Author Topic: [FF7PC-98] Higher Resolution (v1.00)(Discontinued, use Aali's driver)  (Read 378908 times)

-gone away-

• View Profile
[BETA RELEASE] Higher Resolution FFVIIPC [v1.00]
« Reply #200 on: 2005-08-01 03:16:25 »
Increadible mod.. i just tried it out and it looks dam fine indeed.

by the way voodoo47 thanks for the radlinker link ive been looking for something like this for a while for my new ATI card. Also with GeForces you just use rivatuner to get 4xAA and it looks pretty dam fine too. my old card was GFTi4400.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 2005-08-01 06:34:04 »
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting this to patch. It keeps saying that the game is write protected, but when I check the attributes of ff7.exe it says that it's not write protected at all. So I then lead the patch to ff7.exe and I get a CRC32 error and then says nothing is patched. I am running a legit copy of FF7, any suggestions appreciated, Thanks :).

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 2005-08-01 07:24:27 »
It has to be the 1.02 version.  Not the original, not the Animevamp patch, not with the chocobo patch applied, NADA.  Just 1.02.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 2005-08-01 08:00:12 »
Can you apply those patches again after you've applied the Hi-Res patch? Or no? The game is unstable for me without the Windows XP/Chocobo Patch.

EDIT: Thanks once again EmporerSteele :). The patch works great, and I don't seem to have the instability any more with it as well. Usually the first battle right after cloud hops off the train in Midgar would make the game crash, without the XP Patch. But this seems to have cleared that up all together. I havn't played the chocobo races since I've applied the patch, I'll go do that now and see if it crashes or not. :)

EDIT 2: Ok, I wen't to the Chocobo races, and it did indeed crash. I was however succesful in using the Chocobo patch *After* applying the Hi-Res patch. The chocobo patch does warn you however that there is the possibility of file corruption, because the Hi-Res patch makes the executable unrecognizeable to the chocobo patch. The chocobo patch will then ask you if you want to search for the executable so it can be patched, say yes and it should patch just fine after that. I then watched one Chocobo race just to make sure it wouldn't crash, and it did not. So this is good. :) Thanks again guys.

OMKR

Bug
« Reply #204 on: 2005-08-01 08:46:31 »
I noticed bug after EIDOS and Squaresoft logo.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/OMKR/1f33cf30.gif

Keep up the good work.

Tior

« Reply #205 on: 2005-08-01 08:48:22 »
Is there any reason why it jacks up my monitor's refresh rate to 75HZ, and would it be possible for a 60hz version?

Kinseek

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 2005-08-01 09:31:53 »
Quote from: The SaiNt
Not sure which black bar you're talking about, but I can release a fix for that movement cursor quite quickly.
I'll try to get it done when I get back today.

I wish I had a WUXGA screen =P
I suppose the game gets you black borders on the left and right sides of the screen?

Great.

No, I actually don`t get borders on the left and right sides of the screen, not anywhere. And the best thing is it doesn`t feel stretched out either. As I said though, I do get about 2-3 cm of black at the bottom though  (everywhere except the status screen oddly enough). But that is something easily ignored.

I did have a problem though; the game crashed when I exited the train after the first bombing and tried walking to the next screen. It might be this patch, or the battle to field model conversion. I`m reinstalling everything now and trying to add on the chocobo patch.

EDIT: Seems to be the batte - field model conversion. The crashing stopped once I reverted the relevant file.

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 2005-08-01 11:59:59 »
Quote from: Tior
Is there any reason why it jacks up my monitor's refresh rate to 75HZ, and would it be possible for a 60hz version?

I hope its not trying to force mine up that high because it would seriously screw it. my cheap $300 monitor can only go up to 1280 * 1024 at 60HZ.

Did anyone else notice this patch seemed to fix the Alt Tab bug? It might just be because i reinstalled windows, but i doubt it. The mod works fantastic the only problem i've encountered all day is that the finger ("of death" .. ah sorry lame rpg joke)  is directly on top of the characters rather than beside them, pointing at them.

Kinseek

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 2005-08-01 15:44:38 »
Quote from: voodoo47
..not another ati vs nvidia discusion please :roll:  (btw,do you have 6x FSAA working without gridlines on your geforce? no? I thought so :P )

Why settle for 6x when you can go for 8x? :). (or did you mean without this patch? If so, I get the same gridline results...)

The SaiNt; Have you considered making a nice frontend for future revisions of the patch? I`m thinking a cute little patcher where you can select resolutions and what-not... Having one .exe per resolution patch you make is so gauge... :).

