Author Topic: FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project  (Read 53947 times)

Elentor

• View Profile
FF7 - Hardcore Mode Project
« on: 2005-07-15 01:25:29 »
Hi there again.
Well, this is the second of three projects I'm carrying (yea I have that free time.. hehe). The idea is to make a "Hard mode" of FF7. Why? Well, this is something me and my friends wanted for a long time, because we too share the common complaint that FF7 is too easy.

Last Update: 23/07/2005 - Current Version: 0.1.3.2
DOWNLOAD BY CLICKING HERE.

Total Enemies Changed: 83

History
---------------------------------------------------
Version 0.1.3.2 - 23/07/2005
> Fixed a bug where Zemzelett's Status won't change
> Fixed a bug where some Capparwire's status wouldn't change
> Balanced gameplay issues on Junon Area
> Increased Challenge rate of Heli Gunner
> Increased Challenge rate of Bottomswell
> Increased Challenge rate of Jenova BIRTH.

Version 0.1.3.1 - 21/07/2005
> Increased Challenge rate of Devil Rider
> Increased Challenge rate of Kalm Fang
> Increased Challenge rate of Levrykon
> Increased Challenge rate of Crawler
> Increased Challenge rate of Castanet
> Increased Challenge rate of Madouge
> Increased Challenge rate of Ark Dragon
> Increased Challenge rate of Mu

Version 0.1.3.0 - 19/07/2005
> Added 32 new enemies. The game is changed until Jenova*BIRTH.

Version 0.1.2.3 - 18/07/2005
> Increased Challenge rate of Motor Ball.

Version 0.1.2.2 - 17/07/2005
> Fixed lots of Gameplay issues in Shinra Headquarters.

Version 0.1.2.1 - 17/07/2005
> Made changes on some monster's HP values.
> Fixed a bug on Eligor's HP
> Fixed a battle where Might Grunt's status' wouldn't change.
> Fixed a battle where SwordDance's status'wouldn't change.

Version 0.1.2.0 - 16/07/2005
> Added 21 enemies. Now the whole Midgar City is complete.

Version 0.1.1.2 - 15/07/2005
> Fixed a bug where Corneo's Lackeys' HP wouldn't change in the battle.
> Increased challenge rate from Sewers

Version 0.1.1.1 - 15/07/2005
> Fixed a bug where Vice would remain stopped for the whole battle.
> Increased challenge rate from Sector #6 Slums

Version 0.1.1.0 - 14/07/2005
> First version. Changes 30 enemies up to the Train Graveyard.

Warning: Big personal coment about Final Fantasy VII gameplay

My complaint is that: Squaresoft was aiming first-time rpgists. Most of the bosses are, IMO, a joke. Air Buster is, i.e., a boss whose only purpose is being beaten. He takes 5 times the damage from behind, is slow, has low HP, and on top of that he is attacked from both sides. Guard Scorpion attacks twice per eight turns. Aps damages himself more than you do. Alright, these are the first bosses, but as the game progresses, things gets worse. Safer Sephiroth can be beaten with one summon. So does Bizzarro. Et cetera et cetera... but this is my opinion.

Because of this, I've decided to make a Patch, which I call Hardcore Mode. My intention is not just to make the enemies much harder, but to make some aspects of the game make more sense. Some of these aspects are, but not limited to:

1) All Materia Mastered selling for the ridiculous amount of 1 million Gil.
2) A certain Summon being able to obliterate most bosses.
3) Some certain Limits being able to crucify all bosses.
4) Some combos being able to make your party play by itself against what is supposed to be the hardest bosses in the game.
5) One of the two hardest bosses, Ruby Weapon, be able to be defeated by Level 7 Tifa.
6) One of the two hardest bosses, Emerald Weapon, be defeated in one turn by a Counter+Mime Combo.
7) Bosses that, on top of having AIs set up to aid you on battle, have still low attributes.

