Author Topic: Moderators and anonymity  (Read 15790 times)

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« on: 2005-10-01 09:31:38 »
This should go under Site Development but since you apparently have to be a moderator to discuss about it these days... perhaps someone should change the forum description? It's not much of a site development if people can't post new topics there. Oh mighty moderators, feel free to work for your money and move this there. :lol:

Yes... I was the one who suggested that mods should be anonymous. Now I take it back. Because frankly... you new mods - except for mirex - you suck ass and that's the truth. I'm very disappointed with you. There's no way I would suggest giving you the protection of anonymity, if you handle yourself this badly. Grrr.

One of the reasons for me writing this is that nobody else will. Qhimm - well, I don't know what he thinks, he might be very happy with you - wouldn't have the heart to do it, even if he happened to agree with me. Rest of you wouldn't have the balls to do it.

Alhexx, oh Alhexx, where art thou? I did make fun of your comment of "being here" just for this reason. Granted that there haven't been that much to moderate, but you did say that you are here. It doesn't really seem like it.

Caddberry, you know that I have strong antipathy towards you. I tend to do that when people attack me. But this is more than that; you are erratic, you set bad example by spamming, you set bad example by typing or maybe I should say punctuation, and sometimes you come off as being on a power trip.

Nori... you disappointed me most of all. -_- Perhaps because I had such high hopes for you - I did consider suggesting you as a moderator way before June, actually.

Yet you did the one thing no moderator should do. I know that Qhimm doesn't agree with me, but "I leave it in your hands" (IIRC) does not mean "Abuse your power, please". Up to that point I had been the only moderator to abuse my power and I just moved that one topic from the Admin-forum. You used your powers for a personal attack and that should be never done, no matter what the circumstances. If there is a personal problem, you ask a 3rd party, an admin in this case, to deal with it. Or at least argue on a level ground - I never used my powers against Rubicant, for example.

You should be ashamed of yourself, grown woman, acting like a 5 year old. :evil: If I didn't believe so strongly that you can be a really good moderator, I would have raised hell about it long before.

Come on people, shape up! At the current pace I would be a better moderator than you three combined, and that is just sad.

Consider yourself chastised... and get back to work.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-01 13:03:54 »
I notice that I'm not mentioned.  :-P
Truth be told, I am way too busy with other things at the moment to read every post here anymore.  And the Game Tweaking forum is way too busy.  If you (anyone, not just Jari) see a post that you think needs moderator attention, feel free to PM me about it.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-01 14:35:07 »
Quote from: Aaron
I notice that I'm not mentioned.  :-P

Do you feel like a new moderator? :P

Yeah, yeah, I know that you are a new admin. I also think that you are doing a fine job.

You know, you kinda make me proud. I was the person who suggested you as a moderator in the first place. 8) Or did I suggest that you should have more responsibility? Darn, can't remember. Anyway, it was back when I told Qhimm for the first time that I don't want to do it - in private, almost three years ago I think. But no more of that now.

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-01 14:48:31 »
Oh right, I didn't see that word "new" in there.  :-P

mirex

• View Profile
    • http://mirex.mypage.sk
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-01 19:57:46 »
Hehe I'm in the plus ? Well I still think that all this is only matter of opinion. ;) In fact I haven't seen many opportunities to mod.
Although you are right that admin rights should not be abused for personal fights, which I witnessed few times.
And also I think that your argument against Nori is kinda personall too.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-01 20:31:08 »
Jari dishes it out.

Nice to see you back Jari.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-01 21:31:30 »
Quote from: mirex
Hehe I'm in the plus ? Well I still think that all this is only matter of opinion. ;) In fact I haven't seen many opportunities to mod.

Which might be the reason I didn't mention you. :P It's the same with all small forum mods, it's hard to see how they are doing because usually they don't have to do that much. But at least you haven't done anything wrong. :)

Quote from: mirex
And also I think that your argument against Nori is kinda personall too.

Yes and no. Did it hurt me? Great deal. Have I forgiven? Long time ago. She should know that too, if she actually reads PMs from me. Trust me, I don't hold grudges against my friends. Nor will I give up on my friends that easily. Other people... well, that's a different matter.

But no, the reason I mention it here is not personal. In fact this surely doesn't improve my chances of getting her to talk to me again. But someone has to say it. It was out of line and I'm actually more concerned about what it did to her credibility as a moderator. I know what I would do if I was in her shoes, but I won't start giving advice because she surely won't take it from me.

