Author Topic: Modder Repository: Enemy attacks for player character spells  (Read 5341 times)

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
You may know that enemy attack animations can be co-opted to create new spell animations for players. What you may not know is which of these enemy attacks can be cannibalized.

This thread seeks to resolve that by listing the attack animations you can use.

If you want to know how to turn enemy attack animation indexes into spell indexes, see here.

Here is the spreadsheet: https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Avv5n_dvnE2jdFVMUEpqNm5jVFk3SUYwdnI4S1JXTlE&hl=en

I will add more to this sheet soon. That said, please post any omissions you've spotted.

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Most excellent. It's true we really need a complete file with all the attack animation indexes for both the PC and the PSX versions.

As to improve it, I see you listed the Kernel Magic indexes, but may I suggest to also add the Scene indexes (which are the same for PC & PSX) ? I have a file on my comp which lists them all. Here it is **LINK REMOVED - use the updated one at the end of the post**. They are in the ID column, of course (the IDs listed to the right are the PC Kernel IDs you already listed).

I also noticed that the animation IDs for the Item command are also different in the PC version, from the PSX version... ...It'd be cool to add them, but I don't have much documentation =/

EDIT:

OK, I did some testing. First, in case anyone is confused when I said that the PSX and the PC versions don't share the same animation IDs for items, allow me to be more precise : they do share the same animations, but for the 'item' effects the original game uses. For example, the ID '1A' is the Sleep effect, for both the PC & PSX, since this effect is used by the item 'Sleep Powder'.

What I mean is, after a certain point, the animations ID diverge. For example, if you give an item an animation ID of 9A and test the item in the PC version, you'll see the Water Gun effect. But if you test this item in the PSX version, you'll see Leviathan (but without Leviathan himself) - the huge tidal wave attack with Lev's scream and all.

I just tried many attack item IDs in the PSX version, and it seems the logic of the PC version doesn't exist. As such, while the ID 'C0' calls Sewer Tsunami (the normal one), the previous byte (BF) isn't Twin Burner as one would expect from the Enemy attack list, but the lightning attack Schizo uses (I don't remember the name, atm), while the 'B7' and 'C2' animations don't exist, etc... ...I can tell that it will be a pain to map the PSX item animations indexes.

Anyways, I updated my "sorts ennemis.txt" (translate as enemy spells.txt) with the Item Animation indexes for the PC version :) Download it here **LINK REMOVED - use the updated one at the end of the post**. I just hope you make the text file fullscreen and have a high resolution so each line concerns a different spell :P (it won't look good / be easy to understand with a low res)

EDIT 2:

Here is a better text-file, more English & low resolution-friendly.
« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 22:29:50 by Armorvil »

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
It's probably a good idea to fork discussion of the item anims into a separate thread. That's not because I don't want to discuss them - it's because they might get missed otherwise!

We really need to document both the item and the limit animations.

What I mean is, after a certain point, the animations ID diverge. For example, if you give an item an animation ID of 9A and test the item in the PC version, you'll see the Water Gun effect. But if you test this item in the PSX version, you'll see Leviathan (but without Leviathan himself) - the huge tidal wave attack with Lev's scream and all.

If 9A for an item creates Water Gun in the PC version, that means item animations start 0x48 before spell animations for that platform. Leviathan has absolute index 53 on the PSX (at least relative to spells), which confirms that again, item anims come 0x48 before spell animations.

Interesting. Let me come back after my lunch (!) and I'll put together the clues...

« Last Edit: 2011-03-16 22:35:45 by Bosola »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
It's probably a good idea to fork discussion of the item anims into a separate thread. That's not because I don't want to discuss them - it's because they might get missed otherwise!

Alright, I understand :) Still, I just edited my above text file so it would be more small resolution-friendly. I'll just edit my previous links to link to the new one.

We really need to document both the item and the limit animations.

Ha yes, I almost forgot about the limits...

If 9A for an item creates Water Gun in the PC version, that means item animations start 0x48 before spell animations for that platform. Leviathan has absolute index 53 on the PSX (at least relative to spells), which confirms that again, item anims come 0x48 before spell animations.

Interesting. Let me come back after my lunch (!) and I'll put together the clues...

I can't wait for more technical info  :D

Bosola

• Fire hazard!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
That little tidbit told me everything I needed to know. Here's how the animations must be mapped, I believe (click to expand):

So, there's a range of 512 values. Spells sit right in the middle, with a 'default offset' of 256.

In summary, this means that:
* Items can look like spells or enemy skills
* You can use item animations for limits

I'll have to test this properly tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 2011-07-18 01:10:50 by Bosola »