Author Topic: Bike Mini game speed fix!!  (Read 8089 times)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Bike Mini game speed fix!!
« on: 2004-06-09 10:05:48 »
Okay, get this, tech heads!

Lower your monitor's refresh rate to about 60-ish.

Turn on Vsync.

Viola, it runs SLOW!  Well, not REAL slow, but slow enough to play.  I went from finishing the race in 15 seconds to finising it in a little over a minute and a half.  I call taht a dramatic difference =)  So no dangerous underclocking or code fixing or anything!  and when you're done, jusy change everything back (or set a profile for ff7 to run at these settings)

Works for the snowboard game, too, though that's something you WANT to be a little fast.

And yeah, yer all welcome =P

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #1 on: 2004-06-09 13:40:36 »
Well done Steele!
Ill check it out later :)

Everyday we get closer to a "perfect" game of FF7...

Dreakon

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2004-06-12 00:43:35 »
A n00b question but how do you turn on Vsync for FF7?

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2004-06-12 02:53:24 »
Truly, there is a God  :D

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-06-12 04:47:00 »
Dreakon: You have to do it in windows through your video card's software.  Right-click on your desktop, hit "properties", go to "display" and hit "Advanced".  You should beable to find an option in there somewhere for vsync.

Failing that, if you use rivatuner, theres a vsync option in there, too.

[edit] i suppose i've been a bit presumptuous... the game goes slower, but the enemy bikers are still kinda fast.  Still, they're hit-able, and a good enough player should bea ble to get to the finish line with at least 10,000 points after a little bit of practice.  I didn't mean to sound like i got the speed of the minigame back to "normal" psx speeds.  Unless you can set your refreshrate to 30-ish without damaging your monitor or your eyesight...

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2004-06-12 08:42:35 »
Quote from: EmperorSteele
Unless you can set your refreshrate to 30-ish without damaging your monitor or your eyesight...

GAH! The lowest i can set it as, is 75  :-?

Meh oh well...I dont have any saves actually at the bike scene for the moment, so ill check it out later.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2004-06-13 05:07:21 »
Well, 75 fps will still be better than 200+ =P

Darkdevil

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-06-13 09:21:21 »
Quote from: EmperorSteele
Well, 75 fps will still be better than 200+ =P

Ill give you that :D

Dreakon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2004-06-13 21:49:17 »
Will doing these things hurt any newer, more modern games I may be playing on my PC?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-06-14 07:35:48 »
Turning vsync on in windows will lead to a slight decrease in performance in your other games.  But you can switch if off and on at your liesure.

As for the refresh rate, some later versions of the Detonator dirvers have an option to use certain refresh rates for different resolutions (refresh rate overrides), so you can turn anything that 's 640 by 480 (ff7s res) down to 60 hz.  And you can also have vsync turn on automatically with any given application so that you don't have to keep switching it on and off (depends which drivers you're using, though)

But no, doing this won't permanantly damage your other games.  If you're used to getting a really high fps, then you may notice a slight decease in visual smoothness.  But again, you can just swich vsync off.

Trek234

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2004-07-11 15:14:47 »
I don't have FFVII installed right now, but if anyone wants to try different refresh rates that you can't select in your display control panel you can do the following

1. Go to Start menu -> Run
2. Type DXDIAG
3. Click on More Help tab
4. Click on override.

Not sure if it will work (as I'm not sure if the race is using direct draw), but if it is then maybe it can be slowed more.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2004-07-11 23:32:02 »
Quote from: Trek234
Not sure if it will work (as I'm not sure if the race is using direct draw), but if it is then maybe it can be slowed more.

If I have my understanding of DX right, then by definition Direct3D is merely the 3D-accelerated part of the DirectDraw interface...so yes, it should work.

Furthermore, I have heard that when Direct3D is initialized, DirectDraw must be started first to do the resolution/color depth/refresh-rate change the game requests before launching into Direct3D, so that could be even more reason for why it would work.

iopq

« Reply #12 on: 2004-12-09 04:45:27 »
Quote from: Trek234
I don't have FFVII installed right now, but if anyone wants to try different refresh rates that you can't select in your display control panel you can do the following

1. Go to Start menu -> Run
2. Type DXDIAG
3. Click on More Help tab
4. Click on override.

thanks I'll try that
but right now I just let all my guys die lol
2 phoenix downs down the drain T_T