Author Topic: An actual FF9 mod for FF8PC.......is anyone interested?  (Read 21004 times)

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
An actual FF9 mod for FF8PC.......is anyone interested?
« Reply #25 on: 2001-10-01 21:24:00 »
i wish u the best of luck, anythingb to make ff8 interesting again

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 2001-10-02 15:37:00 »
Damn Goku, why couldn't you simply upload them as a zip full of patches sgt files since you didn't edit the DLS in any way as far as I understood. And also upload mp3 samples so we can hear how it sounds. Because I don't understand a thing of those add-on crap files, neither does my comp.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 2001-10-03 00:30:00 »
Thank you for reminding me, seraph.  I was gonna talk to Samuel about putting up mp3's of the mod.  However, I can't do it myself, because I'm restricted to using SoftSynths when using DLS, and most software and hardware don't support using wave playback as a recording source directly.  As for the Addon pack stuff, I can still send you reguluar zips that aren't in addon pack form.

I'm curious though: why can't the computer understand the addon format?  The FF8 MIDI configurator 2 can understand the addon file format and auto-install what is inside the addon.  Just make sure the mod is checked and is at the top of the list of sgt packages if you use the configurator.

Also, from what I know, the .addon file format uses basically the same compression code as a reguluar RAR archieve.  I bet using WinRAR to open the addon file will work.

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 2001-10-03 09:44:00 »
Seraph: The reason is that then you'd have to overwrite the original SGT's and if you didn't like the mod, restore the old ones from a backup (if you'd remembered to keep a backup....) etc.

With an addon file you just activate it using FF8 Configurator and bingo, it uses the new sgt's. Don't like it? Deactivate the addon. You can switch between the original and new setup easily, without copying/deleting files...

But like Goku said, you *can* use WinRAR to extract them (I think) and just overwrite the originals if you want...

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 2001-10-03 15:11:00 »
Hey, thanks for clearing that out to me. I'll try again. I like the add-on feature in that case, if it doesn't overwrite anything. I'll give you feedback later.

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 2001-10-03 16:22:00 »
Weird, where's the post editing feature of this forum? Anyway, I tried your patch. The updated songs weren't really a match for Slight's DLS, which sounds awesome anyway. I don't remember much how the original DLS instruments sounded, extremely crappy I remember, so I guess yours is still better than the original DLS :smile:

Since those original DLS instruments sounded so crappy, I didn't really like some instruments in your FF9 mod version. But the Samuel Slight-version was pretty good. The world map theme sounded very much like FF9's. I think that's because FF9 had a similar synth as FF8 and SS's DLS used original FF8 PSX Synth instruments. But for battle theme, it sounds pretty different from the OST. Still very good though, the FF8 instruments makes the song suit FF8's world better. Very good. I like it. The only problem is the battle intro (not the 8-beat staves, before that, during the battle whirl). In your mod, it sounds just sad compared to OST's one.

I hope you didn't get annoyed for my feedback. The mod's idea is unique, something we haven't seen before, and that what it updated it did pretty well. A newer version of the FF9 Mod would be appreciated though, where some things are fixed and maybe fine-tuned.

One more question. Why hasn't http://ffsf.cjb.net main page updated their latest news by telling about this Mod?

J*** H*******

« Reply #31 on: 2001-10-03 22:32:00 »
Message.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 2001-10-05 03:54:00 »
Actually, I was just working on the battle swirl part earlier today, and I filled Samuel in on the fact that its different than what its supposed to be.

As for the improved tracks, there should be a mention that most of the "improving" was reassigning drums so that people who don't have SBLive! or any other hardware DLS synth could hear the music with the correct drum set.  Appearantly, SBLive! cards somehow pick the correct sets without the corrections.  In other words, it allows the Microsoft Synth to use better drums than the standard set.

I'm still working on the mod, however, right now the focus is on ripping samples from FF9 for the upcoming version 1.36 of Samuel's DLS.

