Author Topic: Finding "Gears" (made by halkun)  (Read 7962 times)

Pursuit

Finding "Gears" (made by halkun)
« on: 2004-08-06 19:30:46 »
Ive search the forums for "gears" and i cannot find a download.... I was at the thread:

http://forums.qhimm.com/viewtopic.php?t=3095&highlight=gears

Which had these links:

http://the-afterm.ath.cx/gears/
http://the-afterm.ath.cx/gears/gears.pdf

It seems they no longer work... lol... Is there a new site? If so, can someone please post it. Thanks!

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2004-08-06 20:14:06 »
Ermm, halkun said repetitivly that naru, his webserver was down so his link to the files probably wouldnt work if he cant host them, he also said that the gears PDF is gone, though he still has all the information for it...

Pursuit

« Reply #2 on: 2004-08-06 20:24:35 »
Ok i c.... Well this is for Halkun then:

Halkun, seeing as your server is down. Id be glad to host all of the files for free. Even give u webspace. Id really like to help out.

Darkdevil

• View Profile
    • Http://darkdevil177.5u.com
« Reply #3 on: 2004-08-06 21:48:39 »
yes, But Naru crashed.  Hows he gonna give you the files?

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2004-08-06 22:04:38 »
And, you might want to pm him as i dont know how often he reads this stuff.

Pursuit

« Reply #5 on: 2004-08-06 22:05:22 »
As relf stated:
he also said that the gears PDF is gone, though he still has all the information for it...

So, its the information i need. Sure it will be a mess, but with enough free time i could go through it. Or even help recontruct what he lost.

halkun

• Global moderator
  • NicoNico :)
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 2004-08-07 02:21:47 »
I have a new(ish) hard drive and a new knopplix CD that I can use as a root drive. The replacement hard drive is only 1.2 gig so I'm going to be pressed to fit all I can on there.

Naru, as of this writing is still non-functional as a public system. I will work on her this weekend.

As far as "Gears" goes. My source document is very much intact and it takes me 30 seconds to generate a new PDF. The reason why I said the Gears PDF was gone was for two reasons.

1) I can't activily*OPEN* my source document right now beause Naru only runs in text mode and can't execute OpenOffice.org

2) The last PDF I generated was on the drive that died. I kept both the PDF and source document seperated on two drives do that in case one failed, I would have a back-up.

So everything's great., I just have to work on getting Naru semi functional. When you see my avatar reappear, you will know that it's back up gain.

Addundum

Naru can run standalone now, but this 1.2gig  is waaay to small to be running a webserver/doing any useful work with. It's caughing up bolts trying to run Mozilla and  Gimp. The sound is not availible and I've run of of IDE channels for supporting the filesystem with extra, smaller  hard drives.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a 40 gig. I have to have an operational computer for school anyway, Naru's gonna be down for the count until late in the month.  I can try and do some magic with this windws box, but consider Gears to be "frozen" for now, at least in my end..

You can still help. You have permission to share any copies of gears that you might of downloaded from me. Check your caches you might have a copy. Go ahead and write content for it. When Naru raises from the ashes agin I will be able to include that into my work.

It seems Naru took a lightning striike. Her 20 inch moniter is also blown. SO that's another investment I'm going to have to make. The case is also crap, This is so frustrating. I just spen $300 upgrading the motherboard/keyboard/mouse/CD-R  and now I have to pretty much replace everything else too.

I can't wait till my GI bill kicks in.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2004-08-07 04:14:26 »
I know this is off topic but I've always seen it misspelled on your posts Halkun. IT'S ADDENDUM!!!!

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 2004-08-07 04:25:41 »
You know, it's the fact that I'm at least *consistent* in my mispellings that I take a little solice in.  As for "Addundum" I don't think I even know how to pronaunce it correctly.  ^_^ But it's a cool word, and I'm only off by a single vowel. That's a maked improvement over when I first started posting here four years ago. Juri would actually edit my posts for readability.