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 2005-08-02 05:16:47 »
Hi guys, I thought I was stable with this patch, but every once in a while the game will just suddenly crash, in or out of battle. This didn't happen when I had the XP patch installed, but if I try to patch it with that. All the backround goes black, and I can only see the sprite of cloud or other characters. Please help, as I love this patch and I hope there's a fix or a tweak for it.

EDIT:

Ok, I think I've figured out the solution. First of all, stupid me forgot to set the compatibility back after reinstalling the game. So I now have it set to Windows 95 Compatibility and that seems to have stopped the crashing entirely. Also, with this Hi-Res patch, GeForce6 users and X800 Users can now keep 8-bit pallete textures enabled (I had this disabled through Rivatuner, before the hi-res patch or the images would have the grid problem). So it's one of these two things that stopped it from crashing. Just to inform others if they are having the same troubles :)

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #210 on: 2005-08-03 20:14:34 »
Alright, I've found another minor problem. When I was in Junon I couldn't see the numbers for the TV Ratings or for Heidaggers amusement level. What I mean is, the small dialogue box would come up, but no numbers/characters would appear inside the box. I didn't think much of it until I now am at the Shinra Mansion trying to open the safe, but I can't see the numbers to enter the combination. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Have you found a way around it? Thanks for any help you can give guys :)

EDIT: Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean.
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/6580/ffviihiresnotextscreenie8qz.jpg
As you can see, there are no characters that appear in the dialogue box.
I've tried many different things thus far to resolve this, such as:
Reverted drivers back to nForce 71.84
Disabled/Enabled 8-Bit Pallete textures
Disabled/Enabled: Anti-Aliasing
Disabled/Enabled: Anisotropic Filtering
Tried both 32-bit and 16-Bit color options
Various Image Quality settings
Different Windows Compatibility modes

That is all that I've tried thus far. If there are other things that you think I should try, I'd be very appreciative for your input. :) I know this isn't holding me up from playing the rest of the game, but I would like Vincent as a party member, and I'd also like the Odin Materia.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #211 on: 2005-08-04 01:18:14 »
I believe it could be a bug in the patch.
I'll have to take a look at it to be sure.
Well you could just revert back to the original executable to get Vincent while I slowly try to figure out what went wrong.
Might take a while since I'm still rather busy.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #212 on: 2005-08-04 02:10:01 »
Thanks for reading my post, I'm glad it's in your attention now. Yeah, I wen't back to just the regular .exe but I read the sticky at the top of the page on how to apply 2x2 AA so atleast I don't have to give up AA while I'm waiting for your next update. I can't wait, you're patch has made the game very refreshing.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #213 on: 2005-08-04 02:27:21 »
Ah yes, it would be nice if you could post a save file close to that point so I can test it easily.

Kai_Hawatari

• View Profile
« Reply #214 on: 2005-08-04 07:34:25 »
Hey all! Just joined up to partake in these amazing mods!

Assuming I don't mod the game at all after install, I can patch it fine with this handy little tool, but when I start the game the screen just flickers a big black screen which just doesn't quite reach the bottom of the screen (because of the irregular res of the game). I'm running a 6600GT card w/ no AA or FSAA. Any suggestions? Should I have the XP patch applied or not?

Thanks so much, sorry if this has come up before!

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #215 on: 2005-08-04 08:40:01 »
Quote from: The SaiNt
Ah yes, it would be nice if you could post a save file close to that point so I can test it easily.

Hi saint, I have a save right next to Kalm, but I'm not sure on how to upload the file. Can you help me with that. Thanks :)

EDIT: I mean I have the save right next to Nibelhiem (or whatever the town is called where the shinra mansion is located) :)

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: 2005-08-04 08:41:51 »
Quote from: Kai_Hawatari
Hey all! Just joined up to partake in these amazing mods! I own the game, though my CDs are lost and scratched so I've been using the Ultima Edition which doesn't require CDs and is auto-patched to v1.02.

Assuming I don't mod the game at all after install, I can patch it fine with this handy little tool, but when I start the game, it asks me for a CD (fair enough, I can fix that later), and flickers a big black screen which just doesn't quite reach the bottom of the screen (because of the irregular res of the game). I'm running a 6600GT card w/ no AA or FSAA. Any suggestions? Should I have the XP patch applied or not?

Thanks so much, sorry if this has come up before!

