Author Topic: Editing the dialogue for FF8 PC  (Read 3898 times)

Keyes

Editing the dialogue for FF8 PC
« on: 2005-07-04 17:54:29 »
I have tried every program I could encounter. I've tried Moomba to edit the dialogue, and used a pre-ready pack of data. No way of compressing them back to the state they need to be in.

I have tried a program that extracts the files from the .fi archive, but you can't create a .fi archive!

Can any one tell me how you do this. It has been driving me nuts for the past hour.

Colly

• View Profile
    • Final Fantasy VIII PL
Editing the dialogue for FF8 PC
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-04 19:28:39 »
Hi!

I'm a co-ordinator of FF8PL Project (translating to polish). If I understand, that you can't compile .msd files back into the game, right?

1. You must have Qhimm's program - Garden.
2. You must decompile game files with this program (this takes some minutes :wink: ).
3. After decompile, you have a .GPR file and folder [ff8].
4. Pre-ready pack for Moomba has folder structure like [ff8] folder from Garden, but in this pack you have only .MSD files (dialogues). You can switch all .MSD files from Moomba to this [ff8] from Garden.
5. Look on your .GPR file. If it has 1209 KB, it's bad. Proper .GPR file must have 1409 KB. I have this file :) :
Here it is properly .GPR file and FF8AC program by M4v3R.
Bad GPR file (1209 KB) you have to replace by good GPR file from this link above (1409 KB).
6. Create a backup of [Data] folder in FF8 game folder.
6. In Garden, open proper GPR file, click [Compile], and select only field files (in 'Main Data Files"). In 'Field Data Archives' don't move anything.
7. And you can play :D

8. If game crashes, check [field.fs] file in [Data] folder. If If it has 0 KB, you have to copy original file from backup and try again. This point happens very rarely, but occasionally happens :wink: .

PS. FF8AC program can compile to the game files from menu, world, battle, etc.

PS2. This surely works. You have some screens [34, 35 and 36 are newest from field] here.

N4ndø

• View Profile
Re: Editing the dialogue for FF8 PC
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-14 00:53:27 »
Yo man, I was looking for the translation programs for FFVIII PC but only here I've found some. I want to translate FFVIII t portuguese, so I need help using the tools. I've already download cosmo, ff8acandgpr, jenova, sapphire and translhextion. I don't know how type of file is a text file in the game files. Please, anyone who knows how the process works, help me out!

Peace!

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-14 06:55:39 »
Cosmo, jenova and sapphire are for FF7.

N4ndø

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-15 18:18:56 »
Cosmo, jenova and sapphire are for FF7.
That's it! I've noticed that the programs you said above are for FF7, so i want to know what program do the same thing for FF8.