Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4993898 times)

ulurujamman

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.5)
« Reply #9025 on: 2020-03-17 16:46:55 »
Getting antsy for another playthrough of this but I've just seen you're planning to release an updated version of New Threat in the next couple weeks? Will it be mostly bug fixes/balance, or significant enough new content that I should really hold off until then?

Relatedly, as someone who enjoyed the hardcore mod elements of the early NT builds, what would you recommend to someone looking to really maximise the difficulty? Playing without Mr Smile, maybe?

Tombery

• View Profile
« Reply #9026 on: 2020-03-17 18:04:09 »
Getting antsy for another playthrough of this but I've just seen you're planning to release an updated version of New Threat in the next couple weeks? Will it be mostly bug fixes/balance, or significant enough new content that I should really hold off until then?

I also wanted to do another playtrough before I play the remake, so I´m interested in this too. Will NT 2.0 be a "different" experience or just some tweaks?

Thanks again for your fantastic work.

evermuzik

• View Profile
« Reply #9027 on: 2020-03-18 04:00:05 »
Hey, sorry if this has been asked before.

Im experiencing a weird bug with my save file. I saved on the Mr Smile screen and had to close the game. When I enter back into the save file, im back at Mr Smiles screen. When I leave the screen, im at the Nibelheim reactor where the moster pods were, and everything is bugged out. I feel like my save file is screwed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #9028 on: 2020-03-18 04:11:06 »
Sega Chief has mentioned that 2.0 is a complete overhaul. IIRC, he's even managed to patch out the entire concept of leveling up from experience. Character strength will instead be determined by stats granted from story milestones.

So if you're about to start a new game, I'd definitely suggest waiting for 2.0 to drop.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9029 on: 2020-03-18 05:06:31 »
@SC

When 2.0 is released, do you want 1.5 wiped from catalogs? Or will you continue to support both?

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #9030 on: 2020-03-18 07:47:40 »
Is the Gold Chocobo you get from the Guidebook item supposed to be worthless for racing? I gave mine a ton of Silkys Greens, and it can't even win in A class, let alone S class.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9031 on: 2020-03-18 09:23:53 »

Relatedly, as someone who enjoyed the hardcore mod elements of the early NT builds, what would you recommend to someone looking to really maximise the difficulty? Playing without Mr Smile, maybe?

I also wanted to do another playtrough before I play the remake, so I´m interested in this too. Will NT 2.0 be a "different" experience or just some tweaks?

Thanks again for your fantastic work.

It's an overhaul so it will be different. The Arrange mode (renamed Game Type B) has an extra twist added to it.

Hey, sorry if this has been asked before.

Im experiencing a weird bug with my save file. I saved on the Mr Smile screen and had to close the game. When I enter back into the save file, im back at Mr Smiles screen. When I leave the screen, im at the Nibelheim reactor where the moster pods were, and everything is bugged out. I feel like my save file is screwed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Save Anywhere is a dangerous thing to use because there are a fair number of fields and events that are not designed to handle a direct reload into them. You should only use it when you aren't in some kind of scene or event, and on a screen that has regular character navigation. Even then, always save to a separate slot. Same goes for PHS but it's typically a bad idea to use PHS when its locked as it can break certain scenes if you swap in different characters (Junon raid where Barret is party lead for instance expects Cait Sith and Yuffie).

I'll post something in the Discord about it; Save Anywhere has caused a few problems like this for other people. As for your softlock, I would open your save file in the Black Chocobo save editor tool and warp your character to where you accessed the Rank Up system from (for instance, if you accessed it from Mythril Mines then teleport yourself there).

Sega Chief has mentioned that 2.0 is a complete overhaul. IIRC, he's even managed to patch out the entire concept of leveling up from experience. Character strength will instead be determined by stats granted from story milestones.

So if you're about to start a new game, I'd definitely suggest waiting for 2.0 to drop.

