Author Topic: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v2.0.99994)  (Read 4972238 times)

powerincarnate

• View Profile
Re: [FF7PC-98/Steam] New Threat Mod (v1.3)
« Reply #1300 on: 2015-05-20 13:53:51 »
I keep getting a glitch where the battle is about to start and the game freezes before the battle fully loads when trying to get Yuffie in Kalm. 

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: 2015-05-20 14:31:00 »
Ah, I've forgot to distribute the battle.lgp file. I clean forgot that the Barret used there is actually a new model. Give me a sec-

Edit: Sorry about that: https://mega.co.nz/#!mwUVER5D!oOWoWBxJa3qaf1IA_PCbza2hs_y2cLHJdlnnuH_2n3g

Should be same installation as other hotfixes; just point it at the data folder. For those using alternate battle models, the new one in this .lgp is WG or WH, one of those ( the last one listed).
« Last Edit: 2015-05-20 14:46:41 by Sega Chief »

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: 2015-05-20 16:10:12 »
I wonder if it's possible to make an psx version of the new threat mod :P

Good evening everybody ;)

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: 2015-05-20 16:36:03 »
I've been keeping notes on something like that, and the best direction to take would be to make a different version of the NT mod that takes advantage of the natural strengths of that version. For a start, it'd be a lot more insular so I wouldn't have to worry about compatibility with other mods, so that could translate to all the .exe hacks that are at present only in beta for the PC version of NT; I'd also have up to 9 discs to work with which can each store their own set of files. This could be used for a lot of different purposes, such as branching the story, different party leaders (9 characters, 9 discs :o), scaling difficulty in NG runs like Dark Souls, etc.

There's also some cool tricks I've seen where enemies can be made into controllable party members. I don't know the particulars on that, but there's some interesting possibilities there too. As far as the mod's gameplay goes, I'd likely make a pared down version of NT for it. A lot of the new enemies would be either omitted or scaled down in some way; it depends on the space constraints in the scene + kernel (assuming they're more stringent than the PC ones). That's the biggest limitation of the PS1 files; they can't be too large, and player/enemy models aren't easily altered (the PS1 modders have to do it by Hex, rather than tools like Kimera; props to them, I say).

But then limitations have a way of focusing your attention better, so it could work out into something worthwhile. Once I've got the mod settled here, I'll start making moves toward a re-geared PS1 version of NT...assuming I'm capable of actually doing it, of course; I've very little programming experience and no formal education in it.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-20 16:38:16 by Sega Chief »

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: 2015-05-20 17:04:10 »
You should focus on things you need to finish :P

Every f*cked up pc can run ffvii so why is there a need for psx :D I was just wondering if files management is similar :D

sorry for my english :D

And good work ! :)  I just pwned Abyss and now I got my sexy Ribbon <3

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: 2015-05-20 20:12:20 »
Good work HeaN! As soon as I noticed Abyss dropped a ribbon, I went back and beat him twice more to get a whole team's worth! :P

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: 2015-05-20 20:13:42 »
stop bullying abyss ;_;

Gatchaman

• View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: 2015-05-20 20:38:41 »
I really enjoyed his fight, too. A lot of the extra battles needed a little special attention to setting up to get through, for me.
Love Buster seemed a bit easy, though, if you avoid getting stuck in sleep. He's the one I really picked on, for AP.

EDIT: Also, damn, I mean, that's a lot of commas...

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: 2015-05-20 20:54:53 »
I was grinding to Level 99 just fighting Love Bubster :P

BTW I don't know if you realized but this little f*cker gives you items for every extra boss you beat :P

« Last Edit: 2015-05-20 20:56:27 by HeaN »

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: 2015-05-20 20:58:40 »
Yeah, he dishes out a special Materia based on which boss you've beaten. It's only supposed to be once though, for instance he'll give you one W-Magic Materia after defeating Abyss for the first time. Unless he's dishing out an unlimited supply of them...?

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: 2015-05-21 05:05:47 »
Naah. Everything is working correctly :) The breaker gives you the materia only once :P

FrozenExcalibur

• View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: 2015-05-21 11:03:15 »
I went through all the trouble trying to morph variablis only to discover ultima weapon is weaker than buster sword
Omnislash with Buster Sword = 800 per hit
Omnislash with Ultima Weapon = 500 per hit with 5600 hp

Edit : just go ahead and retried Ultima Weapon with Ominislash with 7261 hp
still doing 500+ damage

« Last Edit: 2015-05-21 11:12:53 by FrozenExcalibur »

racompave

• View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: 2015-05-21 13:58:58 »
It keeps raining everywhere in certain locations ( Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: 2015-05-21 14:59:01 »
I went through all the trouble trying to morph variablis only to discover ultima weapon is weaker than buster sword
Omnislash with Buster Sword = 800 per hit
Omnislash with Ultima Weapon = 500 per hit with 5600 hp

Edit : just go ahead and retried Ultima Weapon with Ominislash with 7261 hp
still doing 500+ damage

Limit Breaks use a 'default' attack formula that ignores the weapon's attack formula; as Ultima Weapon has a base power of 0, it likely means it loses out when using them. When using regular physical attacks, Ultima Weapon should deal more damage.