And what I consider to be, definitely, the two not worst, but surely stupidest gameplay aspects:
8) Common, the first bangle has Defense 8. The second has defense 10. TWO points of Defense? What the hell is the use of two points of defense? That means 0,4% less damage or, in other words, that means absolutely no reduction in damage at all. Not that 8 points (about 1,6%) do much difference against attacks that cause 30 damage. As Alhexx said to me, "they just want you to think that it's going to be better".
9) The absolutely same statement, but this time to weapons. No extra coments necessary.

With that said, I would like to present my Hardcore Mode Project. The main aim of the project is:

1) To make the enemies harder and more challenging.
2) To make the players use a little of strategy.
3) To fix some gameplay issues
4) To reduce the extreme power of some materias.

The project it is in the very beginning. Reunion was Beta-testing the first versions of it to me, and at least him seems to have liked a lot.

So, what are you waiting for? Download the Patch here and start playing right now the Hardcore version. By the time you reach the Train Graveyard I will have (I surely hope so...) released a new version with updates past it!

FAQ:

As for now, which areas are affected?
The affected areas are:
Reactor #1
Winding Tunnel
Lower Plates
Reactor #5
Sector 5 Slums
Wall Market
Sewers
Train Graveyard
The Pillar
Shinra Headquarters
The Escape from Midgar
Midgar Area
Kalm Area
Chocobo Farm Area
Marsh Area and Cave
Junon and Fort Condor Area
Junon
Shinra Boat

But Elentor, how do I install the Patch?

It's simple. First backup your original scene.bin file in your /data/battle/ directory where FF7 is installed, then download my scene.bin and put on it.

Recomendations:

Unnecessary to say, I suggest you to create a new game and play it from the very beginning, since all it is changing right now is the very beginning. I don't know if you're going to find my patch still too easy or way too hard, but in case you find it way too hard (trust me, even I, the creator, died once to Guard Scorpion and was completely obliterated during my first time on the Reactor #5), make saves in multiple locations, specially before entering somewhere you cannot go back (like the train to the Number 5 Reactor. If you do not have enough potions and phoenix downs, you might be doomed).

Leveling up is not necessary. Even though I like to join some battles, Reunion managed to kill Guard Scorpion on level 7, even though he is much harder. Some of you may find necessary, though.

I'm not releasing *yet* the changes I made, as I want you all to play without already knowing what to expect. I hope you guys enjoy the few changes I made yet and please, leave feedback. You're all being my beta-testers. I want to know if you guys enjoyed, have any complaints about single monsters or areas and if you find any bug, drop it here. Only god knows how painful is to edit the same enemy's hex on multiple files, and I may have made some mistakes.

So, what are you waiting for? Click here and experience your wildest dreams.

Credits:

First and foremost, Terence Fergusson (which don't even know who I am) for having compiled a so huge amount of information I made sure to carefully read before putting my hands on this.
L.Spiro for having helped me and sent me all the information he gathered, which without I would never have begin this project.
Reunion for Beta-Testing my humble Patch.
M4V3R not just for doing the original Scene Explorer, but for creating recently the Scene Edit which surely will save me from many headaches.

And last me, for having the patience to be working on it.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-15 02:30:36 »
While you’re at it you should consult Terence Fergusson on how to fix the bug that prevents armor from actually giving you any kind of magic defense.

L. Spiro

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-15 02:45:01 »
Does he knows it?
By the way, how can I consult him? I remember I mailed him once, but never got it returned.. and I don't know if he does have ICQ or MSN...

Thanks

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-15 03:53:57 »
Heh, Terence is a bit difficult to just "consult". Your best bet is to hope he replies to this topic ;)

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-15 04:02:32 »
Post some slightly flawed information when someone asks a question.

He has a radar to detect misinformation from his home planet, and he will rush in to immediately correct you.  â€œ:wink:”

Under your flawed information, leave your note to him.
I am not sure if he will see it though; I don’t know if he is able only to see flawed information in posts or if he will see the whole post itself.

“:P”

But the bug fix is going to require an actual patch.
The problem is it changes per version.
The good news would be, however, that you could probably just patch the Chocobo Patch and call it good, since it is the most commonly used.

Or you could write an all-in-one-der patch that literally seeks the code that needs to be changed, regardless of where it is in the .exe (this is best, and will work).