Qhimm.com gives no support to users using the Ultima Edition. Read the sticky at the top of the forum for more info.

Kai_Hawatari

• View Profile
« Reply #217 on: 2005-08-04 08:56:22 »
---

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #218 on: 2005-08-04 09:30:36 »
Hmm, that's fair, but I don't think it's relevant in this case. There's no reason to think that it being Ultima is the problem, and it's perfectly within legality for me to have a copy of it.

So I'm just asking a question, what copy I'm using doesn't really matter does it? It would make no difference if it were the original copy. At least, I'm willing to take a stab that it isn't, it won't take long to find out.

And, for the record, I did read the sticky. But, as I said, I don't think it matters that I'm using Ultima. As I said, it patches fine, so it is not a variance in version, it is more likely a hardware issue that needs to be modified.

The legality you speak of would highly depend on your country of residence.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: 2005-08-04 09:43:10 »
Hmm, that's fair, but I don't think it's relevant in this case. There's no reason to think that it being Ultima is the problem, and it's perfectly within legality for me to have a copy of it.

So I'm just asking a question, what copy I'm using doesn't really matter does it? It would make no difference if it were the original copy. At least, I'm willing to take a stab that it isn't, it won't take long to find out.

And, for the record, I did read the sticky. But, as I said, I don't think it matters that I'm using Ultima. As I said, it patches fine, so it is not a variance in version, it is more likely a hardware issue that needs to be modified.

I do understand your situation, but if the administrators/moderators of this site support people using an illegal copy (atleast in the US) than big names like Eidos/Square could start breathing down their necks, even possibly shutting down this forum/site. I would hate for that to happen as this seems to be the last place on the net that still supports this game and make it a better experience.

If you still need help, I can only suggest to look through this thread to see if your question has been asked/answered.

Kai_Hawatari

• View Profile
« Reply #220 on: 2005-08-04 19:28:35 »
I understand the... delicacy of the situation. In one last attempt, I've modified my posts. Now am I any different than any given person coming here and asking for help?

I'll understand if I still can't be helped, but I'm not sure how I'm different from someone else coming here pretending that they have a legal copy, but still asking questions.

As far as legality in my case, anyone's allowed a digital backup of software they own, so I have a backup because my copy is scratched. I still own the license to a copy of the game.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: 2005-08-04 21:10:20 »
Yes, but the "ultima edition" is not a digital back up.

Thing is, besides the legality issue, DLed copies of ff7 are hacked in such a way that it changes everything (IE, the code in teh exe), so diagnosing the problem would be different than diagnosing a problem with a legal copy.  In your case, the high-res patch may have accidentaly corrupted the exe.  I suggest reverting to the back up =/

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #222 on: 2005-08-04 23:40:39 »
Hey The Saint, I also have a save at the Great Glacier/Geia Cliffs area, when you are climbing the cliffs, you're supposed to press [Switch] repeatedly to warm yourself, I see the text box come up saying temperature, but once again no characters/numbers show up in the box to tell me what my body temp. is. This one like the dialogue boxes in junon are not that important as you can still climb the cliffs without seeing your body temp. Just keep tapping [switch] repeatedly every time you come to a new spot on the cliff side. Just thought I'd inform you of that one as well. Thanks man. :)

EDIT: Just found 2 other instances that I declare somewhat important. Both happen in the Gold Saucer, the first I noticed is from the guy that you can trade your Gil for GP with. I can't see how much gil or how much GP I'm purchasing at one time. And the other which is more important to me, is I can't see the handicaps in the Battle Arena. The frame of the dial will come up, but I can't see any of the Handicaps listed on the dial. Thanks for looking :)

EDIT 2: One more instance that I've come across as well, is when trying to feed the chocobos in your stable greens, the amount does not show up as well.

Kai_Hawatari

• View Profile
« Reply #223 on: 2005-08-05 08:41:18 »
Well, you're probably right, EmperorSteele... Ultima is intended to be altered for XP. Doesn't seem to be anything I can do.

As for legality, Ultima is simply the game, modified with extras. It would be no different if I installed the game from my cds, modified it myself and then downloaded some extras. It's still the same game content, it's just been modified. But I understand it's not a clear line, for sure.

Perhaps I'll see if a friend of mine still has his original CDs and see what I can do with them.

Still... if anyone has a suggestion...?

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
« Reply #224 on: 2005-08-05 16:31:12 »
whats modified in the ultima edition, ive read lots of talk abotu it but i dotn kwnow hat it is?/