Author Topic: ff7 movie enhancement?  (Read 40353 times)

Noobie

ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #50 on: 2005-09-02 10:08:16 »
Quote from: Nayus Dante
the 32bit patch makes a big black bar in the vids for me. Also, just looking at the vids in winmediaplayer, the PSX ones are a lot better looking. Then again, if you dont want to go through all the work, the PC ones are acceptable...

Yes the 32bit patch does the same for me. If someone could fix this, or just made it so the duck-decompressor is bypassed, we're in business.

I wouldn't mind going trough the work (which isn't all that much work if you have the PSX discs & PSX Multi Converter) if I would know how to get them to play in-game without having the FF7 movie playing engine fuxoring them up badly.

Chrisu

• Simply there
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Programs
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #51 on: 2005-11-29 19:53:40 »
Couls someone help me?
I have filtered a video of ff7 and changed resol. to 640x480,is there a way to make the game play the movie now?

Wintermute

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #52 on: 2005-11-29 19:56:36 »
No, the internal engine can only play movies up to a resolution of 320x240.

steven

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #53 on: 2005-11-30 05:26:40 »
Quote from: Sad Jari
Are you asking seriously?

Or should I start from the "There is no such thing as abandonware"-angle? Because there really is not, handful of old commercial games have been released as freeware, but that's just because people who own the rights wished to do so. To improve the sales of their sequels, most often.

But other than that, games don't mysteriously turn into abandonware, nor do legal people know anything about thing called abandonware as a concept.

---

"Misery is very much like mass; gather enough of it in one place and it starts to attract more. Gather really big load and it will turn into a black hole, not only attracting more, but never letting it go."
~ Me
the whole idea of abandonware is that the company that made it stopes supporting it and for the game to not be in production anymore (meaning you can't go to a store that sells pc games and buy it but have to buy a 2nd hand copy from somebody on ebay)

Since the last patch made for the game was made a few years ago ( not sure when 1.02 was released)and you can't even find anything on it on squares website :( So I think this game can fall under that category.

Sad Jari

ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #54 on: 2005-11-30 05:47:00 »
Quote from: steven
the whole idea of abandonware is that the company that made it stopes supporting it and for the game to not be in production anymore (meaning you can't go to a store that sells pc games and buy it but have to buy a 2nd hand copy from somebody on ebay)

That is what people distributing this "abandonware" would like you to believe, yes. Thing is, it has nothing to do with law. If you get caught with "abandonware", you'll be just as guilty as if you were caught with a pirated copy of Half-Life 2.

No, I have nothing against distributing old games that you really can't get from anywhere. Like Master of Magic, good luck finding it. Getting Final Fantasy VII is not even hard, though. You can get even a brand new copies with few clicks of a mouse. Don't like the platform? Tough luck, but it doesn't justify piracy.

There is another kind of "abandonware" too, but you might call it freeware as well. Some old games, such as Betrayal at Krondor, GTA 1 & 2 and few others have been released into the freeware domain by the people who have the right to do so.

Since the last patch made for the game was made a few years ago ( not sure when 1.02 was released)and you can't even find anything on it on squares website :( So I think this game can fall under that category.

Big surprise, considering that Square never released it for PC. Better try the people who did.

Besides, what's this "last patch made for the game was made a few years ago"-justification, anyway? The companies can't seriously be expected to support every title in their back catalog indefinitely. They would need ever increasing horde of programmers to just take care of titles  that are not bringing in any cash.

steven

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #55 on: 2005-11-30 06:28:38 »
you have have some good points, but this site mostly deals with modding the pc ver (say improving the char models and creating a harder mode and such), but it is only for the pc ver. Say someone wants to try out some of this stuff they can only do so with a legal copy (there is a tread saying you only support legal copys) Since the PC ver is not sold at any stores anymore how can someone buy a legal copy to try some of this? (of course this would make a good argument why to suport downloaded copys, but that will be left for another day)

Also they make patches for games when bugs arise in the game that needs to be corected. Well I can understand how they can't come out with patches all the time for everone of there games, they can at least deal with any major problume that do pop up they could have at least delt with the bugd that happen if you use a computer that is way above the system specs (the super fast motercycle minigame and the chocobo racing)

So I would have to say

*If they stoped making and selling the PC ver of the game in stores
*they stoped suportin the game and releasing any patch the fix the bugs that pop up

then I think it can and should be called abandonware

ps: also this game was made for windows 95! and microsoft recently stoped suportion 98 (I think a year or 2 ago)

ps: on the faqs for there site

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqAnswer.jsp?faq=972&altList=true&game=79&platform=3&problemType=8

it said about replacement disks

Please Note: The following titles have been discontinued, replacement disks or manuals are no longer available.

and guess what Final Fantasy VII (7) is on that list.

