Author Topic: All models are black with [EDIT] Hardware modes  (Read 6080 times)

RubberDucky

All models are black with [EDIT] Hardware modes
« on: 2008-01-28 22:25:45 »
[EDIT] Title edited to reflect new findings. This post is inacurate now.

Title says it all really, installed FF7 in XP, obviously didn't work off the mark. Installed 1.02, worked in TNT mode. Crashed at battles, installed battle-swirl patch, battles worked.

So I figured I would try the Hi-Res patch, but after installing it, although all models loads, they are completely black except for the odd texture (eg eyes / barrett's tattoo).

Also the backgrounds to UI elements such as speech boxes is black as well.

So, where do I go from here? :)

« Last Edit: 2008-01-29 18:29:52 by RubberDucky »

hay

• If I had a buggy, I'd cross the southern desert
    • View Profile
Re: All models are black with Hi-Res patch
« Reply #1 on: 2008-01-29 09:48:14 »
Try clean-install of hi-res patch(install to non-patched ff71.02), the one that changes res to 1280x960 without addidtional patches. It should work ok(worked fine for me). From this point try one patch at a time and observe how the game behaves.

RubberDucky

« Reply #2 on: 2008-01-29 14:55:01 »
Just tried patching off of clean ff7 and ff7config but it made no difference, still have black people and black menus.

Edit: Oh dear, I am now getting the black people etc with a fresh install patch to 1.02 and with nothing else on it.

...oh dear.

Edit2: Here's a picture of what it looks like in battle (installed the battle swirl patch but its black like this out of battle without the patch as well)
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff100/RubberDucky132/ff71.png
« Last Edit: 2008-01-29 16:16:51 by RubberDucky »

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-01-29 16:38:29 »
So that excludes patches.

I would suggest to try software mode to exlude dx/drivers/hardware. And clean install of FF7 would not harm(make sure you backup your savegames and ff7input.cfg). I hope it helps.
I played ff7 since it was released on PC and didn't see such miracles.

RubberDucky

« Reply #4 on: 2008-01-29 17:37:03 »
Woot it works in software mode? will try hi-res patch in software mode, seem to remember it crashes in software mode with high ress patch though.

Btw, in case it helps:
Gfx: 8800GT
Proc: C2D 6320
Mem: 2Gb Corsair Value

No overclock atm.

hay

• View Profile
Re: All models are black with [EDIT] Hardware modes
« Reply #5 on: 2008-01-29 18:48:17 »
since it works in software mode it's probably driver/directx and other stuff fault. try to reinstall drivers and dx.

RubberDucky

« Reply #6 on: 2008-01-29 19:02:44 »
I've run dxdiag and it found no problems (you can't reinstall DX9 because you can't uninstall it). Also reinstalled nVidia drivers to no avail.

Looks like by the time we've sorted this out I'll have a golden chocobo :P

hay

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2008-01-30 09:51:21 »
you can install dx over it or uninstall using dx buster or other uninstallers.
tried to reinstal whole ff7? starting new game? maybe your video card driver settings are causing it, try to experiment with configuration(don't mess to much there).

I'm totally clueless on this one but I suggest you to make clean reinstall of whole game(backup savegame and ff7input) and apply one patch at a time and observe results.
« Last Edit: 2008-01-30 09:53:04 by hay »

w00tr0xr

« Reply #8 on: 2008-02-07 21:06:22 »
Hey everybody!

I'm having the same problems... I have an 8600 GT though instead of an 8800... is this something that only happens to nvidia cards?

Anyways, here are some things that I've tried:
1. Fresh Install + 1.02 + Hi-res + cloud quality + YAMP + NPC Reconstruction + Tm Codec
- Black models as described before and also menu colors flicker from black and white to blue when I'm selecting something
2. Fresh Install + " + toggling settings specific to ff7.exe --> AA on etc.
- Black Models
3. Fresh Install + 1.02 stuff + TM Codec (basic basic basic stuff)
- Run game, black models...

My card has ran everything else i've thrown at it well (WC3 etc.) and I just wanted to pick up FF7 again...

So does anyone have anything to say about this issue?

w00tr0xr

« Reply #9 on: 2008-02-07 21:25:02 »
Oh and I also got the same result as rubberducky when i ran it in software rendering.

It worked... just the Direct3d rendering didnt

magixts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2008-02-08 15:02:49 »
This is a problem with the 8-series nvidia GPUs in Final Fantasy VII. In Windows XP model textures are all black with a few exceptions. In Vista the nvidia driver keeps crashing in the background and after awhile causes the game to turn all orange and later bluescreen.

From what i know there is no fix. Software should work (no idea if the high-res patch works in software - probably not).

w00tr0xr

« Reply #11 on: 2008-02-09 06:58:02 »
awww... okay! well playing in software mode is better than nothing... it was what i feared was the problem!

RubberDucky

« Reply #12 on: 2008-02-17 23:21:33 »
The patch crashes for me in software mode so thats no good.

Damn shame, oh well, I'm already on disc 2 now, not long to go :P

Zerberbuth

« Reply #13 on: 2008-02-22 03:56:26 »
Seems like I ran in the same problem as these guys. I searched around alot for a solution but all I managed to find is that our hardware+drivers no longer support what's needed to run the game correctly anymore. I'm hoping some modders will catch wind of this and come up with a fix at some point, as it would basically force everyone to keep ancient hardware just to keep playing this classic.