That's not quite right; what I've done is change it to use a combination of stat growths from level ups and the Source upgrades. In the current build you get a flat +5 to every stat regardless of the upgrade but that's been replaced by the Level Up growths coming back. The SP system itself was retired so that upgrades now come at fixed intervals (after beating a boss/story milestone). I also revamped the menus for it so that you can pick which characters to upgrade and leave others until later + see what everyone's current rank and the max threshold is at any time.

@SC

When 2.0 is released, do you want 1.5 wiped from catalogs? Or will you continue to support both?

I was going to support both, but it might be a good idea to leave 1.5 off the catalogs and just have that be a single IRO on this thread to avoid confusion over which version to use. 1.5 is going to get some bug-fixes to go with 2.0's release.

Is the Gold Chocobo you get from the Guidebook item supposed to be worthless for racing? I gave mine a ton of Silkys Greens, and it can't even win in A class, let alone S class.

I think it starts off that way; if you breed it though then you should get a much better Gold racing chocobo. I could look into adjusting the stats of that Gold chocobo.

EQ2Alyza

• 7th Heaven Crew
  • Global moderator
  • Dilly-Dally Shilly-Shally
    • View Profile
    • EQ2Alyza - YouTube Channel
« Reply #9032 on: 2020-03-18 10:45:55 »
I was going to support both, but it might be a good idea to leave 1.5 off the catalogs and just have that be a single IRO on this thread to avoid confusion over which version to use. 1.5 is going to get some bug-fixes to go with 2.0's release.

Will do. Admittedly, I’ve still yet to play New Theat, so I’m looking forward to this release  :)

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #9033 on: 2020-03-18 14:37:39 »
Newbie question: when morph-ing I only do damage in the double digits (start of the game, just reached Costa del Sol). Is this normal damage or is there some way to make morph more effective? Because as it is, I have to waste several turns to whittle down about 100 damage as about then every attack outright kills. I have not tried it yet but if gravity is percentage damage (of *current* hp) it could help, the problem is that so many enemies are immune to it.

evermuzik

• View Profile
« Reply #9034 on: 2020-03-18 17:08:09 »
Save Anywhere is a dangerous thing to use because there are a fair number of fields and events that are not designed to handle a direct reload into them. You should only use it when you aren't in some kind of scene or event, and on a screen that has regular character navigation. Even then, always save to a separate slot. Same goes for PHS but it's typically a bad idea to use PHS when its locked as it can break certain scenes if you swap in different characters (Junon raid where Barret is party lead for instance expects Cait Sith and Yuffie).

I'll post something in the Discord about it; Save Anywhere has caused a few problems like this for other people. As for your softlock, I would open your save file in the Black Chocobo save editor tool and warp your character to where you accessed the Rank Up system from (for instance, if you accessed it from Mythril Mines then teleport yourself there).
[/quote]

Thank you! This solved my issue for now. You're a great one.

Maziac

• View Profile
« Reply #9035 on: 2020-03-18 21:10:11 »
Newbie question: when morph-ing I only do damage in the double digits (start of the game, just reached Costa del Sol). Is this normal damage or is there some way to make morph more effective? Because as it is, I have to waste several turns to whittle down about 100 damage as about then every attack outright kills. I have not tried it yet but if gravity is percentage damage (of *current* hp) it could help, the problem is that so many enemies are immune to it.

That's normal, Morphing is meant to be hard. In the end of the game, one of the characters Ultimate weapon has an effect allowing it to Morph with normal damage, making it easier in the end. You've got the right idea with Gravity spells, but yes, many enemies are immune to it. Laser enemy skill is great too, before you get access to Demi 2 and 3.