Sad Jari

ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #56 on: 2005-11-30 07:16:33 »
you have have some good points, but this site mostly deals with modding the pc ver (say improving the char models and creating a harder mode and such), but it is only for the pc ver. Say someone wants to try out some of this stuff they can only do so with a legal copy (there is a tread saying you only support legal copys) Since the PC ver is not sold at any stores anymore how can someone buy a legal copy to try some of this? (of course this would make a good argument why to suport downloaded copys, but that will be left for another day)

No, it would not make a good argument. Face it, there is no such thing as good reason for supporting pirated software.

I guess that you'll have to buy second hand then, if you can't find new ones. Available for example from the very same Amazon I just linked to. Very likely also available from such places as eBay.

Also they make patches for games when bugs arise in the game that needs to be corected. Well I can understand how they can't come out with patches all the time for everone of there games, they can at least deal with any major problume that do pop up they could have at least delt with the bugd that happen if you use a computer that is way above the system specs (the super fast motercycle minigame and the chocobo racing)

Read my post above for a very good reason why there are no patches coming.

If people really want a lifetime support, they should be suggesting a support contracts with a monthly fee to the game makers. Then it might make a sense to support old games that do not generate cash anymore.

ps: also this game was made for windows 95! and microsoft recently stoped suportion 98 (I think a year or 2 ago)

http://support.eidosinteractive.com/GI/CustomerSupport/FaqAnswer.jsp?faq=972&altList=true&game=79&platform=3&problemType=8

Please Note: The following titles have been discontinued, replacement disks or manuals are no longer available.

*sigh*

Dude, can I "borrow" (steal) the first vintage car I happen to see? Because one of my army buddies has a really nice '59 de Ville, quite a gas guzzler, but looks nice. Surely he wouldn't mind if I just took it?

I'm pretty sure that support for it from a Cadillac dealer is starting to be pretty non-existent these days. And you can't buy a new one from the stores, either.

Thus it's abandonware, right?

steven

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #57 on: 2005-11-30 07:38:05 »
Quote from: Sad Jari

No, it would not make a good argument. Face it, there is no such thing as good reason for supporting pirated software.

I guess that you'll have to buy second hand then, if you can't find new ones. Available for example from the very same Amazon I just linked to. Very likely also available from such places as eBay.

Read my post above for a very good reason why there are no patches coming.

If people really want a lifetime support, they should be suggesting a support contracts with a monthly fee to the game makers. Then it might make a sense to support old games that do not generate cash anymore.

*sigh*

Dude, can I "borrow" (steal) the first vintage car I happen to see? Because one of my army buddies has a really nice '59 de Ville, quite a gas guzzler, but looks nice. Surely he wouldn't mind if I just took it?

I'm pretty sure that support for it from a Cadillac dealer is starting to be pretty non-existent these days. And you can't buy a new one from the stores, either.

Thus it's abandonware, right?
a car and a pice of software are 2 diffrent things. With cars there are x ammount of them around, but with software or games you can make copys of them all day long. They can make copys of a gmae a lot easer then a car. Alsoif you bye a game second hand the company that made the game dose not get 1 cent from the sell so to them it is the same as downloading a copy off say bit torrent becuase the only thing that would mean is your disks look prittier thats it. Besides you don't know what kinda of shape the disks will be in if you are getting a used game.

ps: I think I remember hearing about some kind of law or something about selling used pc games in the usa am I crazy or is there something like that?

Sad Jari

ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #58 on: 2005-11-30 15:58:09 »
a car and a pice of software are 2 diffrent things. With cars there are x ammount of them around, but with software or games you can make copys of them all day long. They can make copys of a gmae a lot easer then a car.

