Author Topic: GeoCities is shutting down  (Read 4464 times)

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
GeoCities is shutting down
« on: 2009-10-26 14:28:23 »
I've only just found out, via xkcd. (sceencap, for great justice; yes kids, that's what the Internet used to look like :-P)

We can say good bye to hideous webpages about vampires with hit counters, gifs, MIDIs and pictures that took 5 minutes to appear when using dialup; ahhhh, those were the days! :lol:

I'm of the opinion that GeoCities should have been kept so that it could be a museum of the Internet and teach future generations how things used to be, but Yahoo are big mean poopy-heads! :x

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
Re: GeoCities is shutting down
« Reply #1 on: 2009-10-26 14:46:15 »
I'm of the opinion that GeoCities should have been kept so that it could be a museum of the Internet and teach future generations how things used to be

Or at least what to avoid being.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-10-26 14:50:50 »
I'm of the opinion that GeoCities should have been kept so that it could be a museum of the Internet and teach future generations how things used to be

Or at least what to avoid being.

Meh, GeoCities style sites now have kitsch value, like 80s clothes :wink:

Jari

« Reply #3 on: 2009-10-26 16:56:37 »

A friend send me the same link today, as well.

I think this calls for a tribute-site, akshually... :-D

Tsetra

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-11-01 00:34:37 »
I'm always uncovering rare gems from geocities sites, things I previously never knew about. Now, a lot of that I'll never find. A pity. There's the Internet Archive, but these pages often do not include anything aside from text.

pyrozen

• Team Avalanche Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-11-01 00:47:46 »
Ahhh, i remember the good ole days when you typed in "diablo" and came back with 200+ clan websites. Each hand crafted with an in browser HTML window with prefab graphincs and styles. This was all around 13 years ago....

I gotta say i miss those days, now huge websites (gamespy, EGO, etc....) gobble up all the users, and there's no longer room for the little guys.  This is somehow similar to something else, but i can't put my finger on it.... i thinks it's WAL-MA.... something....

something i don't miss... anyone remember <flash>LOOK I BLINK</flash> tags.  BLEH!

lee

Tekkie.X

• Formerly known as DragonNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-11-01 01:11:25 »
Wallmart has infect the UK too, the ASDA store chain is owned by Wallmart.

Landarma

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-11-01 08:47:52 »
Wallmart has infect the UK too, the ASDA store chain is owned by Wallmart.

Heh..... In South Korea, Wallmart and Carrefour were never so successful.  The only 'successful' one is Tesco Home Plus, but I doubt it could 'operate' if it wasn't Samsung.

Anyway, good memories.... There was indeed some good sites there......

Jari

« Reply #8 on: 2009-11-07 21:00:33 »