Author Topic: I was wondering if someone could help me.  (Read 7592 times)

freezingicekirby

• View Profile
I was wondering if someone could help me.
« on: 2008-05-25 17:09:37 »
See here, I'm a fan of the Megaman X series, and here lately, I got Megaman X6 for the PC (since I want to get more games for my PC)...

Just one problem...

Megaman X6 PC was only released oversea's... so all it's language is in Korean.

So, after spending so much time here on this board, I know you people are pretty good at things like this, so I thought I'd ask you a question.

Do any of you know how I could somehow get inside of the game (full download of coarse) and change the text to english? I'm fully aware that I will have to change it all by hand... err, typing, I know I just cant switch a few files around and expect it to be english.  It's going to be a very hard job, I know that already, but I'm still hoping for a solution.

If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it  :-D

Here are snip shots of what the folders consist of.

The second folder was just for the movie clips.

If you guys could help me, I'd deeply appreciate it :D

And, while I'm here, thanks to everyone here for getting me through the bugs and stuff in Final Fantasy 7!  I was able to get through the game with no problem after coming here, so thanks a bunch  :-D :-D :-D

Jari

Re: I was wondering if someone could help me.
« Reply #1 on: 2008-05-25 17:47:51 »
XA and STR folders?

...so, the PC version is actually an emulator running the PSX version? Groovy.

nope

• nope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-05-26 17:32:45 »
Wow now that's pretty surprising, looks like they didn't even bother updating to more suitable file formats for the pc version of the game. I'm guessing all of the text and stuff is in that big DAT file, using a custom file system. You'll have to reverse engineer how files are stored in that to get anything out of it.

If you have the game for the ps1 you could try replacing the dat file from the english version over the pc version to see if it can still use it :P

freezingicekirby

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2008-05-27 00:10:55 »
Unfortunately, I don't have the ps1 version... I always meant to get it, but never did.

Thanks anyway :D  I appreciate the help I got!

Looks like I will have to either A) Live with it or B) Learn Korean... which isn't going to happen lol

squeeble

• GOOGLE GODDAMIT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-05-27 02:15:51 »
If you do manage to get inside the files you could just run all the text through a translator.
It would be more engrish than english, but well atleast it would make the game more funny, and would save having to type everything up.

freezingicekirby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2008-05-27 02:20:02 »
lol Thank you for thinking I have the capability to do that... but I'm not smart enough to get into a file like that.  I wouldn't have any idea how to do it.

Would anyone suggest a way to do it though?  Sorry if this is simpler than it seems, but I've never done such a thing before.

obesebear

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-05-27 03:14:36 »
As far as I know there isn't a single tool that can decompress all .dat files because they can be compressed many different ways.  I may be wrong though..