Author Topic: PSP Advice  (Read 7701 times)

Otokoshi

• View Profile
PSP Advice
« on: 2006-07-18 03:59:42 »
Well, I'm taking the plunge.  I'm bored all the time at work and frankly they don't care if I surf the web, read a book, or listen to music, as long as my work is done.  So I figure I'll finally go pick up a PSP.  I can rip movies to it, bring along Mp3s, surf the web, and play games all while at work.  I've heard great things about it, but I've heard the screen is delicate and scratches easily.  I just wanted some of your guys opinons on the PSP in general and what accessories you have gotten for it.  Thanks in advance!

James Pond

• Forums Grumpy Bastard....At The Best Of Times.
    • View Profile
Re: PSP Advice
« Reply #1 on: 2006-07-18 09:06:30 »
http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,crid=2362,contentid=10181

Get one of those, and your PSP wont get any scratches at all.

Im currently kicking myself for upgrading my PSP to 1.71 so I could get the LocoRoco demo...  Especially now Gitaroo Man has just been released in Japan, and it works with Devhook.7 >_<

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
« Reply #2 on: 2006-07-19 17:08:22 »
The LCD ghosts a bit when playing video. I tried to return mine, but it is a flaw that affects the entire product line, so retailers won't do anything about it. I ultimately took a 100 dollar hit and traded mine in for store credit (Hello, Wii)

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2006-07-19 21:42:45 »

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2006-07-20 14:20:32 »
The ghosting is the screen, cant do anything about it

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2006-07-20 15:02:53 »
Thanks for all the advice, keep it comming.  :-D  Does anyone know any reputible sources for PSP firmware.  A Google search tends to bring up some shady results.  I heard some of these user-created firmwares gives you more functionality and even the ability to install applications.  I heard Sony changed this with firmware updates for their latest games, but I'm sure their is a workaround for it.

So how bad is the ghosting?  Is it more prominent during fast motion scenes, or is it just a constant annoyance?

Izban

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2006-07-21 06:45:30 »
http://dl.qj.net/index.php?&catid=106&show=all thats a good site for most things psp related

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2006-07-21 08:11:20 »
I wouldnt touch non official firmware if you have any value to your PSP.

Or any sense for that matter.

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2006-07-21 14:06:41 »
I have had bad experiences with non-official hardware in the past...stay away from Pelican and other 3rd-party brands.  My cousin has a PSP and got a Pelican screen cover, and so far nothig bad has happened except that it cheaply broke off once, but sometimes (usually with consoles but you never know) it can really mess up the system somehow.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2006-07-23 16:26:22 »
Quote from: MagiMaster
stay away from Pelican and other 3rd-party brands.

That's true, there was just a recall for a Pelican PSP charger in the US.  It had the risk of catching fire.

Quote from: James Pond
I wouldnt touch non official firmware if you have any value to your PSP.

Or any sense for that matter.

Well I wouldn't be careless about it.  My friend had a problem with his once and they have tools now to bring the firmware back to 1.5.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2006-07-23 17:25:40 »
If you corrupt the firmware corrupts, the PSP wont boot up.

Its Bricked, you cant fix it without sending it off to Sony (provided its within warrenty)

There are tools to DOWNGRADE firmware, but im almost certain none to fix a bricked PSP

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2006-07-25 20:58:25 »
Quote from: James Pond
If you corrupt the firmware corrupts, the PSP wont boot up.

I don't follow.

Well I just got it and I'm really enjoying it so far.  I recieved my order for a 2gb SanDisk Pro Duo card, now I'm ripping movies and whatnot.  Still waiting on that Logitech case I ordered, but it should be here soon enough.

Looking through some of the PSP forums, the user-created firmware didn't seem to have the features that justified the increased risk of installing them.  If I'm missing something please let me know.  They keep mentioning bricking it, so that is one risk I'm not willing to take.  I doubt sending it off to Sony will help.  They will see that an unofficial firmware was installed and therefore voids the warranty.

Thank you to everyone for their advice.  If anyone finds new tips or gadgets for this feel free to drop the info here.

James Pond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2006-07-25 22:09:22 »
I meant, If you corrupt the firmware, the PSP wont boot up, and is therefor royally fucked.

Otokoshi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2006-07-26 05:47:00 »
Alright...sorry if I touched a nerve.  Thanks for your great advice.  :-)

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2006-07-28 22:18:21 »
DS is better and more functional in doing his job, thats the only advice I can give you (I returned my PSP after 3 days)

MagiMaster

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2006-07-29 00:41:49 »
Me?  I go for software.  That's why I have a DS, excuse me, DS LITE.  Ha!  It rocks, and New SMB and Tetris are quite fun, not to mention Mario Kart.