Hmmm.
I’m a bit busy myself, but I would imagine Terence Fergusson would say the same.
If he does, I can make the patch, but it will have to wait a while; I have my own projects consuming my time.

L. Spiro

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-15 05:14:35 »
Actually, Safer Sephiroth gets a lot harder if your characters are level 99, and you used Kotr on Jenova Synthasis.  It takes about 5 casting of kotr at max damage to kill him that way (or two and everyone using multi-hit limits), so he's not ALWAYS easy =P

How can a level 7 tifa defeat Ruby, btw?  I've never actually beaten him (For some reason, Hades stopped stoping him and his tenticals drained all my MP, turned me into a frog, then something did 8000 points of damage, and i died =( )

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-15 08:21:21 »
Elentor - what tool do you use to edit those stats, If I can ask ?
Long time ago I've tried to make editor for scene.bin, but unfortunetly because of lack of time I had to cancel this project. Did you write some program for it or just you sit with Hex Editor changing specific values? ;)

Edit: I wrote a program to edit these files, please refer to my other thread on this forum if you want to use it. Hope it'll help :).

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-07-15 15:18:00 »
M4v3r: I used UltraEdit. And yea, I was manually Hex-Editing the monsters. Or was... with your new program things will get much easier. Well, at least if other projects like this arise, I will have the pleasure to claim mine was the first ;D

EmperorSteele: He gets 400.000 HP, which is still cheap, if you consider the game mechanics. Long ago, long before I knew about the Ungarmax/Hero Drinks things, I had a 4xCut and Counter+Mime Combo which, while not causing that devastating damage, was still enough to kill him in two counters.
If you want to know how can a level 7 Tifa defeat Ruby, go check gamefaqs. Someone crazy enough wrote everything there.

L.Spiro: Okay.. let me test.

>>> Terence Fergusson, please read below this line<<<
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey people, I just discovered that the formula of physical damage is Atk^3 /320 + 10.
Can someone*coughcoughterencefergussoncoughcough* correct me if I'm wrong?

Thanks ;)

Leiw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-07-16 09:23:27 »
That is something I have been waiting for since beating the game on ps1 for the fifth time

good luck on this -.-

Marc

• I hear Voices ... in my head
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-07-16 14:49:44 »
I'm certainly looking forward to this  This would give the game a whole lot more replay value.  Along with Reunion's and Saint's patches, this is starting to feel like a whole new game!

If you ever need help with something that can be done using a simple tool such as using M4v3er's scene edit, just PM me and I'll do my best to help out.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-07-16 17:17:09 »
Leiw: Thanks

Marcis: Yea, I'm trying to bring new reasons to play FF7 :D

By the way, just updated to 0.1.2.0. I added 21 new enemies, and now the whole Midgar is complete.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-07-17 06:04:37 »
I gave the #1 reactor a go today.

After the first battle I was wondering if the patch was really on or not.  But after 2 or 3 I noticed a big chunk of my health was gone contrarily to normal.  And from there things got really hairy.  I had to run away from 2 or 3 enemies to make it back after Guard Scorpion.

All I can say is great job.  I find it's a perfect balance between being hard but not being too frustrating.  Nice going.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-07-17 15:25:18 »
Marcis: Thanks, I'm doing my best. Please, I would like you to leave your feedback if you play any further.

I just updated it to version 0.1.2.1. Lots of bugs fixed on the Shinra Headquartes. I might update it to 0.1.2.2 or 0.1.3.0 today.

Cheers!

Edit: Like I said, version 0.1.2.2 released, it is a rather important revision of the headquarters.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2005-07-18 02:38:04 »
Some more feedback coming your way!

I played through the game up to the point where I'm supposed to clim the sector 7 plate with version 0.1.2.1.  AeroBuster was a bitch until I started using limit breaks in a smart way against him.  That battle was perfect, forced me to use some strategy instead of only one limit break in the back as usual.  However the sewer + train graveyard part didn't seem to be as hard as the rest of the game so far even though I almost died to Corneo's pet (one more wave and I was done for).

