Author Topic: Chocobo Racing  (Read 5539 times)

Mage246

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« on: 2004-05-21 05:37:01 »
I've bred my chocobo up to Gold, fed him enough Sylkis Greens to kill a Zolom, but I still can't win S-Class races! No matter how powerful my Chocobo gets... that &$*# Black Chocobo always stays impossibly powerful. 163 km top speed stamina: 1467!!!!! This is the second time I'm playing through the game, but I can't remember if I ever maanged to beat him the first time through. Does anyone here have any tips as to how to beat this guy/raise a better Chocobo? My gold seems to be amxed at 147 km top speed and stamina at 999.

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, I was having server problems.

Messiah99

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-21 06:27:13 »
Yep, Joe worked his magic, and drove a player nuts  :D I can remember how p*ssed off I used to get at him. Don't worry, no matter how great your chocobo ever is, his will ALWAYS be just that much better. I've had some spectacular ones in the past, and he always has a better one.

But as for beating him, that's not the most difficult thing in the world. You can beat him with just about any chocobo with enough stamina, it's speed isn't important, because he will always be faster, and his speed and stamina depends on yours.

Best advice: As much stamina as possible, start the race holding OK and burst at full speed, keep it up until your stamina bar is down a good ways, nearing empty (on the short course this should be almost to the end of the spiral, can't recall where about I stop that first push on the long course). Remember to refill your stamina, or else you'll never have enough and wear out, then you're screwed. Give it another burst roughly every 5 seconds or so, just enough to keep your lead, because he will be gaining on you, but not so much that you burn up your stamina. Then when you get near the end, burst again, and get across that line as quick as you can.

The keywords for beating him? Burst and stamina. Once you get a chocobo with 999 stamina it's not too difficult, because you can push it hard for as long as possible. Hope that was of some help, but then with my skill with explaining things it might not be  :wink: LOL. But either way, best of luck to you.

P.S. While it's nice to be able to say you beat Joe, sadly you don't get anything for it other than that, which was a let-down I thought. They could have at least had him show up to congratulate you for owning him in his own sport.

P.P.S. Sorry for the tiny letters, I'm still a bit new here and didn't want anyone to jump me for saying that, I'm still not entirely sure what passes for spoilers in these parts  :erm: That and I don't know how you post with the black strip over it like I've seen other spoilers. Haven't used a message board for a few years, please forgive my ignorance there. That and sorry for making this so long, I'm sure you're all tired of reading this, if you still are, LOL.  :o

eerrrr

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-21 09:26:57 »
Quote from: Messiah99
P.P.S. Sorry for the tiny letters, I'm still a bit new here and didn't want anyone to jump me for saying that, I'm still not entirely sure what passes for spoilers in these parts  :erm: That and I don't know how you post with the black strip over it like I've seen other spoilers. Haven't used a message board for a few years, please forgive my ignorance there. That and sorry for making this so long, I'm sure you're all tired of reading this, if you still are, LOL.  :o

[ SPOILER ]Secrets inside[ /SPOILER ]
But without the spaces next to the brackets.
Spoiler: show
Voila

Messiah99

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-21 09:39:17 »
So like this?

Cool, thanks much eerrr. Now that I know that I'll stop wasting space on someone elses thread, lol.

But I stand by what I said,
It would be nice if you got something special for beating Joe, who's the best chocobo racer around. Even an acknowledgement that you beat him would have been fine.
Oh well, it's still a fantastic game, and that's what matters!  :D

Synergy Blades

Chocobo Racing
« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-21 12:34:10 »
You do, if you beat him enough times, the chocobo woman (name escapes me) says something along the lines of "wow, you've beaten Joe so many times, here" and gives you one of each of the rarer items that you would normally have to get by winning the races and exchanging your winning ticket for an item.  :)

Mage246

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-21 17:46:39 »
Hey, could someone post the FF7 Playstation buttons and what they correlate to in the computer version? I know how to regain stamina... but I'm pretty sure I'm not pressing the right buttons.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-21 18:42:56 »
Should either be R1 and R2, or L1 and R1

And yeah, if you win 10 s-class races in a row (ie, you;d have to beat joe at least 2 or 3 times), then you get a shitlaod of rare prizes.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-21 18:56:56 »
Quote from: EmperorSteele

And yeah, if you win 10 s-class races in a row (ie, you;d have to beat joe at least 2 or 3 times), then you get a shitlaod of rare prizes.

I beleive its Pg Up Pg Dwn and Cancel....

Goku7

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-21 21:43:37 »
Quote from: darkdevil
Quote from: EmperorSteele

I beleive its Pg Up Pg Dwn and Cancel....

Which is kinda pointless when you've got a keyboard that only has that limit on the number of simultaneous keys being pressed, as even three keys is enough to make it abort the signal and not send ANY of them.

Messiah99

• View Profile
Chocobo Racing
« Reply #9 on: 2004-05-22 00:00:26 »
I think it's actually Pg Down and Assist on the PC. I thought Pg Up and Pg Down at first cuz on the PS it's R1+L1 (or maybe 2, I didn't play it much on PS), but if I recall correctly that wasn't right. Try Pg Down and Assist, best I can say, if that's wrong, I apologize.

So you do get somethin for beating him enough times? Wow, I know I've won a dozen or so S-Class races at least, maybe I just didn't beat Joe in enough of them. I'll have to try that later on. Sadly I can't play FF7 on this computer, it's installed on the other machine, which I don't have with me now, and it doesn't like this one.  :(