Author Topic: Emulating save-states in Final Fantasy VII PC - possible ?  (Read 11925 times)

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Maybe you've seen a couple vids of my own PSX FFVII hack, some kind of hard mode which I didn't complete. It's modded up to the third disk, and after that, I kind of lost interest. You can find a download link here. Anyways, I'm not here to talk about it.

The thing is, since I finally got my hand on the PC version, I'm working on improving my first hack (I had new ideas in the meantime - part of the reason why I scrapped my previous project so close to the end, too). And since the kernel is now so different, I have to once again modify all enemies.

Something I liked while modding the PSX version, was the fact that I could save-state before a random battle (thanks to a PSX emulator, of course), fight the battle, notice that I had to improve the enemy by - for example - giving him a bit more strength and HP, quit the game, do my modifications in Hojo / Proud Clod, boot ePSXe up, and load the state so I could immediately test my changes. Sadly, this is not possible with the PC version, since you can't save everywhere. I also thought about using Save Crystals, but those only work in the North Cave.

So, my question is this : is it possible to make Save Crystals useable everywhere ? Or even better : emulate the save-state function of console emulators ?... ...A feature that would be loved by modders, but also by players who want to be able to quit the game anytime, I'm sure. Insight about such a feature would be welcome :)

EDIT : I found an utility called FF7w, but it doesn't seem to work well with the opengl driver   :-\
« Last Edit: 2010-05-15 22:14:47 by Armorvil »

Covarr

• Covarr-Let
  • Administrator
  • Just Covarr. No "n".
    • View Profile
FF7w isn't the same thing. It just enables the regular save function anywhere, not quite the same as a savestate. On the other hand, it should suit your purposes well enough.

Even if it were possible to make Save Crystals usable anywhere, I wouldn't advise it. It's pretty buggy in the PSX version, I doubt Eidos fixed it in the PC version.

Kranmer

• View Profile
well i made a trainer for the PC version here
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=9743.0
which should allow you to save anywhere (field or worldmap), you can even save while people are talking (the only place you cant save really is in battle)
And its fully compatable with 1.02 FF7 .EXE and Aali's Custom Driver
(use Q+1 with the Trainer to have access to save at any time then use Q+0 to bring up the game's menu while people are talking etc)

EDIT1-
New link for trainer
http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=10004.msg135624#msg135624
« Last Edit: 2010-06-27 10:26:28 by kranmer »

Armorvil

• Working on : FFVII Total Grudge
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice, Covarr :)

And Kranmer, I just tried your trainer... ...and it's amazing ! This is exactly what I was looking for, and it works perfectly, even with FF7Music !  ;D You rock, my friend !!
Wow, there are so many talented people in here, that my thank list, once my work is done, is going to be freakin' huge.

Thank you very much, your trainer really is awesome =D Starting tomorrow, I'll be able to get back to some heavy modding :)

severen

I know it's a long shot, but is the creator of the trainer still around?

Contact - mmueller07 at gm/\il.com

Kranmer

• View Profile
I know it's a long shot, but is the creator of the trainer still around?

Contact - mmueller07 at gm/\il.com
No he isn't  :P
only joking, Yes i am still around, i will e-mail you if you want but could you tell me what it is you want ?

xaoo83

Is there a way to get your trainer ? a direct link or perhabs an email?

Plz contact me  xaoo83 at o2.pl
« Last Edit: 2012-07-28 00:55:35 by xaoo83 »

PitBrat

• Change to feed the machine.
    • View Profile
Here's the link to Kranmer's trainer:

FF7 Trainer 0.7.1v3 By Kranmer.zip              Kranmer         FF7 Trainer                             Qhimm FILE