Of course they can. I was just pointing out that "not supported anymore" is not a valid reason for stealing something.

Alsoif you bye a game second hand the company that made the game dose not get 1 cent from the sell so to them it is the same as downloading a copy off say bit torrent becuase the only thing that would mean is your disks look prittier thats it.

Car manufacturers don't get a dime from second hand sales either, for that matter.

Actually, the car analogy is valid here; by downloading a copy you are depriving some owner of FF7 the possibility of selling it and thus making the used game less valuable (in money).

Besides you don't know what kinda of shape the disks will be in if you are getting a used game.

Life's a bitch and then you die, as they say. In other words; that's an excuse and not a very good one, either. Yes, some people sell discs that should have been destroyed long time ago. But eBay and the like have seller rating systems, so you can check if they have done such things in past.

Hey, if you are really worried about such things, let's trade places. I'll happily worry all day long about people selling scratched discs, if you take my worries. Deal?

Besides, I recall hearing lots of complaining how certain downloaded versions don't work. You could say something about poetic justice, but you could also say that these downloaded versions don't seem to be much better than the possibility of getting discs that have been used as cat's toys. :)

ps: I think I remember hearing about some kind of law or something about selling used pc games in the usa am I crazy or is there something like that?

Don't remember hearing about such thing, but I wouldn't be totally surprised if it was true. Considering all the DMCAs and other nice stuff. Still, these things are worth investigating further because often there are lots of unfounded rumors going around; like the 'it's legal to try this software for 24 hours, if you delete it afterwards' and 'fansubbing is legal'. Neither of them are true, yet lots of people still believe that the latter is.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #59 on: 2005-11-30 16:42:13 »
am I crazy

To answer your question, no you may not be crazy.  I don't think you understand copyright or ownership of licences.  It seems you are trying to justify downloading a game illegally just because it is old.  The fact is, whoever owns the rights to Final Fantasy VII owns them until they die or they sell the rights to another.  They can allow a game developer to create a remake of the game at any time, then make a deal with a publisher to get it back on the shelves in time for Christmas.

Alsoif you bye a game second hand the company that made the game dose not get 1 cent from the sell so to them it is the same as downloading a copy off say bit torrent becuase the only thing that would mean is your disks look prittier thats it.

Are you serious?  Once a person buys any product, they own the rights to that product.  That is why it is perfectly legal to by a CD or even a vinyl record and rip them to a mp3 format.  You own the rights, so you can manipulate your property at your own free will.

Scenario:
Let's use your logic with the example of a car purchase mentioned earlier.  John steals a car, then sells the car to Fred.  If Fred knew the car was stolen property upon purchase, when caught, he would share a cell with John in prison.  If Fred didn't know the car was stolen property, it would still be siezed by the authorities.(At least in the United States.)

The ownership of those "prittier disks" is the difference between being a consumer and a criminal.  If you buy the game second-hand than thats between you and the selling party.  They could choose to give you the game at no charge.  They no longer have value in the property for their use, they feel they don't need your money, and don't want to bother trying to sell it to another.

Attaining ownership comes down to just simple economics, supply and demand.  I understand that a price for the PC version is high.  Amazon has used ones starting at over $55.  I remember a few years ago when the platinum edition sold for like $20 at Costco, but that's they way it works.  Limited supply (discontinued publishing) and an obvious demand for the product creates its current price in the market.

The only time a product becomes "abandonware" is when the owner to the property releases it to the public.  Sad Jari made a fine example with the release of older GTA games.  Electronic Arts has also released old versions of their sports games.  I remember a release for NHL '97 a year or two ago.

So I would have to say

*If they stoped making and selling the PC ver of the game in stores
*they stoped suportin the game and releasing any patch the fix the bugs that pop up

then I think it can and should be called abandonware

Once a game developer releases its product, it does not have to patch the product.  They do this to save face and to keep the consumer happy.  Your idea of a never ending patching process for every game, and if stopped therefore dubbed abandonware, is ludacris.

What does Microsoft support for their operating system and an Eidos Interactive game have to do with anything?