Quote from: James Pond
Nice to see you back Jari.

Thank you. I have to be honest and say that it might not be a long visit. Frankly... it hurts too much.

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-02 04:00:53 »
Quote from: Jari
I have to be honest and say that it might not be a long visit.

Very sad to hear. Always nice to see someone willing to express his opinions, even if I don't agree with them sometimes.

Honestly though, not alot has been going on besides moving help-me threads from General. Maybe I just havent seen anything worthy of criticism, except I have seen that Cadberry thing you mentioned. I wouldn't be so hard on them, not until the next big blowup  :wink:

Something's BOUND to happen to stirr everything up again, its way overdue it seems.

Kinda hard to judge everyone on how well people are doing when there's nothing really major to be done yet  :-?

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-02 06:08:32 »
Quote from: Bunnie-Maru
I wouldn't be so hard on them, not until the next big blowup  :wink:

It would be bit late by then, considering that their presence is supposed to prevent such things.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-03 04:29:11 »
Jari, I have already said that I would leave you alone, not speaking to you, or having anything to do with you.

I would appreciate it if you would do the same for me.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #10 on: 2005-10-03 09:31:59 »
Quote from: Caddberry
Jari, I have already said that I would leave you alone, not speaking to you, or having anything to do with you.

Oh, really?

But more to the point, is criticism of staff verboten here? Because you do hold a certain position here. In fact, you wanted that position. If you want to see criticism addressed to moderator Caddberry as addressed to your person, that is your choice.

That 'wanted' is why I am way more strict than usual with all of you. You are volunteers. You wanted to do this job. Do it, then. If you want to just gloat with your titles, go do it in some other forum.

Caddberry

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #11 on: 2005-10-05 01:21:13 »
Was I speaking to you in those posts? No I wasn't. I was just adding to the discussion, but I specifically said nothing to you. I'll still discuss topics on this forum with all the other members, but as I said before, I'll have no direct interaction with you.

If you want to see criticism addressed to moderator Caddberry as addressed to your person, that is your choice.

Criticism I can take, but I'd rather you not say anything about me publicly. If you have a problem with how I handle things file a complaint with someone else, and they can let me know.

When you write about me publicly on the forum, I feel a need to defend myself. I think anyone would, but my doing so would probably start an argument.. That would go against what I said earlier, just like this post is doing right now.

In fact, you wanted that position.

I told Qhimm I'd take a position to help. I already administrate another forum, but the point was made that extra help was needed. I said something like "I don't know how much I'll be around to help, but if you would like me to be a moderator I will."

So Jari, again I'll say please leave me alone, and any problem with me you have let another moderator know. I'm sure they will inform me.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #12 on: 2005-10-05 05:04:31 »
Was I speaking to you in those posts? No I wasn't.

Did you say speaking? I thought that you said "...having anything to do with you.".

Criticism I can take, but I'd rather you not say anything about me publicly. If you have a problem with how I handle things file a complaint with someone else, and they can let me know.

Oh, it's just public criticism. Sure, I can see the logic of not being allowed to criticise people who hold a public position in public. They are not responsible to that public they serve, or anything...

When you write about me publicly on the forum, I feel a need to defend myself. I think anyone would, but my doing so would probably start an argument.. That would go against what I said earlier, just like this post is doing right now.

Wait a sec, let me get this straight; you are saying that I can't criticise you in public because you fear that you defending yourself would start an argument and you don't want to have "anything to do with me".

Can I use that same argument whenever I want? Because it is really handy - "I don't want to have anything to do with you, so please don't argue my point of view".

I told Qhimm I'd take a position to help. I already administrate another forum, but the point was made that extra help was needed. I said something like "I don't know how much I'll be around to help, but if you would like me to be a moderator I will."

So... you did not want it? That seems highly unlikely, considering that you offered to do it.

If you would bother to read that topic again, you would notice how I already demonstrated that what you meant was "Please give me a title, please please".

Or like you so eloquently put it in that other topic:
It's not about a title for me at all. To prove that I'd take back my other title it wouldnt matter to me.

My point exactly.

But perhaps much more important is this;
Quote from: El Qhimm
If anyone thinks they can make a difference, let me know and I'll make you a moderator. I'm tired of cleaning up this mess, if you people are interested in this place as anything else than a random crap dump then maybe you should start actually working for it.

Personally I think that if a person replies to such post, saying that he wants to moderate he means that he really wants to make a difference. And frankly, that's not happening here.

