Author Topic: Final Fantasy Recommendation  (Read 12188 times)

Lokedawg

Final Fantasy Recommendation
« on: 2005-12-23 03:01:29 »
I'm a huge fan of FFVII. It was the first FFVII game I had ever played. I liked it so much that i bought a PS for it. And then I bought another PS later down the road just so that i could play the game again. I was wondering if you guys could recommend another final fantasy or role playing game. I've played FFX and beat it after losing my job to it i spent about 15 hours a day trying to beat it. the worst part was that i stayed at my cousins house because i don't own a PS2  and i slept on his couch. any suggestions?

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #1 on: 2005-12-23 03:04:50 »
A lot of people here hate FFVIII, but I personally like it more than FFVII.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #2 on: 2005-12-23 06:01:04 »
FF9 is my favorite.

L. Spiro

• View Profile
    • http://www.memoryhacking.com/index.php
« Reply #3 on: 2005-12-23 07:17:42 »
Chrono Triggerâ„¢.

L. Spiro

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2005-12-23 13:21:44 »
Quote from: L. Spiro
Chrono Triggerâ„¢

I agree.  That is an absolute classic.  I would also give Earthbound the nod for another Non-Final Fantasy suggestion.

Quote from: Lokedawg
I'm a huge fan of FFVII. It was the first FFVII game I had ever played.

It was my first too!  :wink:   I would recommend Final Fantasy III.  If you want to try a different gameplay style, give Final Fantasy Tactics a try.  Most love it or just plain hate it.  It didn't break the mold, but it was refreshingly  different.  I would also recommend Final Fantasy XI.  If your past addiction is any indicator, just imagine what would happen to your life if you had a never ending Final Fantasy.  :D

Zack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2005-12-23 17:44:30 »
I really enjoyed FFVIII but not as much as VII. I also seem to be one of the few people who enjoyed FFIX.

Sukaeto

• View Profile
    • Sukaeto's web server
« Reply #6 on: 2005-12-23 19:24:47 »
I third Chrono Trigger.

Also FF Tactics (I notice you mention this one as well, Otokoshi.  Good taste, you have.),  FFIV, and FFVI.

Caddberry

• View Profile
    • http://animenfo.com/
« Reply #7 on: 2005-12-24 03:09:03 »
If you enjoy chess I'd say you'd enjoy Final Fantasy Tactics.. I really did.. I also loved Final Fantasy 8, but I pretty much despised 9.. (The opinions on 8 and 9 are an odd thing with all FF fans..)

But.. Really now, if you lost your job to FFX .. Maybe you shouldn't play rpgs anymore..

Oh.. Also.. If you like puzzle type games.. I was playing Breath of Fire 4 for the PC.. That's pretty neat, and it has puzzles that you have to figure out on your own that I found to be a little more complex and time consuming than the newer FFs..

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2005-12-24 04:43:39 »
Is FFXI a monthly based subscription?  I just got ADSL and was thinking of purchasing it? Also does anyone know if there are many australian servers? (For those that dont know online multiplayer games aren't that popular over here and usually you have to connect to an overseas server)

As for FF8 i sorta liked it but rushed threw the game way too quick and ruined the whole experience for myself. Now i no longer have the game to replay because someone never returned it. Also i did not like the way limit breaks were done in it, having to be on low HP to use them meant i never got to see them.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2005-12-24 08:47:42 »
FFXI is one of the worst MMOs out of a generation of terrible online games.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2005-12-24 08:54:10 »
PLEASE do NOT buy FFXI, It makes JP cry ;_;

Seriously though, its a disgrace to its name.

World of Warcraft is MUCH better.

And theres a pwnage expansion coming out soon :D

-gone away-

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2005-12-25 01:20:07 »
Any other recommendations other than world of warcraft? warcraft shit's me to tears. diablo was good but warcrafts just too colourfull and cartoony.

Lokedawg - try FFVI, im playing it via an emulator at the moment and its pretty good, + the playstation version also features more stuff. Also shadow is one of the coolest special ff characters ive seen.

I really like FF tactic's but battles always take soo long to finish.

Caddberry

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2005-12-25 03:28:20 »
One important thing I forgot to mention.. If you decide to give tactics a spin get the psx version.. Do NOT get the version for the GBA .. Tactics advance I think they call it.. I really hated that.. For some reason it just really sucked for me.. I never got past starting out basically..