The game was not made for windows 95, but it is supported by it.  The American release date for the PC version was May 31, 1998.  The game is supported by Windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000.

Sorry, there is no way you can make an argument that justifies piracy.

EDIT:
I'll get back on topic.  I don't think you could make a pack using the psx videos.  There is no way to prove the one downloading it owns both the psx and pc version of the game.  Someone could just make a really detailed tutorial, if it's really needed.  The fact that this works is great news anyways.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #60 on: 2005-11-30 19:26:39 »
I also got some EA re release about a year ago, for not too much more then I bought the original released by Eidos many light years ago.
I hate to say it, but the guys here who release all these patches and edits and also the guys not supporting piracy is unintentionally inflating the price of the game and could possibly be creating money for Eidos/EA/Square from any retail copies that are still around.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #61 on: 2005-11-30 19:44:58 »
I do agree that the patches and edits made to the game add great value to the game.  If the price is being inflated, then that is just the market at work.  To support piracy is to support something illegal.

The Skillster

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #62 on: 2005-11-30 21:59:50 »
Sorry, I am not Condoning Piracy.
I am against Piracy, and personally have stopped wasting valuble time downloading PC games/apps (although I hate sony and I differ about ps2 games/apps).

A quality game like FF7 should always be purchased and pirate copies should never even be given such a large look at, I was personally very disgusted when this ultima/ultimate edition and I do remember seeing on sites like sharereactor were always full of people asking for FF7 or releasing it.

No matter what platform I always believe in buying quality games.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #63 on: 2005-12-01 12:23:48 »
Whoops!  I hope my last post didn't sound too much like I was law enforcement or something.  :D   And I am also not the biggest fan of Sony right now, especially after that whole big brother "anti-piracy" initiative.  That's great, help your paying consumers be more prone to viruses.  Smart marketing! :D

Sorry, I'll get back on topic.  I already have done the registry hack and my movies run a lot smoother.  Now I wanted to try to enhance the movies.  I've used VirtualDub in the past and I'll try those downloads that people have requested to make it work.  Just wondering if anyone else has tried a different codec lately or filter.  Maybe show some screenshots of your labor.

One more technical question.  The SaiNt has mentioned possibly adding 32bit support to his HI-Res patch if time permits.  If this is added to the game, will it also make the movies 32bit?  If he could change the game resolution, is it also possible to change the movie resolution?  Sorry, I'm not too familiar with this game engine.  I just know that it uses pixel doubling for the movie display, so I wasn't sure if it were possible to disable the doubling and set a new movie resolution size.  I'm guessing this is not probable.  If this was, I'm sure someone would have redone all of the 2D backgrounds in the game by now.

The Skillster

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #64 on: 2005-12-01 16:26:51 »
The 32bit in the Hi Res patch has already been replied to by The SaiNT and he said it would mean rewriting every bit of code which he has patched, so it was on his 'things to do in my next life' list - if you see what I mean.

Sony's rootkit issue is something just waiting to happen to the music industry.
It is so hungry for money they do not deserve just to please shareholders and directors, it is up to the consumers to put their money where their mouth is and not buy in the first place.

Piracy existed in the days when you would record to tape a song from the radio, and of course exists today.
The only way to discourage piracy is to counter it with innovative and value added content delivery systems.

I dont go and buy a fake/low grade graphics card that claims to be a Geforce 7800GTX and says "made in china" on it do I?

People go buy genuine when it is quality and value for money they are getting.

I for one would love to see a video wrapper/hack or a beginners guide to replacing the videos in FF7 - PLEASE :)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #65 on: 2005-12-02 12:15:36 »
I completely agree with your standpoint on Sony.  Like they say, "Show them how you feel with your wallet."  If you don't like what they are doing, boycott sony, epic, bmg, and any other affiliates I'm forgetting.  There are now even more online venues where people do nothing but b*tch about Sony.  If that is anyone's hobby, there not hard to find. :D

That wrapper idea for the videos sounds great.  Just look at the great improvement ff7music got.  Just imagine, get a couple of skilled modelers together and go to work with 3ds max or maya, and there you go.  I have only scratched the surface with 3ds max, but I'm sure there are people here more than capable of such a project.

The only trouble I see is getting the ff7music and the fmv wrapper patch to work nice together.