Ult Weapons have always been a bit of a tricky issue; the default ones with their base power (usually about 90-100 + the special formula) have no trouble hitting for max damage a lot of the time. The two routes I can go with them are to either reduce base power (which the Hardcore mod did) and keep the special formula, or to keep the base power and remove the special formula instead, replacing it with some kind of other effect like Drain HP, inflict status, or character-stat boosts.

It keeps raining everywhere in certain locations ( Nibelheim, Cosmo Canyon).

The rain is triggered on a switch; try resting at an Inn, that should switch it off. If it doesn't, let me know.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-21 15:03:26 by Sega Chief »

racompave

• View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: 2015-05-21 15:15:10 »
Limit Breaks use a 'default' attack formula that ignores the weapon's attack formula; as Ultima Weapon has a base power of 0, it likely means it loses out when using them. When using regular physical attacks, Ultima Weapon should deal more damage.

Ult Weapons have always been a bit of a tricky issue; the default ones with their base power (usually about 90-100 + the special formula) have no trouble hitting for max damage a lot of the time. The two routes I can go with them are to either reduce base power (which the Hardcore mod did) and keep the special formula, or to keep the base power and remove the special formula instead, replacing it with some kind of other effect like Drain HP, inflict status, or character-stat boosts.

The rain is triggered on a switch; try resting at an Inn, that should switch it off. If it doesn't, let me know.

Took a nap at Nebelheim, it didn't work ( it's raining indoors as well ).

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: 2015-05-21 15:18:20 »
Dammit, I better check the switches. I'll upload a patch for it fairly soon.

Edit: Forgot to ask, is this happening with the flevel hotfix patch (May 20th) applied?
« Last Edit: 2015-05-21 15:26:00 by Sega Chief »

racompave

• View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: 2015-05-21 15:24:45 »
Yep, I have the most recent update installed.

Thanks, looking forward to it.

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: 2015-05-21 15:26:13 »
Yeah, I've seen that Nibelheim doesn't have the switch at it's Inn and a fair few fields are using a faulty method for turning off rain indoors. I'll do a sweep and try to catch all of them.

FrozenExcalibur

• View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: 2015-05-21 16:25:02 »

went ahead and did some testing with ultima weapon

buster sword : 500 dmg normal attack
ultima weapon with 7k hp : about 1000 damage normal attack ( no hp reduction materia )
heaven cloud : 1300 damage

i think i'm just gonna stick to heaven cloud since ultima weapon is kinda meh for me
is there anyway to get another ragnarok tho?

HeaN

• Do small steps...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: 2015-05-21 16:58:34 »
I don't have any problems with rain. I go to rest and it switches to normal weather :P

Trying to get Ultima Weapon now with morphing -.- but it's pain in the ass cause...I can't sense the enemy...

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: 2015-05-21 17:08:06 »
went ahead and did some testing with ultima weapon

buster sword : 500 dmg normal attack
ultima weapon with 7k hp : about 1000 damage normal attack ( no hp reduction materia )
heaven cloud : 1300 damage

i think i'm just gonna stick to heaven cloud since ultima weapon is kinda meh for me
is there anyway to get another ragnarok tho?

Hmm, looks like I'll need to re-do some of those Ult weapons; if they're not dealing as much damage as weapons with stat boosts on them then they're not worth using. I'll give them a re-design tonight and see what I can do; I'll likely go with a high base-power + an effect though I'll test it with their special formulas as well.

Is that Variablis you're trying to morph? Here's a method: throw a Vaccine at him to give him the Resist status, this'll cripple his Barrier Pulse counter-attack (he uses this when hit with non-elemental magic Comet, Comet2, or Ultima). Then hit him with one of those spells, preferably Ultima, used by a character with a heavily boosted Magic stat; Variablis has very low Magic Defence so it should hopefully reach close to max damage. He has 41,000HP so 4-5 hits should bring him down to a point where he can be Morphed; use either one of the Ancient/Joke weapons (Nail Bat, etc.) to Morph him, or Yuffie's Conformer if you have it. If you have any Cactuar Needles then two of these can be used to reduce his HP by (almost) 2000 so if the four castings of Ultima landed for 9999 damage then he'll only have a few hundred HP left.

Alternatively, Bahamut and Neo-Bahamut might be good choices; I think they're Shoot element.

Rufus

• View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: 2015-05-21 17:11:48 »
When it rains in towns does it rain on the world map, because if it doesn't I'm not sure that would make a lot of sense.

FrozenExcalibur

• View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: 2015-05-21 17:18:41 »
is there any way to guess variablis element weakness tho
kinda defeat the point if u can just hit him with comet/ultima
i never even manage to hit his weakness once , not even once
i like the idea of boss changing element weakness but if i cant even hit one element spell , it just doesn't feel right

Sega Chief

• These guys is sick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: 2015-05-21 17:20:53 »
Nah, it doesn't apply to the world map. I'm just trying it out to see how it goes, the plan being to use it as part of expanding NPC scripts in towns.

Edit: An flevel patch is up; 21st May. This should hopefully make the weather changes more stable and prevent them from appearing indoors.
« Last Edit: 2015-05-21 18:11:37 by Sega Chief »

Zara9

• View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: 2015-05-21 18:51:01 »
Hey sega chief

is there anyway you could make it thinderstorm and make it snow on your mod please