Author Topic: Motor bike race  (Read 11174 times)

amadeus06

Motor bike race
« on: 2005-08-10 16:43:14 »
Hmm i dunno what to do, i have all the patches i tried running it in many different ways and so far i havent had any problems. Everything is going A-ok. but once im trying to escape the shinra and i enter the motorcycle bike chase my game crashes. It accually last for a good 10 secs before it compleatly crashes.

Also when im moving around in my bike i seem to be going to fast like if the game was being accelarated. but i dunt know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Mod Edit: Moved to Game Tweaking

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #1 on: 2005-08-10 18:46:01 »
I reached this point of the game, and had actually run into the same problem. It went insanely fast but I somehow managed to make it through to the boss.

An error message I did not get though. What did it say?

jamesyfx

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #2 on: 2005-08-10 19:16:39 »
I've just got to the bike race part too, which gave the same results as Veclord.

It went through very quickly, so all my characters were pretty much wasted by the time the boss appeared.

No crash either.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #3 on: 2005-08-10 19:54:12 »
As for the speed problem:

Turn on VSynch =)  To do this, go to your desktop,, right-click, hit "properties".  Go to "settings".  Hit "Advanced".  Look around for your video cards software tab and under "performance settings" look for "Vsynch" or "Wait for vertical synch" and turn that ON.  Then click the "monitor" tab and set teh refresh rate to 60htz if at all possible

Note that, in normal Windows, 60htz will hurt your eyes after a while, so make sure to revert it back to 75 or 80 or whatever the default is.

As fort he crash, hmm, you do hae a full, LEGAL copy, dont you?  Pirated versions tend to have crashes liket hsi, and there isn't anything we can do to help.

amadeus06

Motor bike race
« Reply #4 on: 2005-08-10 21:46:21 »
It is a legal copy i just spend 62 bunks on it on ebay.

I still cant fix the problem. I've done the scene several times and i just cant do it. It never crashes at the same moment, on one of my attempts i was able to play for about 30 secs before i got this message.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/amadeusaau/d2675732.jpg

I know its the usual for most programs... PLZ HELP I WANNA FINISH THE GAME B4 ADVENT COMES OUT

jamesyfx

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #5 on: 2005-08-10 21:51:44 »
So you've already tried it in software mode.?

That fixed all my weird problems..

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #6 on: 2005-08-10 21:55:53 »
I can't guarantee it, and I don't know if you've tried it but you could attempt to run the game in compatibility mode.

Navigate to your FF7 directory and right click on "ff7" (the file with the blue comet). Click properties. A window will pop up and you should see 3 tabs. General, Compatibility, and Summary. Click the compatibility tab. Under that, you'll see a checkbox that says "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". Check this box, then select Windows 98/ME from the dropdown box. Click apply, then try it out again. Like I said it's a long shot, but worth a try.

It's sort of an irrelevant note but I did find out that the speed issue also happens during the chocobo races.

Anyway you should also make sure you've updated your game to 1.02. If you haven't, now is a good time to do it. Check out my tutorial, and the compilation listing in this category of the board to get the link.

Noobie

Motor bike race
« Reply #7 on: 2005-08-10 22:01:12 »
Quote from: amadeus06
It is a legal copy i just spend 62 bunks on it on ebay.

I still cant fix the problem. I've done the scene several times and i just cant do it. It never crashes at the same moment, on one of my attempts i was able to play for about 30 secs before i got this message.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/amadeusaau/d2675732.jpg

I know its the usual for most programs... PLZ HELP I WANNA FINISH THE GAME B4 ADVENT COMES OUT

Maybe you can find an old set of savegames for FF7 which are taken at various point in the game, so you can skip ahead a little or ask someone here for a save-game after the part where it crashes.

P.S. FF7: Advent Children Limited Edition comes with a special International Edition of FF7 for PSX/PS2.

amadeus06

Motor bike race
« Reply #8 on: 2005-08-10 22:12:59 »
First, I cant seem to use software mode either, my PC restarts when ever i attemp to play in it.

Second, I have been playing in 98/me through out the game, i did this to fix a past problem.

Third, hmm maybe somebody can play my saved game across this, fight the boss and save then return my save file back.
http://us.f2.yahoofs.com/bc/3fff64e1_140b2/bc/My+Documents/save.ff7?BCd.n.CBaQ7DRUA_
If anybody can do that for me i really apreciate it

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #9 on: 2005-08-10 22:33:09 »
I'm in the game right now so I wouldn't mind. I can't access your link though. You could try emailing it to me: [email protected]

amadeus06

Motor bike race
« Reply #10 on: 2005-08-10 22:36:05 »
kk i sent it

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #11 on: 2005-08-10 23:05:40 »
Done. If you get to another part with the same crap just let me know and I'll do the same thing again.

I also didn't remember how you had your materia set up, so I just set it up to beat the boss then took it off on everyone before I saved so you could change it back to how you had it.

Barret learned Mindblow after I beat Motor Ball.  :o

By the way Emporer, the Vsync trick didn't work for me. It blasted through the mini game just like it did on my file.

amadeus06

Motor bike race
« Reply #12 on: 2005-08-10 23:30:06 »
alright thx a lot.