I wouldn't worry too much about the Morphs, it was fun for a while but in the end it's very tedious. I don't even recall getting many worthwhile special items, though undoubtedly there must some useful ones.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9036 on: 2020-03-18 22:56:55 »

Morph has a heavy damage penalty attached to it, which is unchanged from the base game. Generally the best thing to do is Sense the enemy to get a record of its HP and then press Select/Assist in-battle to keep track of the enemy's current HP. Reducing its HP to within a reasonable range is the next step; if a regular attack/spell is too much and will kill the enemy, then consider using a weaker character or an item like Grenade to reduce HP closer to 0.

Fauve

• View Profile
« Reply #9037 on: 2020-03-18 23:13:51 »
That's not quite right; what I've done is change it to use a combination of stat growths from level ups and the Source upgrades. In the current build you get a flat +5 to every stat regardless of the upgrade but that's been replaced by the Level Up growths coming back. The SP system itself was retired so that upgrades now come at fixed intervals (after beating a boss/story milestone). I also revamped the menus for it so that you can pick which characters to upgrade and leave others until later + see what everyone's current rank and the max threshold is at any time.
Ooh nice. Sounds similar to Chrono Cross star level ups after major events/bossess. I imagine it'll be easier to maintain a sweet difficulty curve with this system as well. 

I believe the weapons you get from Temple of the Ancients give full damage morphs, so that should help a bit. They have limited Materia slots however.
« Last Edit: 2020-03-18 23:15:23 by Fauve »

Ethan0l93

• View Profile
« Reply #9038 on: 2020-03-19 00:54:20 »
Hey Sega,
I've been playing for around 60 hours and I have had pretty much no bugs until now. Whenever I'm fighting Chokhmabo and he uses M.A.D breath, my game crashes.
Do you have an idea of what might be happening/ how to fix it?
-Thanks!

epsilon

• View Profile
« Reply #9039 on: 2020-03-19 16:15:29 »
Ok, thanks for all the answers on Morph-ing. I knew that in vanilla there was a heavy damage penalty and that Yuffie's conformer bypasses it, but given the extra importance of morphs in getting good items on the mod (as evinced by the enemy spreadsheet) I thought maybe there was a trick I was missing.

On a completely unrelated note. Maybe this is not the best thread but I will just go ahead and ask anyway. I am on linux (arch linux to be precise) and can run ff7 with the new threat installer through wine just fine -- which is the most important to me, but I am missing on all the audio and graphical improvement mods, because all my attempts at installing either Reunion or 7th Heaven have failed. Has anyone here managed to get them running? And if yes, what were the precise steps you took? Or more modestly, has anybody a link to someone somewhere that has managed it, because my google fu is weak and has turned up nothing.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9040 on: 2020-03-19 16:55:27 »
Hey Sega,
I've been playing for around 60 hours and I have had pretty much no bugs until now. Whenever I'm fighting Chokhmabo and he uses M.A.D breath, my game crashes.
Do you have an idea of what might be happening/ how to fix it?
-Thanks!

MAD uses Aire Tam Storm's animation if I remember right. Do you have any spell texture mods installed or any other graphical enhancements?

Ok, thanks for all the answers on Morph-ing. I knew that in vanilla there was a heavy damage penalty and that Yuffie's conformer bypasses it, but given the extra importance of morphs in getting good items on the mod (as evinced by the enemy spreadsheet) I thought maybe there was a trick I was missing.

On a completely unrelated note. Maybe this is not the best thread but I will just go ahead and ask anyway. I am on linux (arch linux to be precise) and can run ff7 with the new threat installer through wine just fine -- which is the most important to me, but I am missing on all the audio and graphical improvement mods, because all my attempts at installing either Reunion or 7th Heaven have failed. Has anyone here managed to get them running? And if yes, what were the precise steps you took? Or more modestly, has anybody a link to someone somewhere that has managed it, because my google fu is weak and has turned up nothing.

You could try the manual method.

