Author Topic: No music in Final Fantasy 8  (Read 3071 times)

SuperBeast

• View Profile
No music in Final Fantasy 8
« on: 2007-04-27 12:16:27 »
Hi all

Recently decided that i wanted to play Final Fantasy 8 after not playing it for some time and got it installed with no hassles, bot hardware and software graphics mode working fine.  I did have an issue with the game when i started it up it would go back to the desktop.  It would'nt quit, it would sit in the taskbar but i could not get into it.  This was solved by removing the cccp codec pack i had installed.

The first time i installed it the music would work, both with the totally unpatched and patched game and with the updated dls and svg files.  However because of the issue I had as described above, i uninstalled and reinstalled it several times in an attempt to get it to work.  Somewhere along the line the music stopped playing completely.  Now, everytime i use FF8 configurator to attempt to play the music, whether it is with the old dls and svg's or new, i would get the 'failed' message.  I have tried with all combinations possible in the FF8 configurator and used the 1.2 ff8 patch as well as the updated dls'.

I have also attempted to use the ff8midi file, which encounters a problem and closes, as does winamp when trying to play the FF8 music using Ficedula's winamp plugin.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled my sound drivers, to no avail.

Im guessing this may well be a problem with my computer setup somehow and not FF8, but I have no idea how as I didn't change anything during this process.  Please does anybody know how this problem could be fixed.

System:
Windows XP SP2
Soundblaster X-FI
intel core 2 duo
asus p5w dh
ati 1900 xt

Many thanks for reading

Aaron

• View Profile
    • http://aaron-kelley.net/
Re: No music in Final Fantasy 8
« Reply #1 on: 2007-04-27 23:39:49 »
Do you have more than one choice in FF8Config for "DirectMusic Port" on the sound tab?  If you do, what is it set to?

SuperBeast

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2007-04-28 09:53:41 »
The choices I have are 'Microsoft Synthesizer' and 'SB X-Fi Audio [8C00]'
Microsoft Synthesizer was selected when I checked, however upon using the other and firing up the game there is still no joy.
Bizarre  :|

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-03-28 00:22:16 »
i second that and need help with my music too.dk what i can do about it :/

Insight

• Nothing special here...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-03-28 18:54:21 »
okay for everyone,who got the same problems as we have.....i found a solution.deinstall your current directx version and reinstall it :)