Author Topic: Script dumper for FFIX  (Read 5115 times)

D@rio

• View Profile
    • http://www.myfantasy.prv.pl
Script dumper for FFIX
« on: 2005-01-24 20:14:53 »
Simple request, but maybe it won't be so simple as it seems.

snailrush created wonderful programs in which you could view the backgrounds and the script of FFVII and FFVIII. We could find many unseen dialogs and some new backgrounds, we never knew existed.

Now, he said he won't make 9mimic, a program which could view the script and the backgrounds from FFIX. Is anyone up to make such a program? I saw he posted a few times on this forum, maybe he could at least give some hints to anyone who's up for the challenge.

Cyberman

• View Profile
Re: Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #1 on: 2005-01-24 22:28:16 »
Quote from: D@rio

snailrush created wonderful programs in which you could view the backgrounds and the script of FFVII and FFVIII. We could find many unseen dialogs and some new backgrounds, we never knew existed.

Now, he said he won't make 9mimic, a program which could view the script and the backgrounds from FFIX. Is anyone up to make such a program? I saw he posted a few times on this forum, maybe he could at least give some hints to anyone who's up for the challenge.
I believe the correct forum for this is the tech forum.  I'm certain it can be done, unfortunately I've only done work with viewing FF9's models.  The script information will be later I suppose :)

Cyb

Zande

• 友情は武器よりも強し
    • View Profile
Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #2 on: 2005-01-25 07:57:06 »

For the background, it's a bit tricky, yeah :)

I seems there is no background images at all. There might be a few but I haven't been able to find any!
Instead it seem like the background is made up of smaller textures, and, I suppose, mapped on the 3d model, (like this on: Ceremonial Chambler (slightly messed because the format doesn't have any fuggin' polygons! but you can see the marked stairs :)).

The script is easier though, I've worked out how it works (which isn't very hard at all!)... I haven't been able to figure all commands out though.
Maybe, just maybe, I'll throw together an app that can dump the script off FF IX. :)

D@rio

• View Profile
Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #3 on: 2005-01-26 14:43:22 »
Ah, sorry Cyberman. I wanted to post it there, but then saw this little word saying "Request" in the description of the Programming feedback forum and after some confusion, posted it here :P

Zande, that would be great! After seeing the dumped script of FFVII and FFVIII (there's nothing interesting in it, though), I think it would be great for someone to dump the FFIX script. Especially since that game is in a way, a mystery. There wasn't a PC version of it, so data wasn't more accessible, there's no Debug Room, no strange things in the game... I'm really curious if we could find something in the script.

Lord_Skylark

• View Profile
Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-15 18:45:26 »
I know from FF9 a LOT Of stuff is missing:

If you take the hex ID of the existing monsters...there are missing enemies.

And if you take the Hex ID of the battle formations, at least 50% of the battle formations do not exist.

If you take the names of the FMV, you'll find that lots of FMV were removed from the 3rd disc mainly.

I imagine if the game had been compiled onto one disc (since the existing data is different on every disc -- the same battles are not present on each disc) then the dummied stuff would probably have been compiled along with it... but this wasn't the case...

~Sky

D@rio

• View Profile
Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-15 19:11:30 »
Wow, that's pretty interesting. Do you think you could provide us with more info like that? For instance, could you get the names of those monsters?

Lord_Skylark

• View Profile
Script dumper for FFIX
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-16 04:35:15 »
Unfortunately no...cause they are simply missing from the data. When they compiled the game, they removed all the dummied battles and monsters and stuff. You can only tell there were more because there's breaks in the HEX ID for enemies and battle formations.

One of the breaks is with the IDs which would follow Earth Guardian, providing a obvious speculation that you were also originally suppose to battle the other 3 guardians in real battles instead of just non-interactive cut scenes.

~Sky