Author Topic: Having a problem with FF7 crashing while playing FMVs?  (Read 7921 times)

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Dunno if it's the best subforum to post this thread in... If you are reading this, you're a mod and want to move it, go ahead.

Hello there.

I'll have to disappoint you: No, it's not a miraculous way to get rid of your crashes. It's a little research I have to do, to learn more about corrupted movies and handling them. It's only for testing purposes, but... if you can take an advantage of it, why not give it a try?

dziugo's theory

A little explanation first. Those (in)famous FMV crashes/lockups aren't random. Who's experiencing them? People with corrupted movies on their FF7 CDs. It's not caused by scratches (probably) nor your neighbor's voodoo curses (again, probably :wink:). It's caused by... hmm... won't say it, but it's kind of obvious... There are just few "versions" of FF7. Some of them won't cause any problem when watching FMVs, some of them will...

Thanks goes to Larken and Xcalibur for pointing me in the right direction while looking into those crashes.

Why not a fix instead of this research?

I think that the permanent fix is a better choice. If there are only few differences between those files, a simple patcher will do the job. And that's the part when I need you guys&girls.

I've written a simple program. It'll run some checksums on your CDs and gather the needed information (only about those files). It will produce some files which I need you to send me. And that's it.

Why you should trust me?
Because I ask nicely :P.

Link to my program:
Download.

Feel free to post your comments/flames.

dziugo

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Having a problem with FF7 crashing while playing FMVs?
« Reply #1 on: 2005-10-21 18:30:45 »
I'm happy to run some checksum business on my movie files.  However, that link sent me to some "?" lock page that is not in English.  :-P  (I guess it says something about the file not being there.)

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2005-10-21 19:39:14 »
cause this is in polish, great and ancient language that only chosen ones are destined to use it... ;)

Sure, why not, sign me in.

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
« Reply #3 on: 2005-10-23 13:15:52 »
Yeah... link is down, because I thought that I have a "release version" compiled on my PC. It turned out, that I don't have it... and since I don't have my C++Builder installed (had to reformat), I can't compile it again. How embarrassing is that?...

If (by any chance) you're reading this, you HAVE C++Builder installed and you wish to run checksum on your FMVs, send me a Private Message.

I'll download a Trial Version and recompile it... Stay tuned...

dziugo

----------
Edit:
Ok, download enabled once again.

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-10-24 13:58:51 »
It created three 8-byte files. So everything is fine.
It said that my opening has wrong size but it's cause that is customized intro ;].

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-10-24 15:16:17 »
The brave do not fear the grave? :P Thanks for trying it out. Who else wants to check their FMVs?

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
« Reply #6 on: 2005-10-24 16:41:59 »
Same results here.

Cyberman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2005-10-24 18:04:46 »
Are you generating MD5 numbers or CRC32's?  CRC32's are only good for a certain size file. Unless you intend to extend the size of either an MD5 or CRC32.. anyhow I don't recomend generating a check for an entire file such as an FMV (AVI I suppose in this case) I'll dare say do it in chunks (IE CRC per 1meg or 512k or 256k or 128k chunks).  This will also pick up WHERE they are different (not just that they are different). It might be more useful.  Par files work great too (or sfv files) :)

You might be able to modify PAR2 to do the fixing for you or generate PAR2 files to repair them to functional movies.

Cyb

dziugo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-10-24 19:05:50 »
Yeah. That's what I thought. Why to release a program which can only say: "Hey, your movies are corrupted!!". So it also does what you're suggesting... I think...

Hmm... to come into details...

I'm calculating MD5 checkusm for the whole movies. This way I can tell if they are different from those on my CDs (it's not some super duper always saying true checksum, but it's good enough). If it's different, then it runs checksums on blocks of the file. If it doesn't mach, the block itself is added to the output file. That way I can tell if they are different, which blocks (with 0x8000 precision) are corrupted and I can reconstruct those corrupted movies on my HDD using my own CDs :P.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

dziugo

P.S.  My English is getting worse or what?

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-10-24 23:45:12 »
nah, you're just using some weird words like "super duper"... ;)

IMO that's damn great idea about these checksums... This is as far as I understand :D

bscoe247

• View Profile
Re: Having a problem with FF7 crashing while playing FMVs?
« Reply #10 on: 2008-02-19 06:22:53 »
hey everyone! why not try this... post ALL your videos on this site so we can download and replace our corrupted videos... ( of course we need videos that work....)

Ragna

• View Profile
Re: Having a problem with FF7 crashing while playing FMVs?
« Reply #11 on: 2008-02-19 10:07:59 »
Why did you revived an almost three years dead topic? X_X

Also, this forum doesn't have "that kind of support" of uploading copyrighted files. O.o