Author Topic: Gears Online, anyone ?  (Read 3624 times)

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Gears Online, anyone ?
« on: 2005-07-18 19:26:03 »
I just thought about something. Halkun did a very great job with the Gears project, unfortunately it's quite hard to get the latest version of this document lately. And it gets updated very rarely, which I can understand because one man can't handle everything. So I thought that we could make something like Gears, but as a website, where everyone can add something. It would take some work on the beginning, but later website will grow by itself.
Good engine that we could use is MediaWiki, engine of Wikipedia and many more projects like this. I have experience in making dynamic content websites, so I can handle the technical stuff. But I want to know if you guys find this idea useful AND will you be helping me by posting information there.

So... what do you think ?

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-18 20:16:10 »
Generally, that's not a bad idea.
But: Do you want to make an FF7-only or a general file hacking site?

Case 1: FF7 only
The problem is that we do not make progress that fast that we would need a site like this. The site would be updated once per few weeks...

Case 2: General
Remember that file hacking is illegal. If you create a site like this, it's going to be shut down pretty fast (once it becomes popular).

As I said, the idea is nice, of course. But I don't think that we need it...
Gears is just a summary of several file format docs.

- Alhexx

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-18 20:28:32 »
Not only FF7 and not general file hacking. Only FF/Square related. That means FF7, FF8 and others.
I think if somebody would want to shut down file hacking sites, then Qhimm's Site would be gone years ago :P.

And one more thing - it has not to be updated daily, but a good repository that contain lot of knowledge would be very useful to many people.

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-19 03:48:01 »
A closed or limited wiki is preferable, where only a select few users can add or update articles. To make it an efficient repository of knowledge, there must be clear guidelines regarding the structure of content, and naming conventions (thus having fewer people working on it helps).

Don't spend too much thought on this though; people have already been working behind the scenes on this idea (nothing public yet though), so you would be duplicating the work.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-19 09:16:20 »
Of course guidelines are nessesary to keep everything clean and easy to read. I'll try to show you what I have in mind if I succeed.

I didn't know that someone came up with this idea too, do you know if they're making any progress by now ?

Qhimm

• Founder
    • View Profile
    • Qhimm.com
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-19 10:31:15 »
Well, it depends on how you define progress.

mav

• The Sauce team
    • View Profile
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-19 11:59:45 »
Wow, that's great! That's exactly what I meant. Could you create account for me ? I'd like to insert there as many information as I can.

Edit: Thanks for creating account. I've created Battle Module Section and I'm working on everything related to Battle Scenes.

kini

• View Profile
    • open source web
Gears Online, anyone ?
« Reply #7 on: 2005-09-02 20:55:46 »
wow thats soo cool El Qhimm, gotta love this forum, the save map is especialy cool, what will be the chances of getting a single program that does everything from edit save states to chage field graphics?