Author Topic: Hand Patch  (Read 25813 times)

Hand Patch
« on: 2004-04-17 02:22:01 »
Alright, I've been informed that people are having trouble downloading my FF7 hand patch. The question is: can anyone (besides me) actually download the thing without either getting server errors or CRC problems?
Thanks.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #1 on: 2004-04-17 02:33:59 »
I can, ill host it on my server and see if you can download it.  Try it here:

http://www.yourwebspace.com/cgi-bin/dreakon/handPatchV01.rar

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #2 on: 2004-04-17 04:50:46 »
I'll host it, as well, as soon as my site stops being a whiney biatch =)

sfx1999

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #3 on: 2004-04-17 06:42:15 »
No problem here. It downloaded fine for me.

Hand Patch
« Reply #4 on: 2004-04-17 19:01:13 »
Thanks for the input. It appears I can breathe easier because it looks like most people can get it without a problem. Also, thanks for the mirrors! Any and all are welcomed.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #5 on: 2004-04-17 19:31:39 »
Nice patch BTW.  Are there plans for an update?

Hand Patch
« Reply #6 on: 2004-04-17 19:38:13 »
Thanks! Actually I'm working on an update right now. Hopefully it'll be finished later today, although it may take longer.

ye-roon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #7 on: 2004-04-17 19:45:03 »
whats the hand patch for?

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #8 on: 2004-04-17 19:55:42 »
Quote from: Srethron Askvelhtnod
Thanks! Actually I'm working on an update right now. Hopefully it'll be finished later today, although it may take longer.

Take your time, I am just glad people are still working on FF7, being such an old game and all :).

What might be in the new update?

Quote from: ye-roon
whats the hand patch for?

It's a patch for FFVII PC that makes the hands of characters when they are running around (normally, not in battle) look better and more realistic.

xeriouxi

• View Profile
Erm...
« Reply #9 on: 2004-04-19 10:44:32 »
Hi!

That's a nice idea! But... I hate WinRAR, so could somebody put the file up somewhere in .zip format? I'll try it when I get home if I can get online! Does anybody have any pictures of the patch in action? :D

xeriouxi.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #11 on: 2004-04-19 12:25:05 »
Xeriouxi: Here ya go: Of all the characters, the hands look kinda bad on Cloud. (Notice how his arms get huge at the end, then suddenly BOOM skinny wrist? looks funny.. but that can't be helped @ the moment) But it looks better with people with skinny arms, those who have coats, or at least gloves.  Maybe it's just me =/

anyway: http://www.ff7-universe.com/images/Cloudwithhands.jpg

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Hand Patch
« Reply #12 on: 2004-04-19 17:31:10 »
Dude...this is awesome....you've got mad skillz!

Heh...now the chars look one more step closer to REAL people :P

ye-roon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #13 on: 2004-04-19 19:36:57 »
Quote from: darkdevil
Dude...this is awesome....you've got mad skillz!

Heh...now the chars look one more step closer to REAL people :P

take note srethron made it, not steele ... and yes it looks uber, finally some hands..

Hand Patch
« Reply #14 on: 2004-04-22 01:39:06 »
Alright, the new version's up. Linky

Quote from: Dreakon
What might be in the new update?

Bug fixes (mainly Cloud's animations) and World Map support.

Quote from: xeriouxi
I hate WinRAR

Really? Why? The version 1 .rar file is 502 KB, Aaron's .zip is 717 KB. Doesn't non-lossy smaller == better?

Quote from: EmperorSteele
(Notice how his arms get huge at the end, then suddenly BOOM skinny wrist? looks funny.. but that can't be helped @ the moment)

Yeah, it's more of taste issue, IMHO (since the Square 3D Modellers are the ones who did it.) Still, I have a few ideas. I'll let you know if any of them work.

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Hand Patch
« Reply #15 on: 2004-04-22 07:50:53 »
Quote from: xeriouxi
I hate WinRAR, so could somebody put the file up somewhere in .zip format?

