Author Topic: Game likes to crash to to desktop when doing certain actions  (Read 3535 times)

invy89420

My specs are:

Windows 2000 SP4
2.4 ghz
768 MB RAM
64 MB integrated video card

Whenever I try to do certain actions in the game, the game likes to just exit to the desktop.
If I try and go to the 'config' screen, it will try to load but it will just exit the game and go to the desktop.
 Another place that i've found it will exit to the desktop is when i'm in battle and the enemy comes up and attempts to attack me, it will also exit to the desktop.

This is a fresh installation of Windows 2000 and is very annoying that I can't get it to work properly. It worked fine when I was running Windows XP on the very same machine.

Anyone have any ideas what to try?

dziugo

• View Profile
    • A new copy of FF7 thanks to Salk. Pack (zip/rar/etc) your saved game before sending it to me.
Game likes to crash to to desktop when doing certain actions
« Reply #1 on: 2006-01-18 19:01:27 »
Check this.

dziugo

invy89420

« Reply #2 on: 2006-01-18 20:10:08 »
Thanks dude, that seemed to work for the most part. When I run the game from Qapp, it works. ^_^
But on #6 Create .sdb fix support, I did that. But, when I try to open Final Fantasy VII normally by using the shortcut on my desktop, it still crashes on the same places. Like if the patch isn't even having any effect at all?

Any ideas if I did something wrong or how it still crashes?

EDIT: Also, it says to install the chocobo patch on #1. How am I supposed to do that if I hadn't installed the game yet, according to the instructions? It says 'cannot find ff7.exe', obviously because I hadn't installed the game yet.

invy89420

« Reply #3 on: 2006-01-18 20:44:56 »
Ok lol this may seem very odd but it works. It didn't say anything about this in the link.

What I did is when it created the .sdb file in my WINNT\System 32 directory, I went there to the sysmain.sdb file, right clicked it, open with....., browsed to my ff7.exe, and it opened up FF7.

It doesn't crash now, and it seems to have taken effect.
That seems very odd even to me, but hey it works as far as I know so far.

So I just created a shortcut to that sdb file on my desktop.

EDIT: damnit I thought it fixed everything up but it didn't. It doesn't crash when I open the 'config' in the menu, but now it crashes when I exit the menu.

This is really retarded.

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-01-19 02:21:53 »
install winXP

Midgar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-01-19 23:47:58 »
How old is your CD and why exactly did you install 2000?

invy89420

« Reply #6 on: 2006-01-21 00:59:08 »
I figured out what was wrong thanks anyways. :)

And I installed Windows 2000 because it's much more stable and faster.