Author Topic: FFVII Cursor At Startup  (Read 10138 times)

AmberJayde

FFVII Cursor At Startup
« on: 2010-05-28 20:44:16 »
I'm not sure if this has been addressed before, and I'm sorry if this is a double post, but I've been trying to get Final Fantasy VII to work for months.  This is the legit PC version that I bought. I've put the 1.02 patch plus the K-Lite-Codec pack on it, and I never installed the Truemotion program, so I never even had to disable that.

I'm running Windows Vista Home Premium on a 32-bit operating system. I've made this game work with another computer that has Vista, and all I installed was the K-lite pack.

The game installed smoothly and even started up normally, but as soon as I get to the screen with the options "New Game" and "Continue" my cursor goes beserk and starts jumping back and forth between the two options. I've tried to press the 'ok' button but all i can do it ctrl-alt-delete and end the program.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I should do?

sithlord48

• Dark Lord of the Savegame
    • View Profile
    • Blackchocobo
Re: FFVII Cursor At Startup
« Reply #1 on: 2010-05-29 02:06:50 »
i would check any joysticks that you might have pluged. sometimes with controllers one of the sticks or d-pad will drift and some games will register the movement. yours maybe stuck in a diagonal forcing the cursor to constently change direction. then again if you don't have a controller plugged i guess this is not all to helpful.

AmberJayde

« Reply #2 on: 2010-05-29 02:48:35 »
I don't have any external controllers attached to my computer.

thanks for the suggestion though :). All help is appreciated

nikfrozty

• Cloud kicks Sephiroth's Butt Anytime
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2010-05-29 10:15:03 »
I'd have that problem before too but I have an external controller like sithlord 48 and one or two of its button is destroyed and when not pressed the default is they are pressed to move down. This is a rather stupid solution but if you really want to play the game now just start the game and when the mouse starts to mess with your game again unplug your mouse. You'd play the game with the keyboard anyway. Its not a fix but it enables you to play the game. Let's just wait for someone to figure out your problem. :)

AmberJayde

« Reply #4 on: 2010-05-29 17:22:02 »
I use a wireless keyboard and mouse, so I took the batteries out of my mouse before I started up the game. The cursor didn't start jumping back and forth until I put in some type of input from the keyboard. It stayed on the 'continue' option until I pressed the 'up' command on the numpad, and the problem persists.
I think it might have to do with external devices attached, but I'm not sure. I'll check in the control panel if i have anything else attached.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2010-05-29 20:39:29 »
sounds like a odd problem, you could try using the laptop patch, that should change the keys FF7 uses and may make a difference (the laptop patch changes the FF7 controls since alot of laptops dont have the numberpad, so basically it allows laptop users to use their normal keys to control FF7, so after applying the patch you may need to use different keys but if this fixes the problem its a small price to pay)
also you may want to try Aali's Custom driver and see if that helps (i doubt it will with this problem but you never know)

AmberJayde

« Reply #6 on: 2010-05-29 20:46:35 »
PROBLEM RESOLVED :D

thanks for the suggestion, the laptop patch seemed to do the trick :)

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2010-05-29 20:48:43 »
Wow I never knew about the laptop patch. I should be getting my laptop this year and this patch is certainly a must!!

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2010-05-29 20:58:55 »
PROBLEM RESOLVED :D

thanks for the suggestion, the laptop patch seemed to do the trick :)
nice to hear that fixed the problem, hopefully you wont have anymore problems.

Wow I never knew about the laptop patch. I should be getting my laptop this year and this patch is certainly a must!!
yeah the patch is really usefull, i have a few laptops and the 2 i have ff7 installed on i find that patch to be a god send (im proberly being a little dramatic here but i do find it usefull)

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2010-05-29 21:54:14 »
BTW when it says laptop patch what does it actually "patch"??

sl1982

• Administrator
  • GUI Master :P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2010-05-29 21:55:40 »
It remaps the keys for people that do not have a number pad.

nikfrozty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2010-05-29 21:58:40 »
Oh.. Then this patch is all good then. At least square still supported the pc version of the game even if it is many years old.

AmberJayde

« Reply #12 on: 2010-05-30 01:09:32 »
aw, false alarm :/

The credits rolled but then when I tried to pull up the menu to change controls the cursor went crazy on the menu :/

I have a feeling its my mouse and keyboard that are interfering. I think I might just switch to my laptop and play final fantasy on there :)
thanks for all the help tho, at least I've narrowed down what the problem is coming from :)

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 2010-05-30 08:03:56 »
aw, false alarm :/

The credits rolled but then when I tried to pull up the menu to change controls the cursor went crazy on the menu :/

I have a feeling its my mouse and keyboard that are interfering. I think I might just switch to my laptop and play final fantasy on there :)
thanks for all the help tho, at least I've narrowed down what the problem is coming from :)

So it worked until you tried to change control's ?
This is a weird problem, do you have another keyboard and mouse you can test it with ? (also if your keyboard and mouse came with software that can often interfere with some games)

AmberJayde

« Reply #14 on: 2010-05-30 15:38:48 »
Well, I'm pretty sure it has to do with the type of mouse and keyboard, but I have another set of the same make. I'll try syncing those two, but I'm not sure if it'll make a difference.

Kranmer

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 2010-05-30 16:25:21 »
well a good way of finding out what the cause is, is to unplug things once it starts happening, so go to the menu where the problem happens then unplug the mouse first and see if it continues, then the keyboard and see if it continues, and if it keeps going even without them connected then you may be closer to the cause, also if you have a controller you could plug in to use you could always leave your mouse and keyboard unplugged and just use the joypad.

AmberJayde

« Reply #16 on: 2010-05-30 19:37:28 »
well, I tried switching the keyboard, to no avail. And then I realized that as soon as I started controlling Cloud the menu automatically pulled up, without me pressing anything. I took out the mouse batteries, followed by the keyboard batteries, and the cursor didn't stop.