But why ? Rar is in all ways better than zip. It produces smaller files. Else then that it can do everything that zip can + it can open zip archives.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #16 on: 2004-04-22 18:44:36 »
Srethron, if you replace peoples hands with that and recolor them, couldn't you replace everyones arms and wrists with one that is normal size so you don't get the fat arms to skinny hands problem?  Just do what you did with the hands only with the arms and wrists.  I am sure you can find a pair of normal looking arms somewhere in the game :)

(If you could send me a PM explaining exactly how to do all this I would gladly do it myself :))

Hand Patch
« Reply #17 on: 2004-04-22 19:04:34 »
Sure I can do it. It's just a matter of finding that pair of normal looking arms, since for Square, the way Cloud looks is considered the status quo.  Square modellers often reused existing pieces from old models whenever possible. See, field hands are divided into the upper-arm, forearm, and hand.

If you look closely, most of the upperarms of men without  sleeves look just like Cloud's:
Code: [Select]

/ \
-  ==
 \_/

As do the forearms:
Code: [Select]
  ___
  /   |
==    |
  \___|

The part you want to fix is the ==== (combined)

...anyway, I think I've finally found some suitable pieces and am currently trying it out.
Trouble is that little kids, women, and fat people are all in different proportion to each other, including their arms/hands. That's why the hand patch makes some models (like Scarlet and, some say, Cloud) look trippy.

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #18 on: 2004-04-22 19:41:52 »
I can't remember too well, but would womens arms look okay on someone like Cloud?  And could you add them to Cid and Vincent and stuff without too many proportion problems?  All they would need is a change in coloring.

I may get into the game and take a good look at the models so I can verify what I am saying a little more.  Like I said, give me a little explanation on how to do all this and I will gladly help ;)

EDIT: The shoulder of the characters don't nessesarily have to be redone, the second half leading to the hands would be good enough.  Unless you have to change the shoulders too...

Hand Patch
« Reply #19 on: 2004-04-23 03:47:40 »
Women's arms *might* look ok on Cloud, but most of theirs are even skinnier. =P
And could you add them to Cid and Vincent and stuff without too many proportion problems?

Well, Cid has sleeves halfway down, which presents all sorts of potential problems (or easy shortcuts, depending on how you approach it.)

Like I said, give me a little explanation on how to do all this and I will gladly help

I pretty much explain how I've done everything in the handpatch v01.5 readme. What exactly is unclear?

The shoulder of the characters don't nessesarily have to be redone, the second half leading to the hands would be good enough.

You may or may not, depending on how you do it.

I guess I'm unclear as to exactly how people want the arms to be fixed. What exactly do you want me to do to them?
Here's a picture of the latest I've come up with. The problem with this one is that his forearms are now abnormally long. Is it enough to be noticeable? Or would you be happy if I went with it?

Dreakon

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #20 on: 2004-04-23 10:33:24 »
Yeah the left arm is a little wierd.  Are there any thinner arm parts you could use, or is that pretty much the best one?  The right side looks great btw...

P.S:  It still looks great though, I just hope it looks that good on other characters...

savage-xp

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #21 on: 2004-04-23 23:08:04 »
Hummm... What a cool ideia... :wink:

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #22 on: 2004-04-25 05:27:12 »
I still can't get that link working.. maybe it's an IE thing, i dunno =/

JPWest

• View Profile
Hand Patch
« Reply #23 on: 2004-05-04 00:31:58 »
can someone zip the new patch?  i dont have winrar and dont want any dumb evaluation software on my comp.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Hand Patch
« Reply #24 on: 2004-05-04 01:55:40 »
WinRAR's not bad.  (WinZip is evaluation software as well, anyway, unless you pay the $$$).
If you don't let it integrate into the shell (WinRAR, that is - it's an option during setup), then you'll never know its there :P