You see, I'm growing... as a person! :)

Actually, joking aside, thanks for pointing that out. I made a promise to Qhimm that I would be a little more dilligent on my spelling when he gave me the Mod hat to wear. However I did grow up in Japan so my written english isn't so hot. My Japanese is just as terrible ^_^ I like to think that there's only so much room in my brain. I also have all that extra hard work just to be so darned *good looking* I must let some skills atrophy.  Writing is always the first to go, followed by my mom's phone number.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2004-08-07 04:30:01 »
Hehe. Don't limit yourself though. Don't tell yourself things like you don't have enough room in your brain. Or else it will be true...

Pursuit

« Reply #10 on: 2004-08-07 19:33:59 »
Halkun wrote:
You have permission to share any copies of gears that you might of downloaded from me.

I came too late to have downloaded gears. I have no copy of it. So, if you know anybody who does please ask them to post a link here or email me.

[email protected]

Thanks!!

PS: Good luck with the new hd.  :lol:  I had HD problems at one point... well the lightning didnt help the matter....  :isee:

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 2004-08-07 19:36:34 »
You can download it with the WWW button now

Pursuit

« Reply #12 on: 2004-08-08 00:39:51 »
Thank You, just downloaded it. I just made a quick glimpse of whats all in it and i have to say... WOW! My mouth just dropped when i read through it. Good Work!

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 2004-08-08 04:06:14 »
I just put it togeather. It's a little overyone here.

I bit the bullet and just spent some of my food money on making Naru better. It's almost a new computer now.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2004-08-08 16:56:38 »
Quote from: halkun
I just put it togeather. It's a little overyone here.

I bit the bullet and just spent some of my food money on making Naru better. It's almost a new computer now.

Food keeps me alive, if I didn't eat.. I woudln't be talking right now.. litterally.

Let me grab this version and see if it's different :D

Sorry to hear of your dueling Naru.  I'm seriously tempted to upgrade my PC's old 10gig HD with another 120gig so I'll have enough space for all the refuse I've been dumping into it!  (sigh you would NOT believe how much stuff one collects when one programs a 'simple'  thing.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 2004-08-08 20:02:39 »
It's up now, and network-wise functioning. My Japanese input is now back, I also have all those "upgrades" that turns Naru into a real computer. (For pantent and other moronic corporite reasons I can't encode mp3, play mov, wmv, or asf files, or use my DVD player without downloading software that's in a freeer country that the U.S. That fact alone makes me really sick to my stomach)

I'm holding off on turning on OpenGL unill Doom3 is avialible for Linux

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2004-08-08 21:41:35 »
It's up now, and network-wise functioning. My Japanese input is now back, I also have all those "upgrades" that turns Naru into a real computer. (For pantent and other moronic corporite reasons I can't encode mp3, play mov, wmv, or asf files, or use my DVD player without downloading software that's in a freeer country that the U.S. That fact alone makes me really sick to my stomach)

I'm holding off on turning on OpenGL unill Doom3 is avialible for Linux

Don't use MP3 use Vorbis don't use WMV or MOV use OGM or MKV they are all superior formats anyhow.

Though I am anoyed at MKV it's kind of crappily put together. I'm not sure weather to send the authors a clue called stability or just find a way to rencode the files into OGM from MKV.

Cyb

halkun

• Global moderator
    • View Profile
    • Q-Gears Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 2004-08-08 22:13:04 »
the problem is I have a lot of legasy formats from when I migrated from windows. That and many many many many websites use the above formats.

Not to mention my entire 4.5 gig mp3 collection.

qwerty

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2004-08-09 13:41:28 »

If you think that's a lot, get a Creative Zen NX Jukebox. It has 20 Gigs of mp3 storage and you can even use it as an external HD through USB 2.0! DO NOT attempt to use it with USB 1.0 or you WILL be waiting for Christmas. Literally!

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2004-08-09 16:50:03 »
the problem is I have a lot of legasy formats from when I migrated from windows. That and many many many many websites use the above formats.

Re encode with the tools from doom9

:D

Cyb