Author Topic: Editors and stuff for the PSX version  (Read 4204 times)

Forum_User

Editors and stuff for the PSX version
« on: 2008-11-14 02:06:44 »
Are most editors for the PC version? Are there ones are for the PSX version(editing the ROM of PSX version?)?

I am wondering if there is an editor that allows you to edit dialogue and characters in the scene for the PS version. Also if there is an editor for enemies you fight for the PS version of FF7?

For example - If I wanted to replace the first boss with a different enemy, is there an editor out there for the PSX version?

Any help will be apperciated, thanks.

DarkVenomandCarnage

• FUTILE EFFORT!
    • View Profile
Re: Editors and stuff for the PSX version
« Reply #1 on: 2008-11-14 03:22:39 »
I to would like to know/have one :lol:

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2008-11-14 13:01:53 »
Someone else will, no doubt, come up with a better answer soon, but for now I can tell you that a lot of the editors (like Wall Market and Hojo) should work on the PSX version, as long as you are careful about editing the ISO. I think there's a tool that helps with that called CDMage. The biggest problem is that PSX discs don't like having too much added to them; so if, for example, you wanted to add lots of new things and making the files much bigger, you might run into problems . If you just want to change already existing enemies, I think you'll be able to do it, as long as you are careful and don't increase the size of the files. It has been done:

Forum_User

« Reply #3 on: 2008-11-15 21:54:18 »
Someone else will, no doubt, come up with a better answer soon, but for now I can tell you that a lot of the editors (like Wall Market and Hojo) should work on the PSX version, as long as you are careful about editing the ISO. I think there's a tool that helps with that called CDMage. The biggest problem is that PSX discs don't like having too much added to them; so if, for example, you wanted to add lots of new things and making the files much bigger, you might run into problems . If you just want to change already existing enemies, I think you'll be able to do it, as long as you are careful and don't increase the size of the files. It has been done:

Thanks for the help, so most of the files are exactly the same in the PSX and PC version? That's good to know.

Yeah, I have heard about the size changing limitation in PSX roms, so I'll be careful about editing the ROMs.  I've used CD mage before with FFTactics and editing files with Using FFTPatcher by melonhead, so I have some experience with editing the PSX ROMs before which should make things easier.

Anyway, thanks again for the help, apperciated it.

Quick question: (From the edit page on the wiki): "Loveless" and "Cosmo" are both dialogue editors for FF7? Do you know if they could also work for the PSX version?
« Last Edit: 2008-11-15 22:19:04 by Forum_User »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2008-11-15 23:21:12 »
Some of the files are the same; kernel.bin is and I think scene.bin might be as well (although the PSX version doesn't have a kernel2.bin, so you won't be able to use Teioh).

As for text editors, I've just looked, and apparently Loveless does not work with the PSX version because field files are not stored the same way. I'm not sure about cosmo because I've never used it and I don't have the PSX version with me at the moment. Could Meteor work? I've never tried using it with the PSX version, but it edits individual field files so it might work with the PSX version (or it might not). If it doesn't, you might have to hex edit.
« Last Edit: 2008-11-16 00:33:46 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »

Forum_User

« Reply #5 on: 2008-11-20 04:24:18 »
Thanks again for the help.

Meteor - I tried randomly extracting files from the CD under "field" folder such as church.bsx/.dat/.mim and tried opening it but didn't work unless that's not how you're supposed to do it with Meteor.

In terms of Hojo(enemy editor), does it allow you to change the monster model or monster you fight(for example, if you wanted to replace the first boss with a different enemy, can it do that?).

Another question - For the PSX version, I'm going to use the gameshark code listed in this FAQ that brings back Aeris but is there anything helpful that I should know about when getting back Aeris?(besides the trouble spots and game crashes in scenes where Aeris shouldn't be there as mentioned in the link).

For example, the FAQ mentions that Aeris cannot be moved with the "PHS" because she isn't considered a "default character" anymore, anyway to "fix" that?(ROM editing or gameshark code or something else?)

Also another is that Aeris doesn't show up in the Materia exchange menu anymore, again, anyway to "fix" that?

I read something on these forums about doing the Battle Square thing with Aeris to fix problems or something but is there anything else that I should do similar that?

Another question, I heard something about the "Magic Defense" stat not properly working(it does nothing), is there a way to fix that for the PSX version?
« Last Edit: 2008-11-20 04:27:59 by Forum_User »

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2008-11-20 13:29:45 »
If you want to change the monsters you fight, I think you'll have to hex edit the scene file, or change the model in battle.lgp. As for the magic defence bug, the only solution I've seen so far is to make the armour increase the spirit stat, e.g. if a piece of armour has a magic defence of 10, use Wall Market to make it add 10 to the spirit stat (it will have the same effect).
« Last Edit: 2008-11-20 13:33:57 by Leighos Kudistos Megistos »