Author Topic: FF7 on PC  (Read 6387 times)

magus

FF7 on PC
« on: 2004-05-22 18:26:46 »
I know that this question has been asked many times but is FF7 better on the PC, PS, or PC emulator. By good I mean best graphics.

J*** H*******

Re: FF7 on PC
« Reply #1 on: 2004-05-22 18:44:46 »
Message[/list]

FF7 on PC
« Reply #2 on: 2004-05-23 03:14:58 »
On the other hand, the PC version benefits from a (slightly) cleaned up dialog translation. Some of the worst errors ("this guy are sick") are removed, but still, it's not *that* much of an improvement.

The PC version is also more moddable.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it's much easier to find a copy of the PSX version than PC.

It really boils down to what your priorities are. Are graphics the *only* thing you care about? (In that case I reccommend FFX-2 or Advent Children. ;)

fa_pa

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #3 on: 2004-05-23 12:53:46 »
Quote from: Srethron Askvelhtnod

It really boils down to what your priorities are. Are graphics the *only* thing you care about? (In that case I reccommend FFX-2 or Advent Children. ;)

Advent children is a Movie

on emulator you have other problems like performance and the many diferent gfx plugins

J*** H*******

FF7 on PC
« Reply #4 on: 2004-05-23 15:25:14 »
fa_pa

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #5 on: 2004-05-23 15:31:49 »
Quote from: Jari Huttunen
Quote from: fa_pa
Advent children is a Movie

But it does look good. :D

lol thats true it looks realy good 8)

Quote from: Jari Huttunen

Quote from: fa_pa
on emulator you have other problems like performance and the many diferent gfx plugins

True. Although, considering the problems some people are having with FF7's PC version, it might be easier to get it working (even) with an emulator. Especially so if you already have working setup for ePSXe, so that you don't have start from the scratch.

if you never had an emulator its regardless what you take but if you have a perfekt runing config and a fast pc i woul play the psx otherwise pc

i have ff7 running on emulator and i needed 4 hours to make a perfekt config so it looked good and dont needed to much performance

magus

FF7 on PC
« Reply #6 on: 2004-05-23 19:36:06 »
I heard about the improvment of graphics in the battle screen for the PC, I will try the PC version on the TV screen. I think that would work best except for the cg movies.  :D

Messiah99

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #7 on: 2004-05-24 02:11:07 »
The PC version has better in game resolution, but the CG scenes are still 320x240 (the original PS resolution, standard TV resolution), so if you play the PC version on a TV screen there shouldn't be a noticable difference should there? I've never tried it, just a guess.

halohalo

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #8 on: 2004-05-24 05:30:37 »
When you play the PS version on a Playstation, the MDEC files will show ugly scanlines. Therefore, on a TV screen, the AVI files of PC version will look better than the MDEC files of PS version.

However, when you play the PS version on emulator, the result will change.  :roll:

magus

FF7 on PC
« Reply #9 on: 2004-05-24 17:02:42 »
I haven't tried it but I think it should look good if I play on the TV. Is there anyway to take the movies from the psx disc and burn them onto a new PC FF7 disc?  :D

Contra

• View Profile
    • http://contraspontanus.deviantart.com
FF7 on PC
« Reply #10 on: 2004-05-24 23:48:54 »
No, for one, there is no quality difference, so it would be a moot point, two, the movies in the PSX version are all edited differently, and the PC version has the music as part of the movie, while they play the MIDI on the PSX version.

Not really feasable.

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #11 on: 2004-06-21 10:21:41 »
PSX version naturally gets the TV advantage automatically,

Actually, PC version still gives you an advantage on a TV. It's still 640x vs 320x. The battle scenes look a million times better on a TV-Out running the PC version, than on the Psx version.

On the other hand, the PC version benefits from a (slightly) cleaned up dialog translation.

Actually, I'd say it's a little more than slightly. I was suprised a while ago when I started playing through the Psx USA version on an emulator, about how much bad dialog there was. In the USA version, Cloud "scrapes" his knees, in the PC version, he "scars" his knees.

so if you play the PC version on a TV screen there shouldn't be a noticable difference should there?

They still look a little stretched, since they still ARE being stetched, but the crapyness is hidden a lot, as the SDTV IS the best prostprocessor in the world.

No, for one, there is no quality difference, so it would be a moot point, two, the movies in the PSX version are all edited differently, and the PC version has the music as part of the movie, while they play the MIDI on the PSX version.

Actually, if I remember rightly, the music is only part of the movie with one or two of the movies.
And I don't remember which ones :/

Synergy Blades

FF7 on PC
« Reply #12 on: 2004-06-21 10:42:16 »

In the USA version, Cloud "scrapes" his knees, in the PC version, he "scars" his knees.

What's wrong with "scrapes his knees"?

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #13 on: 2004-06-21 11:41:01 »
Not sure, but I guess, it's either that to scrape is not a word, or that one can't "scrape" a bodypart.

But I'm not quite sure. Dutch, aye?  :wink:

Synergy Blades

FF7 on PC
« Reply #14 on: 2004-06-21 14:52:00 »
Yeah, here in the UK at least if you graze or scratch your knees it's called scraping your knees.  :)

Sir Canealot

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #15 on: 2004-06-21 16:26:27 »
"scraping" your knees is a silly thing to say. Sure, in certain colloqual coversations between parents and small children I could see the term being used, but in any sort of properly writen text, it sucks.
I don't think "scared" works particly well either, but it makes it still makes it  sound like a pretty small thing (most of us have got a few scars on our knees from triping over when we were younger - I know I have) - especially as Cloud did fall off a mountain :P (well, a rope bridge, but any excuse to say someone fell of a mountain).

Relf

• View Profile
FF7 on PC
« Reply #16 on: 2004-06-21 16:41:00 »
scrape    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (skrp)
v. scraped, scrap·ing, scrapes
v. tr.
To remove (an outer layer, for example) from a surface by forceful strokes of an edged or rough instrument: scraped the wallpaper off before painting the wall.
To abrade or smooth by rubbing with a sharp or rough instrument.
To rub (a surface) with considerable pressure, as with an edged instrument or a hard object.
To draw (a hard or abrasive object) forcefully over a surface: scraped my fingernails down the blackboard.
To injure the surface of by rubbing against something rough or sharp: scraped my knee on the sidewalk.
To amass or produce with difficulty: scrape together some cash.
To injure the surface of by rubbing against something rough or sharp: scraped my knee on the sidewalk.
It is actually proper word usage(?)  though... :isee:

Threesixty

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/threesixtyci/
FF7 on PC
« Reply #17 on: 2004-06-22 15:30:18 »
...I don't remember the PC version saying scars.