Author Topic: Help with Patch 1.02 or Windows XP Patch.  (Read 4409 times)

cmay119

• View Profile
Help with Patch 1.02 or Windows XP Patch.
« on: 2005-07-30 08:19:24 »
Hi all, I'm having trouble getting this game to run correctly with D3D Hardware rendering. If I just use the 1.02 Patch, the rendering is just fine, but the game will crash right as the first battle with the 2 guards is about to take place. So I then install the Windows XP patch, and no more crash. But, right as Cloud jumps off the train all the backround images and everything besides the sprites of the guards and barret disapeer.

Any help would be appreciated guys. I'm running a 6800GT video card, and since I've seen some of the screen shots of the Hi-Res version on a 6600GT I'm assuming I can get this game to Hardware render with my video card.

Right now I'm only using the windows XP patch, and having the game software render. (All movies transfered to harddrive) I've tried different video card drivers, set color quality to 16-bit and set the compatibility to windows 98 after having set to windows xp.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I just read that the 71.84 nVidia drivers seem to work well with this game and a 6600GT so I'm going to give those a try and see if that alliviates the problem. I'll report back soon.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately, the problem still persists with the 71.84 Drivers.
Thanks for any help/info you can provide:)

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 2005-07-30 08:43:33 »
Yeah, if you use the 1.02 pach (both teh config and the exe) and apply the chocobo patch, along with that driver set, everythign should be great.  Ina ddition, the high res patch will help things look nicer =)

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-07-30 09:01:18 »
Ok, Emperorsteele, I'm patching the game now, I'll report back momentarilly to tell you how it wen't.

Update: Ok, we're definately on the right track here, as I'm now getting the backround textures and the game isn't crashing when going into battle. But the backround textures are still not rendering right, along with the game text.

Are there any settings in the drivers tab that I should be using? I've tried both no AA and 4x AA which did nothing for the poor rendering. Once again, Thank you for your assistance. :)

EDIT 2:

Here's a picture to show you what I mean by the picture not rendering correctly:

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/8571/ffviiscreenshot1up.jpg

eraclea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-07-30 14:53:10 »
I can assure you, no FSAA nore AA will work in FF7 with any 6800 (GT, Ultra)... Make shure both are turned off, not only AA, runs fine for me...

The picture looks like FSAA is active ;)

However not even the Rivatuner workaround for FSAA on GF cards works flawlessly with the 6800 series...

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-07-30 18:31:23 »
Do you know a different way to disable FSAA besides through the nVidia Forceware drivers? I turned it to both "Application Controlled" and when that didn't work, I just manually set it to off. Both, did not fix the problem. Thanks for any help.

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-07-30 19:11:02 »
I'm very sorry about the double post, but I just want to thank you guys for the help. I'm now running my game with D3D Hardware rendering with a 6800GT. For those who are having similar problems, download Rivatuner, and force Anti-Aliasing to off, and then disable 8-Bit Textures. Also use drivers 71.84, set Anisotropic (sp?) Filtering to 16x and set Image settings to High Quality. (Also make sure AA is off or application controlled in the drivers settings.)

Then set the compatibility mode to Windows 98/Me. Then select D3D Hardware acceleration in the FF7 configuration and set it to TNT. That should be it. Once again guys thanks. :)

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-07-30 19:59:32 »
Any ideas if theres a way to do it with an X800XT PE?

cmay119

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-01 06:29:50 »
Hi James, are you getting the exact same looking picture as the screenshot I have posted above? I'm pretty sure Rivatuner works for ATi cards as well, so I would still use the same directions as stated above.

The SaiNt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-01 07:47:36 »
Quote from: cmay119
I'm very sorry about the double post, but I just want to thank you guys for the help. I'm now running my game with D3D Hardware rendering with a 6800GT. For those who are having similar problems, download Rivatuner, and force Anti-Aliasing to off, and then disable 8-Bit Textures. Also use drivers 71.84, set Anisotropic (sp?) Filtering to 16x and set Image settings to High Quality. (Also make sure AA is off or application controlled in the drivers settings.)

Then set the compatibility mode to Windows 98/Me. Then select D3D Hardware acceleration in the FF7 configuration and set it to TNT. That should be it. Once again guys thanks. :)

Actually all you needed to do was just open up FF7Config and select NVidia TNT eventhough it says that you passed the 8-bit palleted Textures test.
Then it should work fine.
FFVII relies on the NVidia Mode to fix the texel locations.
If you apply my patch, FSAA should work fine as well. The reason why it didn't work the first time round you patched the file was because my FSAA fix relies on the fact that you have the Nvidia TNT option selected.

Quote from: eraclea
I can assure you, no FSAA nore AA will work in FF7 with any 6800 (GT, Ultra)... Make shure both are turned off, not only AA, runs fine for me...

The picture looks like FSAA is active

However not even the Rivatuner workaround for FSAA on GF cards works flawlessly with the 6800 series...

Should be fixed in my patch if you follow the instructions above.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-01 12:16:25 »
Yeah, that same happens in FFVIII aswell ;_;

But thanks, ill give it a go :D