Author Topic: hi res patch crashing.  (Read 5655 times)

omnivorism

• View Profile
hi res patch crashing.
« on: 2009-09-08 23:57:30 »
Ok so i have been working on getting this game up and running on an off for a few week now, and have made some progress, but I am still not quite where I want to be.

I got the game to install.

I got the patch 1.02 to install

I got the openeng or what not installed.  It still worked, but i noticed no real change visually.

I tried to change the config settings to nvidia tnt, and installed the saint patch, and now it will crash before even getting to the start new game screen. ( i have a nvidia 6200 card)

I saw elsewhere that someone said that the saints hi res patch is obsolete because of the openeng patch now. Although I didnt see any difference.
I have this game on ps1 also, and could also run it via an emulator on the pc, but  I am specifically trying to get a visually improved version of this game with the battle character models etc as the normally playable ones.

Also, this is actually part of a dedicating gaming set up. So I am using a television and not a monitor. So therefore in the settings it limites my resolution to something around 1000x750. Is this really an issue? I plan to update to a hider preformance pc and a lcd tv later, but this is my current set up.

So can someone explain to me if there is a simple solution to my problem?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
Re: hi res patch crashing.
« Reply #1 on: 2009-09-09 00:09:18 »
Have you actually used the custom graphics driver? I'm asking because it isn't obvious whether you did from your post :-P

If your TV can give you a 1000x750 display (that's quite a weird resolution BTW; are you sure it isn't 960x720?), then you should be able to see the difference if you're sitting fairly close to the TV or the TV is big. If it's a small TV or you're sitting far away from it, it will be harder to see the difference than it will be when you play it on a monitor.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2009-09-09 00:17:33 »
well i dont know what you mean exactly by "used" the custom driver. (I asume you mean the openeng) I installed it.  I checked my config. it still said software render, but it changed to opengl something or other. and i clicked it on nvidia tnt. Is this correct?

As for the tv settings, i normally have it on a lower one. I run mugen on it and many other things. 640x something or other.

But i looked at the highest possible res, and it was around 700x1000. Its hooked up to an insigina 19' now (now my normal pc which I am using now)

I test this game on this pc also, but i couldnt get the high res patch to install because of some c32 or something error, but i managed to overcome that on the dedicated somehow with reinstalling.

Like I said I plan to update to an lcd monitor with dual core and a 9xxx video card eventually. This is part of a strictly gaming pc, loaded to the gills. I just want the game to be working in hi res with battle character models now, I dont really even plan to play it now.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2009-09-09 00:19:34 »
oops typo.

I meant NOT not Now about the tv monitor.

My internet pc uses a regular monitor.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2009-09-09 00:43:49 »
well i dont know what you mean exactly by "used" the custom driver. (I asume you mean the openeng) I installed it.  I checked my config. it still said software render, but it changed to opengl something or other. and i clicked it on nvidia tnt. Is this correct?

Ah, now it makes sense! :-D

If you go into FF7 config after installing Aali's driver, you'll reset it so the game will play normally again.

After running ff7_opengl.reg, don't touch FF7 config.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2009-09-09 00:55:25 »
ok thank you. i will try again soon and see if it works.

can you confirm for me though,

the open eng patch DOES have large character models right?

And I have no use for the saint patch now right?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2009-09-09 01:02:31 »
the open eng patch DOES have large character models right?

Nani? The open gl doesn't come with any high-res character models, if that's what you mean; you have to install them separately. However, the high-res model look much better when you use the open gl.

And I have no use for the saint patch now right?

No. IIRC, The open gl does everything better, and doesn't create any problems (since a few people, including you, apparently, have had problems when using the high-res patch).

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2009-09-09 01:31:41 »
can you point me to the hi res model (not chibi) character patch that would work best for my needs?

I am looking but don't see it yet.

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2009-09-09 01:38:08 »
I use the chibi models on the field, so I'm not really sure what to suggest. The Phoenix Rejuvenation Project seems to be the most up-to-date one, but I don't know where in the thread the newest link is :roll:

As for battle models, there are currently very high-res Cloud and Barret models, with more to come.

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2009-09-09 03:14:36 »
Yeah I was looking at that one, figure it was the one to go with.

However my problems are not solved.

I tried again with a reinstall (though i overwrote in the same folder, so I may have some left over crap interfering)

reinstalled ff7
installed patch 1.02
installed chocobo patch
installed openeng

I did not touch the config other than closing it after it opened automatically from the new install.

Intro movies and load screen look the same.
New game loads to the train station. the background images are not displaying properly. the look kind of posturized with completely incorrect colors, and looking half reversed, although my characaters look normal. movie animations seem to be normal.

Then i went back to the config and changed it to nvidia tnt

Tried game again, and it displays perfectly normal.

Any idea what the issue is?

Kudistos Megistos

• Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2009-09-09 03:17:10 »
Dunno. Perhaps you could ask in the open gl thread? Also, tell them your computer's specs and operating system.

BTW, you don't need the chocobo patch any more :wink:

omnivorism

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2009-09-09 03:20:26 »
the pc is :

dell optiplex (i think)
pentium 4   2.8
2 gig ram
nvidia 6200 video card

I don't know why this has to be such a pain in the rear.

I will look there though.