Author Topic: LaCie USB Disk Drive BSOD crash  (Read 8141 times)

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
LaCie USB Disk Drive BSOD crash
« on: 2010-05-21 17:54:22 »
im trying to get some big files on my USB disk drive from LaCie, but every single time i try, i get the blue screen of death, this occured on my laptop too prior to its crash and im very fed up with this happening, does anyone know what might be causing this problem?

ultima espio

• View Profile
Re: LaCie USB Disk Drive BSOD crash
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-21 18:03:37 »
OMG i thought this was about a pendrive with the L'cie brand on it hahahaha

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-21 18:09:38 »
OMG i thought this was about a pendrive with the L'cie brand on it hahahaha

no, this is the big 500 GB portable disk drive, and theres no point in having it if it just keeps crashing my computers

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-21 20:58:47 »
You could try repairing it with CHKDSK, it worked for a friend of mine who was having similar problems:

Go to START
Go to RUN
type in cmd (command-prompt opens up)
type in chkdsk #: /R (where you should put drive letter in place of #)

This takes a really long time from what I heard.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-22 01:34:20 »
You could try repairing it with CHKDSK, it worked for a friend of mine who was having similar problems:

Go to START
Go to RUN
type in cmd (command-prompt opens up)
type in chkdsk #: /R (where you should put drive letter in place of #)

This takes a really long time from what I heard.

so sinse mine uses K: ii should put chkdsk K: /R ?

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-22 01:38:48 »
Yep

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-22 01:40:33 »
Yep

i'll give it a try

EDIT

everytime i try, it gives me some lip about a VOLUME and then says i have to unmount my VOLUME of the drive... or something like that, it gives me some confusing words
« Last Edit: 2010-05-22 01:53:17 by Jaitsu »

idl12

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-22 02:55:02 »
Well, I've never actually had a problem like this myself so I'm not to sure but I'll look into for you, it would really help if you were to post the brand of the external drive you're using.

EDIT:
and what exactly does the message say?

Edit2:
        Also make sure it's formatted a NTFS and not FAT32, according to one of my pals, a FAT32 format has trouble with transferring big files.(not too sure about this one though, from what I gather, it fixed it for some and made it worse for others, I've never gotten the opportunity to mess around with an external HDD so I'll ask some people who have.)
« Last Edit: 2010-05-22 03:21:00 by idl12 »

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-22 04:31:56 »
Yep

i'll give it a try

EDIT

everytime i try, it gives me some lip about a VOLUME and then says i have to unmount my VOLUME of the drive... or something like that, it gives me some confusing words

The problem is your syntax.It should be chkdsk #: /R (where you should put the volume number in place of #) To find out the volume go to disk manager (Right click on "My Computer" and choose manage then choose "Disk Manager"). You'll find your drives listed as disk 0, disk 1, etc. The number after disk is the volume number.

Also make sure it's formatted a NTFS and not FAT32, according to one of my pals, a FAT32 format has trouble with transferring big files.(not too sure about this one though, from what I gather, it fixed it for some and made it worse for others, I've never gotten the opportunity to mess around with an external HDD so I'll ask some people who have.)

Your friend is correct.
« Last Edit: 2010-05-22 04:38:34 by therage800 »

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-22 05:28:21 »
Yep

i'll give it a try

EDIT

The problem is your syntax.It should be chkdsk #: /R (where you should put the volume number in place of #) To find out the volume go to disk manager (Right click on "My Computer" and choose manage then choose "Disk Manager"). You'll find your drives listed as disk 0, disk 1, etc. The number after disk is the volume number.

Your friend is correct.

im absolutely sure its NFTS

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-22 05:43:35 »
Yep

i'll give it a try

EDIT

Your friend is correct.

im absolutely sure its NFTS NTFS

Whether it's NTFS or not is another matter. You should still run chkdsk.

Prince Lex

• Opinionfact is Redundancy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-23 16:15:00 »
I have a 1TB LaCie external drive and i've yet to have a problem with it, but after I bought it I heard really bad things about it. Apparently they use really cheap drives and cover them with the flashy LaCie covers. Here's hoping nothing bad happens to mine.

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-23 16:50:10 »
i tried puting all the files that were big into one .rar file, even though the file size was huge, for some reason, it went on, im gonna test again later

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-24 17:18:33 »
Make sure you un-rar it to make sure it's not corrupt. Rar files corrupt easily and given that your drive may have a bad sector that rar, unbeknownst to you, may be corrupt.

Nightmarish

• owari da
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-24 21:26:18 »
And this is why i always buy WD drives. My 750gb 2.5 one cost me 130€  :'(

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-25 02:39:35 »
Make sure you un-rar it to make sure it's not corrupt. Rar files corrupt easily and given that your drive may have a bad sector that rar, unbeknownst to you, may be corrupt.

i unrared the .rar i put in first once i got it onto my hardrive (this is old Zeus: Master of Olympus and Poseidon: Master of Atlantis isos, sinse i can't use the disks anymore) and got them working fine

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-25 04:42:11 »
OK, now, did you ever run check disk?

Jaitsu

• DON'T FWOOSH ME BRO
    • View Profile
    • Jaitsu Studios
« Reply #17 on: 2010-05-26 00:46:47 »
OK, now, did you ever run check disk?
i tried, however, evenw when putting in the drive number, it doesn't recognize it

therage800

• View Profile
    • TheRage800
« Reply #18 on: 2010-05-26 02:42:27 »
Uh, I'm not sure what your doing wrong... Hmm, OK, you can do it the easy way, although it's not quite as powerful. Go to Computer (My Computer in Pre-Vista), right click on the drive and choose properties, go to the tools tab, and scan the drive for errors.