Author Topic: Hate to use this forum as a computer advice column, but...  (Read 4409 times)

James

• View Profile
I've noticed a lot of smarter chaps happen to visit this place. So here's my bit:

I believe my integrated sound card is a piece of crap - with that said, can anyone reccomend an alternate sound card in a below $100  Canadian price range - that supports 5.1 Pro Logic Surround Sound (rght now my stupid integrated sound card won't even support Stereo sound, so, anythings better).

Thanks in advance if you reply.

J

Otokoshi

• View Profile
Creative X-Fi can't be beat in my opinion.  You can get the Creative XtremeGamer at retail for $100 American, so I'm sure you can find it for less if you shop around.  The Creative Audigy series card should also fit your budget.  The Audigy 4 retails for $80 American, and even comes with a remote.  Sorry I couldn't find Canadian prices, but I hope this helps.

M0T

• View Profile
True the X-Fi music is a very good card if it works. However, they have compatibility issues with Nforce 4 motherboards that result in crackling sound which cannot be fixed. Check out the creative forums to find out if its compatable with your board.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
Go to an OEM shop and get a Sound Blaster Live/Audigy/Audigy2 (they're all pretty much the same) for ~ 25 usd

ChaosControl

• ยค
    • View Profile
I have a Creative Sound Blaster Live 1024! which works great for me :o
Shouldnt cost too much because it's already kind of outdated.

Darkness

• View Profile
    • http://www.x0r.net
I got my first SB Live when I built a 400Mhz P2 system... I must've been about 12. Sad thing is... I can't tell the difference between that and my Audigy 2, but the difference between that and some modern Yamaha-ish cards is incredible.

James

• View Profile
Thanks.

I'll swing by the nearest Future Shop and attempt to pick one up.

I've written down the chief ones that I'll be looking at, namely the Soundblaster Live, and the Creative X-Fi.

I'll likely settle on the SB-Live. I get my refund check for my scholarships today, so while that boosts up my spending limit significantly; I'm cheap.

--addendum

Ended up getting the SB Audigy 4 for a bit over $100... I love it so far. Now, my only complaint happens to be that the rear right speaker doesn't play properly.

It isn't the rear right speaker itself, but whichever speaker is plugged into the "REAR RIGHT SPEAKER" slot on the subwoofer.

It's a Logitech X-530, still under warranty, so I shouldn't have a problem getting that solved.
« Last Edit: 2006-10-11 08:24:01 by James »