, so excuse me, all I did was copy and paste from my account at the Overclockers Forum, so if you don't mind, unless have something helpful to add, please put your keyboard away ad go flame somewhere else.. Cheers.

kinkouin

« Reply #247 on: 2006-04-19 20:33:41 »
Ok, after installing FF7 and the 1.02 patch, I can run it fine, except until it gets to the main menu with the New Game or Continue options. When it gets there, it seems that something is pressing on the down arrow (I used the laptop config file to avoid using the keypad) when I'm not pressing anything. I keep pressing entire until it hits New Game. After that, the intro vid works fine, and then it goes black. The textbox shows up fine, and the audio is fine, but theres nothing except black. Fight scene ensues with the two soldiers, and that works fine, but it seems that something is hitting on the left arrow, causing it to always go on the Change (for change stance, moving forward or back option) unless I hit the right arrow key, which makes it go to the normal option, and move up one, only for it to go back to the Change option again.

I'm running off a P4 2.8 Ghz, 1 gig Ram, and ATI Radeon 9600.

Any idea whats causing it to do all of this?

V_mod

Re: The Great FF7 FAQ (read before posting for FF7 support!)
« Reply #248 on: 2006-05-10 16:38:16 »

It doesn't matter if you have a broken/misplaced copy of the "real thing..."  Keep back-ups of your discs or try to get a replacement from Eidos (it has been done).
-------
I backed up my discs from 1-3 ages ago, forgetting to do so with the install disc. How can I get a replacement one from EIDOS, if it's damaged?? <during installation: An error occured during the data move process -117>

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Re: The Great FF7 FAQ (read before posting for FF7 support!)
« Reply #249 on: 2006-05-20 07:42:01 »
CONTAINIMATION:  Look arouind here for the Saitns HIGH RES patch.  It lets you play the game at a higher resolution, gets rid of "background noise", and eneables AA and AF.  Theres some graphical wierdness (Most notibly, some spell effects only apepar in the upper left part of the screen), but otehrwise it's great =)

KINKOUIN: Go into ff7config and play with the various options.  try unchecking the nvidia box, or hitting "TNT mode" if it's nto already selected.