Author Topic: Problems with FF7 : Menu crashing T_T  (Read 2234 times)

Blackvise

Problems with FF7 : Menu crashing T_T
« on: 2007-05-26 23:02:36 »
Hello, I'm new to this board, and I'm going to annoy you with my problems. ;-)

I recently wanted to play FF7 again on my PC, but it appeared to show several bugs, the first one being upside-down movies, but it has been quickly fixed.

Now to the real thing : If I try to open the menu, the game lags for a second and then it crashes to desktop (has met a problem blablabla). The same thing happens during battles, when I try to use some magic or when an enemy does some special attack.
Also, when using straight the freshly installed version, I can load the game but while using the 1.02 version the screen goes black for a second and then goes back to desktop.

I can load videos (Eidos, Intro, etc ...) I see the starting sequence with Clad getting down the train. I can load my previous saved games. I can freely move around. I can initiate a battle. I can see other menus (speech bubbles, saving slots).

The strange thing is that I already played this game with NO PROBLEM (well except the usual chocobo thingy ;-)), I can even load back my old games, but this menu thingy is getting on my nerves T_T.
Well now that I'm thinking about it, the new thing is that I now have a new video card (GeForce4 Ti 4200 --> Radeon 9550), the old one being faulty.

What I tried :
_ Patch 1.02 with or without TNT ticked
_ Patch 1.04 XP (I know I shouldn't have done it, but still I had to try)
_ Compatibility (95/98/NT/2000 + tried MS Compatibility toolkit)
_ I read a lot of other topics of this forum and couldn't find a way to make it work

What else can I do ? Any help is greatly appreciated, I'll willingly send you screenshots or files to help me debug ;-).
« Last Edit: 2007-05-27 13:57:32 by Blackvise »

Guspaz

• View Profile
Re: Problems with FF7 : Menu crashing T_T
« Reply #1 on: 2007-05-28 03:36:21 »
You sort of forgot to mention what OS you're running. XP? XP SP1? XP SP2? XP x64? XP x64 SP1? Vista? Vista x64? etc.

Blackvise

Re: Problems with FF7 : Menu crashing T_T
« Reply #2 on: 2007-05-28 09:47:08 »
Zwoops, my bad :D.

My operating system is Windows XP with the Service Pack 2.
Thanks for the answer. I've been trying to tweak my graphics card properties (no change at all) and DirectX properties (still no change).

Ow and now I can't initiate a battle anymore (???). It crashes before the "whirlpool" effect. Maybe there's something to look into, which would have a relation with the menu ? (I think there are sprites in both of them)