As for the World map theme, I think we got lucky on that one.  I myself was surprised at how good Samuel's mod version sounded.
[edited] 239 2001-10-05 04:56

J*** H*******

« Reply #33 on: 2001-10-05 05:58:00 »
Message.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 2001-10-05 23:41:00 »
Hmmm..........
A mystery is afoot here, then.  I have a friend who owns a SBLive! card and was able to get hardware DLS from it, and he didn't know about the FFSF project untill I recently told him.  However, I don't know what his OS is.

But then again, he's in Canada, and things are always a little different there.:smile:  So now the question is: Why do only Canadian SBLive! cards support hardware DLS? :???:

[edited] 239 2001-10-06 00:43

J*** H*******

« Reply #35 on: 2001-10-06 00:38:00 »
Message.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 2001-10-06 02:05:00 »
Wait a minute.  Isn't win2000 mainly used for major network deployment stuff?!

If that's the case, then I think you might be right about him having win2000.  He says he's a network administrator, and he does a lot of web design stuff.

By the way, Jari, would you be interested in expanding the mod to support your Timber Soundfont?  I mean, yeah, its good that the mod is on the FFSF site, but maybe one of the goals ought to be that different versions of the mod that are made to be compatible for each DLS or SoundFont on the FFSF site (1 for original DLS, 1 for Samuel, 1 for the timber SoundFonts, and so on).

Now, I'm not out to steal from the thunder of the work you and the others have done. I'm simply trying to make it as available to people with the different Soundfonts and DLS files as I can, just like how companies make versions for Mac, PC, Lineux, Windows NT, etc. for the same program.

Ok.  Samuel asked earlier about wanting mp3's of the FF9 songs.  Well, I found one, of the battle theme, but it's pretty cheap.  I think someone just held a microphone to the PSX while they were playing, because you can hear the "beep--beep" of the menu selections while the song is playing.  I haven't found anything else, but, hey, something is better than nothing!

[edited] 239 2001-10-06 03:15

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 2001-10-06 12:40:00 »
I wouldn't necessarily suggest that, because Timber Soundfont is 99% made out of Atomic Soundfont, which isn't Jari's. He asked permissions from him to modify the Soundfont to be used FOR FF8 MUSIC. Sure, you can say your FF9 battle song and overworld are for FF8 music, but it might sound crappy. I think I once listened to FF9 music with Atomic and the balances are all horrible, (ouch!) especially for battle songs, boss songs and the "RUN!" song. And Timber is modified somewhat to suit FF8 music, but it might sound wrong with other game musics.

For FF9, I know the more aggressive songs sound bad with their balances, and AFAIK, Jari tried Timber and Atomic with FF7 songs. "Se kuulosti vitun huonolta", he said. (that's Finnish and I'm not going to translate it) For FF8 songs, it works in some cases, in some cases it doesn't. You should really try it out first.

PS. Ok, I'll translate the line. He said FF7 songs sounded extremely bad.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 2001-10-06 19:14:00 »
Well, I was simply asking Jari if he was interested.

Anyway, the next version of the mod will fix that "battle swirl effect" part of the song.  Also, Samuel's working on getting mp3's of the mod up.

Anonymous

« Reply #39 on: 2001-10-06 19:21:00 »
Message.

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 2001-10-06 21:25:00 »
I agree mostly with you Jari.