You need Luksy's ULGP tool which can unpack and then repack archives that hold models, etc. You can then drag-drop model files into the unpacked archives to replace the default models, repack, and it should be ready for use. Battle.lgp holds battle models (enemies, characters, battle backgrounds), char.lgp holds field models, and flevel.lgp holds the backgrounds. I'm not 100% sure how the process works with field backgrounds for the Steam version. Audio should be a similar deal but unsure what tool handles these. I've been able to extract audio files in the past but it was a long time ago. However, you can rename Steam's .OGG files to whatever you want.

If however you are using the 1998 PC version with Aali's Custom Driver then there should be some extra folders in your directory called 'direct' and things like that. This folder is able to replace Field backgrounds, battle backgrounds, texture files, etc. automatically just by having the right files in there. It's very similar to how Reunion currently works.

Ethan0l93

• View Profile
« Reply #9041 on: 2020-03-19 22:34:10 »
MAD uses Aire Tam Storm's animation if I remember right. Do you have any spell texture mods installed or any other graphical enhancements?

Nope, All I have is the New threat stuff from the regular installer.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9042 on: 2020-03-19 22:35:45 »
All right, I'll add it to my notes for the 1.5 maintenance patch; in the meantime I'll quickly make a different scene.bin that uses an alternate animation.

Meical

• View Profile
« Reply #9043 on: 2020-03-20 00:54:10 »
I was wondering if the Definitive Mod From Sector 48's page was compatible with New Threat.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9044 on: 2020-03-20 13:36:39 »
I was wondering if the Definitive Mod From Sector 48's page was compatible with New Threat.

No, but NT has its own skips for lengthy cutscenes, etc.

Ryudo

• View Profile
« Reply #9045 on: 2020-03-20 19:30:32 »
It's an overhaul so it will be different. The Arrange mode (renamed Game Type B) has an extra twist added to it.

I think it starts off that way; if you breed it though then you should get a much better Gold racing chocobo. I could look into adjusting the stats of that Gold chocobo.

I just left Midgar in my new game with New Threat 1.5, on the road to Kalm. Do you have any idea when 2.0 might be released? Is it worth waiting for this, or can I continue 1.5?

coredumperror

• View Profile
« Reply #9046 on: 2020-03-21 08:12:20 »
I just got the Leviathan Scales, and went to Da-Chao to get the loot. The materia won't let me pick it up without Yuffie in my party, and while I see Yuffie standing there, talking to her doesn't do anything. She just says "Lets pick up the loot" and then nothing happens.

I'm assuming that's supposed to trigger PHS, so that I can swap her into my party. But that doesn't happen.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9047 on: 2020-03-21 14:12:16 »
I just left Midgar in my new game with New Threat 1.5, on the road to Kalm. Do you have any idea when 2.0 might be released? Is it worth waiting for this, or can I continue 1.5?

I would carry on.

I just got the Leviathan Scales, and went to Da-Chao to get the loot. The materia won't let me pick it up without Yuffie in my party, and while I see Yuffie standing there, talking to her doesn't do anything. She just says "Lets pick up the loot" and then nothing happens.

I'm assuming that's supposed to trigger PHS, so that I can swap her into my party. But that doesn't happen.

It just places the model without checking if she's there or not; I'll add a check.

DKOmni

• View Profile
« Reply #9048 on: 2020-03-21 18:03:05 »
So i have an extremely odd circumstance.

I have completely lost my save file of NTM v1.5, and have spent all day trying to get it back to no avail.
Would BlackChocobo work to build my save file? (I've been recording it for YT so i have all my stats/inv/lvl/etc)
and if so is there anywhere in the files to see which vanilla items have been changed into which NTM items?

For the record i was 35hrs in and just beat Phrenia so restarting isnt really my first choice...

Ryudo

• View Profile
« Reply #9049 on: 2020-03-21 18:09:47 »
I would carry on.

It just places the model without checking if she's there or not; I'll add a check.

Thanks, will do!

I'll probably do another complete playthrough with 2.0 when it does get released regardless. In the mean time I'll continue 1.5