Caddberry

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #13 on: 2005-10-05 05:46:46 »
Quote from: Sad Jari
Was I speaking to you in those posts? No I wasn't.

Did you say speaking? I thought that you said "...having anything to do with you.".

I'm sorry. I can't help it that we inhabit the same forum. I told you that I wouldn't say anything to you directly. Having anything to do with you means the same thing to me. I told you I'd have nothing to do with you. Just because you create a thread doesn't make it yours. I can have a discussion in any thread with other people while ignoring you.. It's quite simple.. I'd been doing a good job of it.

Oh, it's just public criticism. Sure, I can see the logic of not being allowed to criticise people who hold a public position in public. They are not responsible to that public they serve, or anything...

No.. Just you.. I'd rather you left me alone, just as I'd leave you alone. I'll take public criticism from others. I'd have just liked it if you would have turned in an anonymous request to another mod.. That way we could have kept ignoring the existence of each other, and I'd still like it if you'd do so.

Wait a sec, let me get this straight; you are saying that I can't criticise you in public because you fear that you defending yourself would start an argument and you don't want to have "anything to do with me".

Yes, pretty much Jari.. You can't talk to anyone on this forum you have a problem with without starting an argument. It's not that I didn't want to have anything to do with you.. When I tried to be nice to you you snapped on me.. So whatever.. I said I wouldnt talk to you anymore.

And look at this.. Even my posting a nice little request you tore apart and turned into an argument.

Can I use that same argument whenever I want? Because it is really handy - "I don't want to have anything to do with you, so please don't argue my point of view".

I don't argue your points of view on anything because I don't talk to you on the forum.. The only time I did was now when you personally addressed me.

So... you did not want it? That seems highly unlikely, considering that you offered to do it.

If you would bother to read that topic again, you would notice how I already demonstrated that what you meant was "Please give me a title, please please".

I like Qhimm a lot.. I offered to do what I could to help him. I also don't feel like reading the thread again.

Or like you so eloquently put it in that other topic:
It's not about a title for me at all. To prove that I'd take back my other title it wouldnt matter to me.

My point exactly.

Sure...

But perhaps much more important is this;
Quote from: El Qhimm
If anyone thinks they can make a difference, let me know and I'll make you a moderator. I'm tired of cleaning up this mess, if you people are interested in this place as anything else than a random crap dump then maybe you should start actually working for it.

Personally I think that if a person replies to such post, saying that he wants to moderate he means that he really wants to make a difference. And frankly, that's not happening here.

I wanted to help Qhimm by doing what I could. As far as moderating is concerned there aren't that many problems on this board.

If by moderating you mean tearing into new people when they ask for help then yeah.. That doesn't happen with me.

So look.. I'd really like to go back to the two of us just ignoring each other completely. I was doing it so well.. and so were you.. We had a thing going.. It was like magic..

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #14 on: 2005-10-05 10:26:13 »
And please, for heaven's sake, let that magic return...

I'm really sorry, but I am actually getting very tired of all these threads just popping up about this person not liking that person and so on and so on. I'm well aware of the fact that there is a long history behind it and that there may be a perfectly well explainable reason why you are having an argument...but please, why does it have to be so public. And why does it have to be so very personal and insulting.

I know I might sound stupid and all, but why can't everything just return to "the old days" if I may call 'em that. I mean, I've been around for more than two years now...and I miss the way it was back then. It was just so friendly and all. Nice. No problems, no arguments, no insulting people.

And now this, combined with people who just sign up, make some crappy tread about how to get past this and this point, how to fix this problem, where to buy stuff...sigh...

All of this really makes me very sad, and with me, I think, lot's of other people around here.

Oh, and just for my own safety: I'm not insulting anyone personally. Before you know it, I'll be the one made fun of. Whether ironically or sarcasticly.

Everyone, please. Well that's out.

EW.

Nori

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-10-05 10:28:01 »
Hey members (Good morning),

I'm leaving Qhimm.com :isee:

Why?
1. Very Busy: Clinic Hours + Internship + Labs + Research
2. Graduating (Soon: HH + MD) :love:
3. Applying for Ph.D. Study at HMS

Take care \(^0^)/

Emerald Weapon

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #16 on: 2005-10-05 10:34:57 »
Well, can't say I really got to know you and stuff  :wink:

But still, I'm going to miss you!

Take care and good luck with graduating and all your plans for the future!

Bye!