JH: If you want to try FF9 midis with Timber then I can send them to you in e-mail (230 kb). But prepare to turn your speakers to lower or plug your ears with some songs :wink:

GOKU: Great to hear you're getting the battle song done. I can try to send you the whirl sample if you don't have the mp3. I suggest you try to stick up with Slight's version since it has the best instruments and it sounds closest to FF PSX synth quality, so that way your music will sounds most FF9-ish. An idea, mix some songs from other FFs too. Although I am against changing FF music into music from other FFs, many others could like it. Dancing Mad playing in every sorceress battle, hee hee :smile:

There's one thing I'd like to tell you. About DirectMusic Producer. Go ahead and try it. Believe me, it won't crash or run your comp out of RAM. It just looks like it crashed but in about 2-5 minutes, it WILL get even Slight's DLS loaded. It looks like "Not Responding" status, but it's still working. Just have patience. I could do that with only 64 MB of RAM and over half of the resources already in use.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 2001-10-06 22:23:00 »
Well, the problem with DirectMusic Producer is that it takes that long to load the original 8meg DLS.  So if it takes 2-5 minutes just for that, then for something almost 6 times the size of it (Samuel's DLS is 45megs) its gonna take like a half hour to get it loaded.

oh, i already got ff9 psx, so i don't need the sample.

[edited] 239 2001-10-06 23:25

Samuel_Slight

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 2001-10-07 07:05:00 »
Dag, where should I upload the MP3 previews of the FF9 Mod?
legacy or prohosting?

Seraph_Sephiroth

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 2001-10-07 16:07:00 »
Goku7, I meant that the 45 MB Sam Slight DLS took me about 3-5 minutes to load up. The normal 8 MB DLS took me just a minute. That was when I had only 64 MB ram. Nowadays I have 256 MB so it will load a lot faster.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 2001-10-08 05:43:00 »
I figured that you were refering to your system.  And yes, I do know that it's working correctly even though its showing the "not responding" status.  Right now it's just being tempermental, so now I'm basically making the edits "blind", and then testing them via the midi configurator program.  It's slow work, but at least it's faster than waiting for the 45meg DLS to be loaded while I'm out getting my homework from school, stop at a video store, come back home and find it's still not loaded. (heh heh.  Ok, ok, so i'm exaggerating!!).

Actually, I haven't defragged my hard drive in a long while.  I guess I oughta do that tommarrow. :smile:

Now, about "Dancing Mad"......I do believe I have that file somewhere.....:grin: I could try it out if you want, seraph, but considering I haven't heard what it really sounds like (on my snes emulator), I seriously doubt if I have a version that's true to the OST (if there is an OST).

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #45 on: 2001-10-09 01:38:00 »
I finally got around to playing with that mod yesterday.  Even though I've never played FF9 :eek:, the MIDIs sound pretty good (as far as general instrument balance and such goes . . . as I said, I've never heard the originals.)

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #46 on: 2001-10-09 01:40:00 »
Whats FF8 PC like? The reveiws on it werent very good.

Goku7

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 2001-10-09 04:24:00 »
Well, from what you've probably read around here, its very well done, but they dropped the ball big time when it came to the music.  That's why the FFSF Project exists, right? (that was rhetorical).  Anyway, the overall experience from the movie scenes definitely depends on your system.  Even when running the low-res movies, the sound (not the music) will keep skipping on a 233Mhz pentium-1.  Everything else is fine, and true to the PSX version, except for the occasional slowdown when too many polygons are shown on a field screen (its probably a limitation of the game engine, though.)  Another main gripe about the PC version is that the world map screens have so much slowdown, you could make a case for calling it a bug.  I'm serious about that!

[Edit] However, once the FFSF music patches are installed, the game, in my opinion, does become worth the money you spent on it.  It's definitely worth a shot if you don't have a PSX, and you want the game.
[edited] 239 2001-10-10 00:27

dagsverre

• View Profile
    • http://ffsf.cjb.net
« Reply #48 on: 2001-10-11 21:40:00 »
About uploading soundfonts: Well, if time schedules serves me right (never does), I'll get time to put up my own server next week. Until then it's your own choice. Currently ffsf.cjb.net is linked to ProHosting but if anyone has the time then move it back to legacy (kinda of wasted as I will move it to my own server as soon as I get it up though).

You can upload the soundfont to anywhere you wish, I suggest you upload it to legacy and link to it from ProHosting.

After my server gets up, things will get in more order with this.