Author Topic: Out of Memory  (Read 3985 times)

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Out of Memory
« on: 2005-05-14 01:03:46 »
Whenever I try to use Mv3's Sapphire to conxert txts back to the levels, it just freezes and say Out of Memory.  The txt file is 20 kbs, and the level is 1 mb.  I set my virtual memory to like 700 mb and it still says that.  My hard disk isn't full ata ll, and I_just_want_to_turn_the_txts_back_into_levels!  Once I do that, I can turn all the levels into flevel and play ff7 again. Yay!  Is the problem in Sapphire, or my comp?

RPGillespie
PS A "low virtual memory message" comes up after I try each time. Anyone else have these problems?

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #1 on: 2005-05-14 05:40:07 »
Hmm.. do you maybe have viruses or other maleware on your system thats clogging things up?  How free are your recources before and after firingt he program up?

Creative Inc

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #2 on: 2005-05-14 09:19:40 »
Or there could be a memory leak in the program sapping all you memory off for no reason.

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #3 on: 2005-05-14 15:16:44 »
I have 1024 VM and 256 RAM.  When I boot up the program, everything works, exept when I try to read the txts back into levels.  I open one level, and one txt, and it can't even handle that. The first thing I thought was a memory leak, but I don't know how to fix them.  Grrr.

RPGillespie

Goku7

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #4 on: 2005-05-14 23:44:57 »
If its a memory leak, then the best thing you can do is to try to bring it to the attention of the people/person who wrote the program and have them fix it, as memory leaks are usually a case of the programmer's code not totally releasing all the memory he's dynamically allocating when he wrote it....at least that's what I understand of how memory leaks are created.

...Well, I suppose the only OTHER way to solve it would be to reverse-compile the program or get the source code and fix it yourself, but..... :roll:

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Out of Memory
« Reply #5 on: 2005-05-15 00:28:18 »
Quote from: Goku7
If its a memory leak, then the best thing you can do is to try to bring it to the attention of the people/person who wrote the program and have them fix it, as memory leaks are usually a case of the programmer's code not totally releasing all the memory he's dynamically allocating when he wrote it....at least that's what I understand of how memory leaks are created.

That's right.  I've made mistakes involving memory allocations and loops before... you can run out of memory real fast. :-P

RPGillespie

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #6 on: 2005-05-15 03:43:53 »
I'll say. At one point my virtual memory was at 6 GB, and it was BARELY sqeaking by.  I then realized it wasn't my computer's problem.  DANG IT!  I was this close to getting rid of all the cussing in ff7!  I do not want to manually go through every file with COSMO, and reverse compiling Sapphire would be really hard.  Hmm.  M4v3R, if you are out there, could you help me one last time?  I just need to turn the txts back into levels, and that aspect of your program happens to drain my memory!

RPGillespie  
PS Isn't my new avatar sweet?  I did some special effects in adobe photoshop  :wink: .

Goku7

• View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #7 on: 2005-05-15 04:47:21 »
Quote from: Aaron
That's right.  I've made mistakes involving memory allocations and loops before... you can run out of memory real fast. :-P

Heh.  Back when I was working on the Final for my introductory C++ class, we (me plus two others, it was a group project) had to figure out a way to set aside and allocate memory space for the initial five or six "database" entries for a very basic name/address/telephone type of thing, AND since we had it load the entire database into memory to allow the user to manipulate it prior to saving any new info to a file, we had to have it dynamically allocate and release additional memory, creating new variables on the fly, destroying them when they weren't needed....

...and as a result we had some funny, program-crashing, system-beeping bugs during testing because any one of us would keep messing it up accidentally.  :P  I could only imagine the difficulty in trying to do all that allocating manually through ASM.... :erm:

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Out of Memory
« Reply #8 on: 2005-05-19 21:01:34 »
One question - do you made some big changes in the txt file before putting it right into level file ? Could you send it to me ?