Wintermute

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #66 on: 2005-12-02 14:24:48 »
Quote from: The Skillster
I for one would love to see a video wrapper/hack or a beginners guide to replacing the videos in FF7 - PLEASE :)
I don't think, this would be that easy:
I am only guessing, but I think that for the internal engine the movies are in fact nothing more than another animated background layer. Since the whole background with all its layers is prepocessed and then just pixeldoubled to 640x480, you would have to rewrite the whole engine just to improve the movies as well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the tutorial, maybe I'll do it, when I have enough time, which would not be the case in the near future.

I used PSMPlay to extract the movies and XVID as Video-Codec.
I didn't choose PSXMC, because some movies, which are actually longer, than they are played in the game (e.g. the opening movie), tend to pause at the end, when I extracted them with PSXMC.

You only have to take special care of three movies: OPENINGE, ENDING2, ENDING3.

The PSX-versions of ENDING2 & ENDING3 are acutally in a half-letterboxed 640x192 format, which the PC version can't play, so I resized them using some filters in VirtualDub to full-letterboxed 320x224 like the PC-originals.

Furthermore, as some people already mentioned, ENDING2 and OPENINGE don't include music on the PSX, only soundeffects.
You can either choose to use the low quality sound from the PC movies instead or remix the PSX track with the original soundtrack (like I did).
It is a little bit tricky to cut and insert the music at the correct position, but the results are far better than the PC track.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #67 on: 2005-12-02 14:38:39 »
Thanks for the PSMPlay tip!  I was having trouble with PSXMC, so I'll give that a try later on my home pc.  And kudos to you if you make a tutorial for the movie enhancement.  Great idea to remix the PSX with the OST.  I'll take a look at the movies I've already done and see if maybe some new music could be put in its place.

YUffie

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #68 on: 2005-12-03 14:39:08 »
yay i found a site where you can download all the movies from the ps1 game YAY!

StarkRaven

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #69 on: 2005-12-04 07:30:35 »
Heh, I can't believe this thread is still alive. I've barely visited the site since I started the thread half a year ago. I love this site.

For those people who don't own the psx version, I've had good luck filtering the PC video in VirtualDub to eliminate jagged edges and compression artifacts.

Two filters have been particularly helpful. I don't think either one comes with virtual dub, but a google seach should find them.

*WarpSharpen by Avery Lee.
*FFDShow for Virtual Dub

I'm still playing around to find the right settings but things look nicer.

celestria

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #70 on: 2005-12-16 07:40:38 »
show us some pics lol

Salk

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #71 on: 2006-03-28 04:49:00 »
Can you guys confirm that the PSX version is missing some of the movies that are in the PC version ?

Some names...fship2.avi, lastmap,avi, last4_2.avi, last4_3.avi, white2.avi, explode.avi, sqlogo.avi and some more...

Thanks!

Salk

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #72 on: 2006-03-28 05:21:07 »
wintermute,

I have resized with Virtualdub the ending2.avi and now the file (uncompressed) is 300 Mbs bigger than it was before.

Using the Resize filter, I also added Bilinear filtering since it improves the quality and the file size doesn't change at the end. Do you think there would be problems in the game because of it ?

Thanks

Salk

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #73 on: 2006-03-28 05:51:47 »
UPDATE: I noticed that two files called monitor.avi and gold6.avi have different sizes in CD1 and CD2/CD2.

Did you guys also notice that ? Do you think it's a postproduction mistake when they had to select which avi files fit into the CDs or...?

Wuz

• View Profile
ff7 movie enhancement?
« Reply #74 on: 2006-03-28 06:22:26 »
IMHO if you're replacing pc avi files with your psx ones converted from str you're wasting your time.
I dumped the psx files to mpeg from my psx discs and compared with the avi's from my pc version, they are identical.
The only reasons the pc version videos look worse is because of stretching (which you can't avoid)
and if you use new ffdshow codecs it will decode them instead of the true motion codec, this results in the colours being overbright and more pixelated than they already are.

to disable the ffdshow decoding open up the ffdshow decoder options (for me this is accessible in the k-lite codec pack folder in the programs folder in the start menu:

Wuz.