I heard WoW > FFXI

From what I heard FFXI is a real bitch to play solo.. You HAVE to have a decent group to do anything.. And it's really hard to start out..

WoW .. I played it a little.. On a free server just to test it out.. I could basically do squat.. Granted I had no instruction guide or anything of the sort, but I didn't find it to be very fun..

Looked pretty though..

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #13 on: 2005-12-25 04:34:07 »
on basis of graphics alone. i would say that eq2 is the best choice as far as (any, really) games go

Borde

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2005-12-25 17:36:12 »
FF6 (or 3 for US) is really great. There are very few games that I've enjoyed as much as FF6 (basically only 3: FF7, Half-Life and Monkey Island). Strongly recomended.
Other non-FF RPG games, SNES has a lot of great titles such as Tales of Phantasia, Terranigma and (as stated) Chrono Trigger.

Relf

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2005-12-26 00:37:01 »
FFT was one the best games I have ever played, FFTA was mediocre at best. FFVIII was pretty good, but not excetional. FFIX was pretty much garbage. Chrono Trigger was amazing but Chrono Cross was not up to the same standard, good, but not as good.

On the subject of WoW, its awsome, slow at parts but amazing over all.

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 2005-12-26 07:45:11 »
Quote from: Relf
FFT was one the best games I have ever played, FFTA was mediocre at best. FFVIII was pretty good, but not excetional. FFIX was pretty much garbage. Chrono Trigger was amazing but Chrono Cross was not up to the same standard, good, but not as good.

On the subject of WoW, its awsome, slow at parts but amazing over all.

Then you get to the end and realize all the time was wasted.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #17 on: 2005-12-26 08:03:32 »
Meh i logged over a year into EQ (played 3 years, 1 year online)... soo i know firsthand lol

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 2005-12-26 22:32:31 »
Quote from: Sukaeto
Also FF Tactics (I notice you mention this one as well, Otokoshi. Good taste, you have.)

Well thank you, I try.  :D

Quote from: Darkness
FFXI is one of the worst MMOs out of a generation of terrible online games.

Quote from: James Pond
Seriously though, its a disgrace to its name.

Quote from: Caddberry
From what I heard FFXI is a real b*tch to play solo.. You HAVE to have a decent group to do anything.. And it's really hard to start out..

All of this is absolutly true.  I played for nearly two years and playing solo is counter-productive.  Most of the time you have to fight low level Orcs, Fungi, or Sheep to survive.  When you "check" the enemy, if it states that it is "easy prey" then you should be good to go.  Otherwise, it will be a tough battle that will hit you with a harsh experience penalty if you die.  The only class that you can solo well with is the Beastmaster.  In my opinion, the Beastmaster is just plain lame.

Borman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 2005-12-26 22:37:21 »
I personally think FFXI is a whole hell of a lot better then WoW. Theres no drive for me to play WoW again, yet there is for FFXI.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #20 on: 2005-12-27 01:39:44 »
If FFXI didnt have FF in title, no one would ever touch it lol

Caddberry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 2005-12-27 06:09:39 »
Quote from: Lieron
If FFXI didnt have FF in title, no one would ever touch it lol

As sick as it is.. I think what you said is VERY true.. I would wager a pretty penny that without the FF name XI would have been played by a few people because of the pretty graphics, but probably left for dead soon after.

Honestly, the idea of gaming in a group is cool, but I don't think it should be a must.. I think XI would have been a lot better of a game if they had taken it down a few notches on the group reliance thing..

Darkness

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 2005-12-27 07:11:01 »
You can solo decently with a RDM/NIN, nut its not very fun either.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 2005-12-27 21:21:53 »
Quote from: Caddberry
I think XI would have been a lot better of a game if they had taken it down a few notches on the group reliance thing..

I agree.  The least they could have done was include some sort of way to hire henchman to assist you.  

I have seen a couple of MMOs use this recently and I believe it is a fair trade.  Have fun completing more challenging missions but have to share the experience with the henchman.  Apparently experience is awarded just like you are in a party, so I don't see how it would make the game unbalanced.

Lieron

• View Profile
    • Learnin' Time
« Reply #24 on: 2005-12-27 23:59:19 »
What do you mean a few? only Guild Wars has it lol