Author Topic: The death of MxTabs  (Read 6846 times)

spyrojyros_tail

The death of MxTabs
« on: 2006-07-10 19:16:42 »
Hey guys, im surprised that this hasnt been brought up here. If anyone plays a guitar or drums (unless you taught yourself totally) you probably would have heard of guitar tabs, and mxtabs was one of the largest and best website for tabs (no popus etc). Now basically what happend was the MPA are pushing to jail people who are hosting these sites as they say that tabs are now illegal (thats right! the ones you sit down for ages and figure out yourself, its illegal to publish your work on the net). So the guys who run it decided to shut the site down to avoid jailtime.

This really really pissed me off, and i mean big time!! I really wanted to rip the face of one of those MPA assholes. :x :x :x They say that they own the melody of the songs, so even writing a tab that isnt exactly the same as the song, thats illegal too! So it got me thinking, what is going to be next? Making cover bands illegal? (you know the ones that play in your local) .... ok well maybe not, that might be pushing it too much (its been pushed too far already if you ask me)

But I was looking for recepies on the net, and i was thinking... is THIS next? Surely there is no difference here, they have cookbooks that tell you how to cook stuff, and if someone wants to put that recipie on the net is that illegal? Holy crap man, if we let them win this fight, there is nothing that they cannot make illegal. The one thing that annoys me the most is that they are making information illegal.

I was just very annoyed at the whole thing... what do you think? (especially the recipies bit! could you imagine if they pulled the plug on that!?!?)

Alhexx

• View Profile
    • http://www.alhexx.com
Re: The death of MxTabs
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-10 20:29:41 »
I personally used to play guitar and I was preferably getting my tabs from MySongBook.com, which was the biggest resource for Guitar Pro tabulatures.
(I have also submitted a tab there once - Akira Yamaoka - You're Not Here - from the Silent Hill 3 Soundtrack...)

However:
Quote from: MySongBook.com
Providing some tabs - even made by ear - of copyrighted music is illegal. In order to respect the law, downloads have been limited to the [Composition] and [Competition] files. We are going to make our best to find a solution to offer music content without infringing copyrights.
:cry:

But it seems that Olga has not been shut down (yet).

Well, what's next?
I suppose that you have to go to jail for singing your favorite song while having a shower... :-P

*plugs his Squier Stagemaster7 into his Marshall Amp and plays Master Of Puppets...*

- Alhexx
« Last Edit: 2006-07-10 20:33:28 by Alhexx »

M0T

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-10 23:48:08 »
I get most of my tabs from www.911tabs.com and I think most of the mxtabs archive can be downloaded from bittorrent?

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-11 08:12:33 »
Hmm, I was thinking that might happen alright. But its just the principal of the thing. Hell when they shut down napster, kazza came out, when people were getting busted for using kazza, people started using bittorrent. I know that tabs will never die, but I just hate them getting away with these crazy ass laws. The real heroes of the 21st century are going to be the IT nerds.

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-11 16:34:36 »
Wow this sucks. I can't afford all of the books.

I guess they will be after sites with lyrics next.

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-11 16:52:51 »
Some already are.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-11 20:05:56 »
Quote from: sfx1999
I guess they will be after sites with lyrics next.

I'm looking forward to the first time a band comes onto stages, and no one sings their songs, since they don't the lyrics...

- Alhexx

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-12 09:30:36 »
Well thats a moot point Alhexx.

In theory, fans should buy the CD's if they are there for the band.  Ergo, they print the lyrics inside the inlay, as 99% of bands do now anyway, so they'll still know the lyrics.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-12 11:04:46 »
Quote from: James Pond
Ergo, they print the lyrics inside the inlay, as 99% of bands do now anyway, so they'll still know the lyrics.

Yes, of course. However, do you have a CD of every single song you know or like?
I'm not going to point at that pirate corner now; just think about radio and music TV stations.
You know a lot of songs because you just heard them somewhere...

- Alhexx

sfx1999

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-12 16:06:51 »
I have to wonder if it is legal or not to tape songs off the radio for personal use.

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-12 17:05:46 »
Im not too sure, i think its illegal but im not 100%. If it is illegal then they can hardly enforce it. You know that they want to start putting spy chips into your dvd re-writer to make sure your pirating stuff? Talk about the police state!

Jedimark

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-12 19:21:25 »
Yeah think it's illegal. I also think it's illegal to record movies off the TV onto video/dvd etc.

Alhexx

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-12 19:38:46 »
Quote from: sfx1999
I have to wonder if it is legal or not to tape songs off the radio for personal use.

I'm not 100% sure, but as long as you do not distribute the copy you made on your radio, I think it's not illegal.

- Alhexx

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-07-14 13:17:15 »
No, what im saying Alhexx, is that you made a point of fans not knowing the lyrics at a gig.

Why would you go to a gig, if you only liked one or two songs? 
If you went to a gig, you (should) have their CD so that you know more of their music, and therefore their point for lyrics sites being taken down is justified.

spyrojyros_tail

« Reply #14 on: 2006-07-14 15:16:08 »
Why would you go to a gig, if you only liked one or two songs? 

Ive been to loads of gigs when I didnt know any of their songs!  :lol: They usually are good ones too, I would hear off a friend to go see a band and if I liked them live I would buy their cd. Ideally what I would love to happen is for the charts to be abolished (most music in the charts is crap anyway, marketed towards 14 -16 year olds). And the only income that the band would have would be from their gigs (if they are crap live then they suffer for it). And instead of buying music, downloading it for free and making a donation. (that will probably never happen, but im just hoping here)

The way it is at the minute is totally wrong, you have people with no talent being famous, and it used to be because someone was so entertaining that they became famous. But now anyone can, thanks to crap like big brother and pop idol. Its so funny tho, if you hear the MPA talk about this they say that they are "protecting the artists livelyhoods" last time I checked all the bands that I have tabs for are pretty wealthy. I really feel that they are throwing their weight around.

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-07-28 22:08:12 »
I just google:
 "Band" - "Songname" - Guitar - tabs