Author Topic: Editing Textures?  (Read 2289 times)

MartialKnight

• View Profile
Editing Textures?
« on: 2010-04-24 03:38:48 »
Hello All!

I'm eagerly awaiting the next releases from TEAM AVALANCHE and APZ FREAK (Cloud Model), but I figure in the mean time I would like to try my hand at editing the textures on the character models to make them a little prettier...

Can anyone direct me to a tutorial on how to extract to edit and then repack the texture files? I have Photoshop 7 so that's what I'd be using to edit them.

Thanks for your help! :)

Mendelevium

• View Profile
Re: Editing Textures?
« Reply #1 on: 2010-04-24 03:44:25 »
The only textures that are in the game are the eyes and mouths of all the models. To texture a model fully, you would have to first rip the model out of the game, and then create a UV map for said model. Then you would have to make an entirely new texture. Then you would have to split the model up and port it back into the game, with the new texture used. I don't know specifics, since it has been ages since i have attempted to port anything into FF7, but i know there is a set number of textures that you are allowed to use, i think that was seven. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: 2010-04-24 03:45:59 by Mendelevium »

nfitc1

• I just don't know what went wrong.
    • View Profile
    • WM/PrC Blog
« Reply #2 on: 2010-04-24 04:01:28 »
The only textures that are in the game are the eyes and mouths of all the models. To texture a model fully, you would have to first rip the model out of the game, and then create a UV map for said model. Then you would have to make an entirely new texture. Then you would have to split the model up and port it back into the game, with the new texture used. I don't know specifics, since it has been ages since i have attempted to port anything into FF7, but i know there is a set number of textures that you are allowed to use, i think that was seven. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Theoretically, with a well managed texture, you can have an entire body's worth on one. I'm surprised that there are two wasted on each character. The max texture size is quite large, if I remember correctly. It's all possible to completely retexture the characters if it's planned well.

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
« Reply #3 on: 2010-04-24 15:13:50 »
the best textures for you to be playing with are the battle textures for locations.
check on the reconstruction sheets battle.lgp section to find the textures of the battle locations (floors mostly)
reconstruction sheet link
the battle ones start @ oh** textures. ones in the first area would prolly be best since it would help w/ the current team avalanche bombing mission project link. using the pictures on the sheet as a referance start a new picture at 8x the textures size and add the  picture as a background layer (scale it up accordingly) and then create a new layer over it (and use the transparency of the layer to see the background as a guide for your new texture) when your all done you can play w/ it in game by saving it as a .jpg(you might want to scale it down to a smaller size based on your play res, but keep the huge one for TA to use they will scale a few versions for the low and high res patches) and converting it w/ imgtotex save it as the file your replacing. then extract your lgp file back up the orringal texture (just incase) and replace it w/ you new one then pack the file back up and try ingame (DO NOT DELETE YOUR .PSD FILE).

you can extract your lgp files using aali's lgp tools (its a cli program) grab my installer link install the version for your so (prolly windows). and then run a command prompt. and use
Code: (unarchive) [Select]
C:\unlgp.exe <sourceLGParchivepath> to extract ( i recommend copying your lgp file to a new folder since it will extract the files to where the lgp is located.

to repack the archive its bascily the same thing
Code: [Select]
C:\lgp.exe <sourcefolder> <outputfile> please remember to remove the orringal .lgp file from the folder before you attempt to recompress the lgp. also note if you install my version you can browse to where the files are located using cd and still use lgp and unlgp (since they are installed in /system32).

hope that helps.