EW.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #17 on: 2005-10-05 12:25:55 »
Quote from: Nori
I'm leaving Qhimm.com :isee:

*sigh*

In that case, ignore the entire topic, because I'm leaving too. For good, I just hope that the way I pick doesn't hurt very much.

Considering that I spent month without an internet connection to give you time and came back to beg for forgiveness - the forums were just a means for me to get in touch with you - I don't see reason for staying or trying to make forums a better place - not that I could stay if I wanted to. Screw all of that. Do whatever you want with them.

You know, you do have a knack for hurting me, a talent even.

Leaving of course is your own business and for the time I have left I will miss you terribly and wish all the best for you, but it was really nice of you not to forgive me before you go - it would have taken two words, it could have even been a lie to make me feel less bad - and announce all this in your first reply to my topic since the whole thing begun. It makes me feel really doubleplusgood. That and the recover proceedings letter I got this morning.

But screw that, it's all going to hell and they are not going to get my money anymore.

Nori, I beg you to read the PM I will send you. It will have two photos in it, photos I want you to remember me by. Taken way before this; I want you to remember me as the Jari you liked. Please, it shouldn't be too much to ask for.

EDIT: I'm very happy that you chose to go for PhD.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #18 on: 2005-10-05 12:50:13 »
What the hell?
I am not going to read all of this, for God's sake this is just a forum.
Thats what it is, not many people come here as often as say back in 1999 when we all started out (or was it 2000?)
Lets leave the flaming out shall we, the only guys who need flaming are the ones who pollute the forum.
Thank you and goodnite

RPGillespie

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/rpgillespie6
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #19 on: 2005-10-05 15:12:50 »
Wow, you're getting your PhD? Holy crap, I'm still taking high school physics and getting owned by it.

Bunnie-Maru

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #20 on: 2005-10-05 17:17:13 »
Quote from: Jari
It would be bit late by then, considering that their presence is supposed to prevent such things.

Ah, yes, but that would be like making someone anticipating a gunshot out of nowhere. There can be as many proactive measures as can be placed, but a Moderator's real job is more of a reactive measure, for when things happen, atleast in my eyes. A moderator is there when the proactive measures have failed, and either contains or eliminates the source of distress.

And, quite frankly, nothing has really happened lately. I mean, no offense Caddberry, within the first week you did do that kind of plug, but other than that, nothing really MAJOR has been going on to judge the new moderators, its just too early. Even that plug really isnt THAT terrible. Of course it sets a somewhat bad example, but nothing to crusade about.

Though, now THIS is seeming to spiral into the next big attraction.

Sorry for the late response by the way, Im the midsts of moving right now.

Sad Jari

Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #21 on: 2005-10-05 19:23:43 »
Afterthought...

Look Nori, if this thing is actually about me - because the timing sure is convenient enough and lately you have made an art out of avoiding me - just say the word and I'll gladly leave, if it means that you can stay.

I did not mean to hurt you before, and I'm not going to start now. I can easily live without this forum, it's the living without a forgiveness from my friend that I have problems with. :( I could really, really, really use that forgiveness right about now. :weep: EDIT: Please don't hurt me anymore. Please. I'm at my very limit. :(

Besides, I have nothing to lose, if you'll leave, I'll leave too, just like I said. It's not some kind of weird blackmail plan either, it's just that the forum really is not the reason I am here.

SSVegetto

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #22 on: 2005-10-05 20:10:48 »
Quote from: The Skillster
What the hell?
I am not going to read all of this, for God's sake this is just a forum.
Thats what it is, not many people come here as often as say back in 1999 when we all started out (or was it 2000?)
Lets leave the flaming out shall we, the only guys who need flaming are the ones who pollute the forum.
Thank you and goodnite

Yeah good point, why doesnt the moderator close this useless thread or ban Sad Jari. An other forums moderators wouldn't tolerate this crap and close the thread. Sad Jari is causing trouble everywhere including in my thread he is just pissing everyone off.

Relf

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #23 on: 2005-10-05 20:11:58 »
Goodbye Nori, Thanks for all the advice.

Jari, Goodbye for what is hopefully the final time.

SSVegetto

• View Profile
Moderators and anonymity
« Reply #24 on: 2005-10-05 20:20:23 »
Quote from: Relf
Goodbye Nori, Thanks for all the advice.

Jari, Goodbye for what is hopefully the final time.

Oh Sure he is leaving, he said I'm leaving too for good, but then he comes back making another reply.