Author Topic: Final Fantasy VII beating ruby weapon without using KoR  (Read 22109 times)

cc1104

Materia setup: [magic counter-full cure]  [enemy skill (with goblin hammer and big guard)] [4x-cut] [(a 3-star) hade] [mp plusxN] [HP plus xN]
Weapon: Clouds' ultimate weapon
Armor: Mystile (Ruby would miss you half of the time)
Accessory: Ribbon (must have to protect you from any abnormal status)
Limit break: Omnislash (to rip Ruby into 2-piece ^_^)
Items: Hero Drink

Before entering battle you need some preping, first I suggest you to use w-item to max out the number of megaelixir that you hold. Then of course you have to kill 2 other character, because if Ruby use whirlsand on Cloud my stretegy would not work.

Ok now everything is setup and you can engage, follow this steps:
1.Use hades to put Ruby to sleep
2.Cast big guard and drink the hero drink
3.Use goblin hammer to suck Ruby's MP
4.Repeat until you can't drain any more mp

Now this will make this fight alot easier because
1.You are protected against the status effect by your Ribbon
2.Ruby will miss half of its magic/attack because you wearing Mystile, not to mention he got no mp left to cast those killing spells (ex.ultima or shadow flare)
3.Whenever you take damage the [magic counter-full cure] would trigger 90% of the time, even if it doesn't you can choose to do a full cure manually or just drink mega potion if you run out of mp.

Yes it become easier, but still not that easy because he have 1,000,000 hp and you haven't do any damage just yet. So how do you keep yourself alive and do decent damage to him at the same time? Here is my full strayegy:
1.4x-cut when Ruby miss you or he just not doing anything
2.When Ruby launch an attack hold your horses because if it lands and the magic counter doesn't trigger, you could be in danger. So try to move that cursor to full cure in case you have to  cure yourself manually (if you run out of mp place cursor on mega potion instead)
3.If Ruby's attack miss you keep doing your 4x attack, with your ultimate weapon equipped and a fair amount of hp you should do decent damage to Ruby's hands when they are immersed in the ground. (Cloud's ultimate weapon is HP dependent)
4.Omnislash whenever you limit-break is ready.

People ask me why I bother to go thru all the trouble if you could just w-summon hades and bahamut zero then mime your way thru. The first thing is it doesn't take as long as you think to kill Ruby using my stretegy, the second thing is you save huge amount of time to raise chocobos since no materia for this strategy require chocobo of any kind, the third thing is I don't feel like going thru all the trouble to raise a gold chocobo if I end up having 2 gold chocobos in my stable doing nothing.

I tested this strategy out and it works perfect, thou it may take half an hour to kill it, but its pretty fun. So did I earn my reward the hard way? Well at least I don't think so.

P.S. There still one thing concerns me about this strategy, because it says in the strategy guide out there that Ruby would not take any damage unless his hands are immersed in the sand, so if I attacked his hands after he put them in the sand does the damage count? I couldn't quite figure it out because I didn't keep track of how much damage I have done to his torso and his hands respectively.

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
Final Fantasy VII beating ruby weapon without using KoR
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-17 12:34:01 »
That's a nice tactics.
Ruby got 800,000 hp
[master command]=[added cut] will give you additional attack for Double Cut.
You could also Revive other character's and equip them with Mime. I don't remember how often Ruby uses his Whirlsand.

The Skillster

• Loving every Final Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-18 13:54:40 »
is that it? I would have sworn he had more HP.

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-18 14:02:29 »
check in scene.bin

cc1104

« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-20 12:19:56 »
I think Ruby does whirlsand whenever it sees more then one character is alive in the battle, unless you put it to sleep with Hades that is.

Yes you can equip master command or mime, but again that would involve raising chocobo, which is the reason why I bother to take like 30 mins to beat him the hard way.

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-20 13:16:48 »
Or magic counter with hades it works great :D

your evil twin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-22 12:52:40 »
This looks like a brilliant strategy... I never bothered defeating Ruby weapon, as the reward was a Gold Chocobo, and it seemed the only way to beat him was with Knights of the Round which you could only get with a Gold Chocobo.

I was planning on replaying the whole game, but as dreading doing the whole cocobo breeding thing again.  I was considering using a savegame editor to give myself KOTR, but I'd much rather do it this cool way without cheating.  Except the W-Item trick is kind of a cheat, isn't it? Though I thought it was fixed on the PC version of the game, I thought the W-Item cheat only worked on the playstation.

Radiosity

• Minty Fresh!
    • View Profile
    • Trance Vibes
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-22 14:08:14 »
Ruby does whirlsand once at the beginning if there is more than 1 character standing. After that he doesn't do it again and will concentrate on hammering you with the tentacles. I've never once seen him use it more than that, and I've fought him a lot of times ;)

Rajamic

« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-23 21:25:55 »
Ruby will use Whirlsand again if you kill his tenticles. That's not exactly an easy thing to do if you don't try to, though.