I'll probably have some time in a few days to finish Midgar.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-07-18 22:25:19 »
Thanks for your feedback!
I will check that train graveyard section in a later revision.
Unfortunately my time was very short today (studying law at morning, then some time with my girlfriend, then dentist and now I have to work for a 3d contest), but at least I*myself* had the time to finish Midgar and make the last adjustments on MotorBall.

If I finish my job quickly today, then I may be working again on the patch.
For now I hope you guys enjoy and the new topic I'm opening here on the forum.

Cheers

Edit: Added 32 new enemies, up to Jenova*BIRTH on the Shinra Boat on this new version 0.1.3
Hope you guys enjoy

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-07-20 06:17:27 »
"-just edited this post because it was long and stupid, just ignor"

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-07-21 03:09:34 »
by the way is it possible to remove items from chest.. because one thing that needs to be done is to get rid of vince's pistols, the one's you find before you even have him in your party (the little town near midgar i think it's in)

I think you can also find a few of cid's spears too early as well. Just asking because i noticed you removed some bracelets and a sword which you can normally steal and replaced them with potions.

also if you want any help with this mod i would be glad to help during my spare time off uni - which happens to be alot of it. I'm a newbie programmer with C++,VB & DX9. i have completed a year long course in games programming before i started at uni but am starting to get very rusty at it from sitting around doing nothing

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 2005-07-21 04:17:09 »
Smithie: Not that I know :(

Currently I won't need any help, and probably won't... these projects are for personal satisfaction. If *I* can't do it by myself, which is the point (I feel pleasure doing it), then it's kinda worthless to me, if you understand what I mean...

smithie, btw, do you know of CGFX or shader programming?

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005-07-21 07:15:14 »
Hm... I've never thinked about editing items that you can get in field. But I think it's very possible. However you would have to patch files in flevel.lgp to do that. It's somewhere in field script section and IIRC Qhimm has a document with all the opcodes explained.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-07-21 17:03:28 »
And flevel is quite heavy
Is there any way to compile a program to auto-unpack flevel, install the "new" files and repack it, sort as a patch installer?

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: 2005-07-21 17:59:30 »
That's what the patch functionality in LGP Tools was meant to do. The only problem was that it didn't work quite so well as it should have...

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-07-21 18:52:42 »
ficedula: I was talking about a more "final-user" method, like clicking twice on the "install.exe" and then just clicking next. By the end a backup copy would be made, of course.

I just would like to announce version 0.1.3.1 which modifies a lot of enemies on the last patch.
On a side note there is a big bug happening right now, which I hope none of you will notice (it's nothing harmful). I will try to fix it as soon as possible.

The link is the same. You can download by the first post.
Cheers

ficedula

• View Profile
    • http://www.ficedula.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: 2005-07-21 18:59:23 »
Well, that was the intention - while you could apply patches using LGP Tools, you could also build a self-installing exe patch, too. I don't know how well it works in the current version because it's not really been tested in quite a while.

Elentor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-07-21 19:05:28 »
Oh really? My mistake here, sorry. Since I've been working heavily on scene.bin, I quite forgot about how the LGP Tools worked.
 :oops:

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 2005-07-22 05:28:16 »
I know what you mean .. i was just offering to help because i didnt want to see the mod turn out only half complete.

Also as a suggestion for the mod, if you havent already done it you should make midgar zolem("big snake thing") a boss for level 80+ characters, no one ever bothers to go fight this thing until disc three and by then it's too easy. Make it as difficult as the weapons.

As for shading, i know a little. but ff doesnt / shouldnt use a shader as it has no lighting. Are you asking from a modleing perspective or programming?? generally in programming you just tell it which shader to use unless you want to be fancy & make up special fx like in ATI's control panel

-----

im going to look into the changeing the locations of the weapons. I hate the fact that half the weapons you never see in the battles because you recieve them too late in the game or too early. It shouldn't (i hope) be too much harder then modify the monsters althought after looking at the size of the level file (120meg+) it might take along time. And a patching method would be needed.

MOD EDIT: Don't double-post.