While u where playing my file, i uninstalled all my FFVII files and installed it back up with only the 1.02 patch. I got through the race but when i reeched the boss my game froze, so i installed the movie patch and tried again, finally it worked and i got through the fight and everything.

Then i got ur email.... so yeah thx for the help, even tho i figured it out myself in the end.

It seems like the choco patch was the culprint in this scenario. perhaps ill try installing the chocopatch and see if it crashes again.

Yeah if i come into more trouble ill be sure to email you, u've been plenty help.

jamesyfx

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #13 on: 2005-08-10 23:35:20 »
As far as I know the 1.02 patch contains the chocobo patch anyway, so that might've been what was messing it up.

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #14 on: 2005-08-10 23:52:42 »
I'm not too sure. In my case I had to install the chocobo patch seperately.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Motor bike race
« Reply #15 on: 2005-08-11 02:55:37 »
Quote from: jamesyfx
As far as I know the 1.02 patch contains the chocobo patch anyway, so that might've been what was messing it up.

This is not true.  You must apply the Chocobo patch after the 1.02 patch.

EmperorSteele

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #16 on: 2005-08-11 03:12:10 »
Quote from: Veclord

By the way Emporer, the Vsync trick didn't work for me. It blasted through the mini game just like it did on my file.

did you set your monitor for 60 hertz?  Cuz otherwise you're looking at 75-85 frames per second.

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #17 on: 2005-08-11 03:31:49 »
I was sure I had it set to 60 hz since I remember changing it back to 85 afterwards.

Why in the hell does it only happen on those two parts though? Wouldn't the entire game typically run quick like that?

-gone away-

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #18 on: 2005-08-11 03:44:24 »

Why in the hell does it only happen on those two parts though? Wouldn't the entire game typically run quick like that?

It what happens when a bad programmer does not use delta time(equal to how long it takes to process one game frame/loop) to times all movement/animations by. The mini game is programmed seperately to the main game so it only affects it. If delta time was used then it wouldn't make any difference how many fps the game was getting as everything would still go the correct speed.

note: deltatime has many different names it just what ive been taught to call it. deltaTime = clockTime - PrevClockTime

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #19 on: 2005-08-11 04:06:07 »
It's probably a question beyond most of us, but wouldn't there be a way to disassemble ff7.exe and dig through the coding and implement something like this? I'm not a programmer, but I do know that most languages are different in their own way. What language was FF7 written in?

The SaiNt

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #20 on: 2005-08-11 04:15:08 »
It's probably a question beyond most of us, but wouldn't there be a way to disassemble ff7.exe and dig through the coding and implement something like this?

Trust me, that's not you want to do. It's far more work than you can imagine.

Also, I believe the game does run faster at other parts as well, it's just that in an ATB, or a cut-scene it actually has to wait for the user's input, so it's not too obvious.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #21 on: 2005-08-11 04:22:23 »
I dont know much on things like this because im no hacker/cracker/decrypter but i do know that most programs are incrypted to prevent exactly what you are talking about. The guy that used to live next door to me develops app for small businesses and used to do this to prevent the reverse engineering of his apps.

I would say its pretty impossible to do without the source code. With the source code it is a fairly simple thing to do.

--- Doh you beat me to it.. sorry

Veclord

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #22 on: 2005-08-11 05:39:50 »
Well I know it's not completely impossible. This is a relatively old game and I see people upload "no-cd" patches for every game on the market no matter how new or complicated its protection is. Something else that bothers me about it is that, well, think of the guy who created the chocobo patch. He knew the programming enough to know what to change in order to resolve the problem.

I'd like to take the opportunity to learn basic assembly code, and hopefully fix some of the game's smaller problems. I know it sounds so far fetched but I love this game, and I'd leap at the opportunity to learn how it works. That's what I love so much about this board; you are taking the initiative to fix and improve something that Square won't. What Reunion did with the models was something I dreamed of playing this game as a kid. To know that with determination that things like that can be done - It astounds me.

-gone away-

• View Profile
Motor bike race
« Reply #23 on: 2005-08-12 03:55:37 »
The difference in difficulty:

Makeing No CD crack = like riding a bicycle if you know how to do it you can.

Implementing DT after source has been compressed & encryted = is like riding a bycle with broken legs and arms while been blindfolded on a busy highway.

well thats just my opionion.. on the other hand the more i think about it the more i think it could be done. If it is possible to NULL a variable or command like what they did with the chocobo patch then why shouldn't you be able to divide one varible by another, you would need to find the correct varible first. And also im pretty sure the filesize cannot exceed the original as sometimes games check for this.

by the way the im a bit like you, im here to learn more about this sortof stuff so ill be looking into this some more if i get the time.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Motor bike race
« Reply #24 on: 2005-08-12 10:24:26 »
But in the ChochoboPatch (I know it sounds like "omg another $%#^" that tries to be a hacker, and the only thing he did, is reading about "how it has been done") NOP-ing some command actually worked, because it prevented the game from crashing.

When talking about something that SHOULD be done (frame rate control) but wasn't implemented, you have to realize that it would be more difficult to modify. Although modifying the ff7.exe isn't so hard (game doesn't check the size of the file, isn't encrypted or so...) it is really hard to find out how to do it, so the mini-game would work correctly...

And the assembler isn't hard at all, you have to know few opcodes... nothing else... :P

dziugo